Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: what you like better
Atlanta area 45 33.83%
NYC 84 63.16%
Neither 4 3.01%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 11:01 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,103,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
our slang comes from actual words pronounced the same way they would normally be pronounced...

son
ma (as in mami)

i don't know anybody that says pa here (but some girls say papi)
shorty (again, actual word)
word
etc.

i'll give you yo. i think that na'mean comes from philly originally...but for the most part, we never cut words off here.

i'll also give you "you know what i'm saying" because that used to be said 50 million times in a sentence back in the day and it was really annoying.
Yall have a accent and do prounce words in a funny way to us Brooklyn is well know for this. But as far as rappers goes Papoose and Mr. Cheeks accents are thick. And slang is slang you can't say we use proper slang LMAO. In the ATL we say shawty "it's funny because you hear non-Atlanta rappers saying it now" not because we can't say shorty but shawty is the prefer slang term. Obliviously the way someone speaks trying to get a job is not the way they would speak to friends.

Quote:
i mean i don't mind or anything. my gf defines herself as country and calls her kids country.
there are cultural differences between us and i still have a little trouble understanding her son when he speaks but there are far more similarities than differences.
i just think that our idea of "country" and her idea are different. country here means backwards, slow, ignorant, etc.
its pretty negative. when she calls herself country i definitely don't think that she sees it as a negative.
"Country" in the big cities in the south means the same thing I know in Atlanta it does. Country basically means here slow paced and not up to date. I starting to think your premise is base on a superior complex, again it’s that not urban Atlantans can’t pronounce words like New Yorkers it just we don’t want to. I don’t like flocka but example “o lets do it” is pounced “o le do it” to get the crowd crunk imagine how ugly sounding it would be saying the full word oh let do it. “The rhythm is not even there” there’s a reason why Atlanta rappers are pronouncing worlds that way. And I say Atlanta because the south isn’t monolithic else where have there own slang. It doesn’t matter because yall are going to call Atlanta country base off a superior complex any way it goes along as Atlantans speak different from yall. Obliviously Atlantans don’t sound like rural New Yorkers “who are county” nor let alone rural Georgians. So the definition of country yall using is bias itself.

Old 10-02-2010, 11:03 AM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,734,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG2010 View Post
EEK have you realized your the only one from NYC on this thread.. The Other NYC posters seem to not really care about this comparison.. WHy do you ??..
its too bad that i'm not the only one from ny that has posted in this thread.

Quote:
By the way Gold teeth arent as popular down south as it use to be, People still have them but there not as popular.. And music wise Chicken noodle soup and My lip gloss be poppin sound very country to me " as you would say".. Im very proud to be from the south and if someone called me country I embrace it.. Just like you should embrace being a city slicker. Being from the city doesnt make you greater than someone living in the south.
lil mama is an embarrassment to us.
around that time, ppl here were talking about "harlem, georgia."

and nobody said or implied that being from one city makes you better than being from another city.

it was just a discussion about things you see in atlanta (and i guess ny) and some sensitive ppl got offended. everything that i've said has been truthful.

Old 10-02-2010, 11:07 AM
eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
Crazy thing about this guy is I remember when hardly anybody was wearing dreads. Then New York rappers in the early 90's came out like crazy rocking dreads hard. Suddenly people from all over America started wearing them.

Now he's saying Dreads are country!
thats 10 years ago. its 2010.

i'm just saying that dreads and gold teeth are pretty much associated with southern ppl nowadays and the majority of the ppl with them are what ppl here would consider country.

that is called an observation. when you have ppl that reinforce certain stereotypes that get played through the media then you will get the perception that you have.

i don't see how anybody could get offended by that.

Old 10-02-2010, 11:08 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,953,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG2010 View Post
EEK have you realized your the only one from NYC on this thread.. The Other NYC posters seem to not really care about this comparison.. WHy do you ??.. By the way Gold teeth arent as popular down south as it use to be, People still have them but there not as popular.. And music wise Chicken noodle soup and My lip gloss be poppin sound very country to me " as you would say".. Im very proud to be from the south and if someone called me country I embrace it.. Just like you should embrace being a city slicker. Being from the city doesnt make you greater than someone living in the south.
I think he seems to think that the south is the same as it used to be (and is still portrayed in the media) Back in the day the north was more industrial and the south was more agrarian. People in the south lived mainly in rural areas while in the north people lived mainly in cities. So I can see how the south would seem more country. However, city culture has overtaken the south, and it is no longer majority rural. Some southern states have a much higher percentage of urban dwellers than rural dwellers.

So the South can't be broadly painted as being country anymore. In the same token there are many many many country dwellers in the North. NY and PA are among the top states with the most rural inhabitants

Old 10-02-2010, 11:47 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,103,982 times
Quote:
thats 10 years ago. its 2010.

i'm just saying that dreads and gold teeth are pretty much associated with southern ppl nowadays and the majority of the ppl with them are what ppl here would consider country.

that is called an observation. when you have ppl that reinforce certain stereotypes that get played through the media then you will get the perception that you have.

i don't see how anybody could get offended by that.
LMAO Oh sure ice grills and dreads are country! why they rock them at the honky tonks. ) Yeah people in south where dread but dread aren’t country it's country to you because your bias. And nothing you said has truth it’s all subjective and the reason why southerners are coming at you because the your way of using country as a “slang” the way it used north and south by many, is negative as you said backwards. Again your calling us country as if yall was forward to us everything your saying is centering from a superior complex. Telling us how yall see us, is just as stupid as us telling how we see yall. So I guess if I walk outside with timberland boot in the summer I won't be country huh. Again a very hard New York superior complex, if it's not the New York way! and it’s popular in the south! makes it country that basically what your saying.

Old 10-02-2010, 11:56 AM
eek

reading is fundamental.
stop skimming paragraphs.

i didn't call anybody country, and i didn't say that *I* personally think that dreads and gold teeth wearing ppl are country.

swear to god ppl don't read before they post on cd.

Old 10-02-2010, 01:20 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,053 posts, read 4,394,799 times
Quote:
ask a person that you feel is country that also has dreads and gold teeth.

i'm from the north so i can't relate and don't know how or why they flock to that. i don't personally know anybody here that has both so i can't ask them. i'd actually like to know myself and also why ppl cut off words in atlanta and i'd like to know when it started because i don't remember ppl from atl doing that before the 2000's but i could be wrong.
dreads are not really a "country" thing since its started from west indian culture, although people here see it as a "southern" (yes there is a slight difference since you live in the south and not be from the "country" but from a big city like the A) thing we don't associate it as a country thing only. Golds are since as a black person living in the midwest often when you see someone who has golds would be an older person who came directly from the "country". For instance my great aunts and uncles in Chicago who are org from Greenville, MS. But cutting off words is a slang (ebonics) thing not a country thing.

Old 10-02-2010, 01:26 PM

10,109 posts, read 9,971,621 times
Quote:
lol @ this.

drive around atl and miami and then drive around the tristate and post about what you see dealing with dreads and gold teeth.
Ya boy diddy got gold teeth..lol

Arsenal got dreads... but he from newark, close enough

Old 10-02-2010, 01:27 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,053 posts, read 4,394,799 times
there is a difference in being country and just being southern. A lot of times when people in Detroit say someone is country we mean like from a slow paced city in the south. Hell we even call some rural areas in MI "the country" lol. But not when we are talking about Atlanta, Miami, Houston, Dallas etc. They are just southern. I know I've met people in the A who have very flat accents just like I've met some who have very thick accents. Hell some of them say Detroiters don't sound much different. idk but to me its everybody in the south is not country

Old 10-02-2010, 02:45 PM

468 posts, read 790,362 times
Quote:
from what the guy from tx said that i quoted from another thread, in one of my previous posts, ppl in tx that rock dreads are more than likely from florida or georgia.

seems like (from my own personal exp), dreads and gold teeth is a SE thing.
Do your remember the rapper fat Joe big pun wearing platinum teeth.. In there videos.. When the whole bling bling era happen?? Nyers were the first to Rock dreads during the 90s and you can still find natives with them.. And I guess all jamaicans that wear them are country too.. Wait Lauryn Hill is from Newark she's country too I guess.. Eric bonet had dreads to and he wasn't from the southeast.. Your logic is stupid
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City