Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: what you like better
Atlanta area 45 33.83%
NYC 84 63.16%
Neither 4 3.01%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 10:41 AM

2,848 posts, read 6,438,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
eek my man. You are coming with that old tired argument that the South is no good because it's "country" and what you mean by "country" is it's accents are different and it's sense of style, fashion doesn't stack up to what you with your New York sensibilities feel is acceptable.

First: there are different accents in the world deal with it. Not everyone's gonna speak like you.

Second:I realize poor people in New York are among the best dressed in America because even poor urban kids up there have a very intense sense of style. Kudos to you on that. But Atlanta is known for having one of the largest most progressive Black professional, middle classes in America and they are very well dress.

You see styles from all over the country here. I realize some of those styles you disagree with because that's not what New Yorkers wear. But many of the styles you and your D.C., Philly friends were bashing on that thread you were gathering quotes from (that got shut down rightfully) are actually styles that are popular out in California or other places. People in London and Jamaica wear some things that most urbanist New Yorkers would not. Does that mean they are dead wrong. Or Italians many of whom wear things most Americans aren't into.

Black people from New York and the North East are the biggest Style NAZI's You'll ever meet. They think anybody that doesn't wear what they wear or talk like they talk should be branded with a "country" symbol and hearded into a concentration camp . But that smug attitude is just silly when you really look at it though.
It's just Old that's all.

Old 10-02-2010, 10:42 AM

5,092 posts, read 8,848,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
unball your fists, clown.

i'm not picking on anybody at all. its not my fault you're sensitive. its the truth tho.
southerners see it, as seen in the last post, i've seen it with my own eyes, you turn on tv and being that southerners dominate hip hop, this is all you see.

if your peers stop acting a certain way then ppl wouldn't perceive you that way.
right, troll.

Old 10-02-2010, 10:42 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,953,051 times
Quote:
its not necessarily that its more along the lines of a lot of the ppl that are perceived as being country have dreads nowadays.
Really?

But are you not putting the cart before the horse then. Are they country because they have dreads or do they have dreads because they are country?

Old 10-02-2010, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Really?

But are you not putting the cart before the horse then. Are they country because they have dreads or do they have dreads because they are country?
They're country because even though New Yorkers used to wear dreads the most the Style Nazi's there recently decreed that Dreads are passe. So anyone who hasn't got the message yet must be branded "country" and sent to a fashion camp for style reeducation.

Old 10-02-2010, 10:47 AM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,734,977 times
ask a person that you feel is country that also has dreads and gold teeth.

i'm from the north so i can't relate and don't know how or why they flock to that. i don't personally know anybody here that has both so i can't ask them. i'd actually like to know myself and also why ppl cut off words in atlanta and i'd like to know when it started because i don't remember ppl from atl doing that before the 2000's but i could be wrong.

Old 10-02-2010, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
They're country because even though New Yorkers used to wear dreads the most the Style Nazi's there recently decreed that Dreads are passe. So anyone who hasn't got the message yet must be branded "country" and sent to a fashion camp for style reeducation.
Okay, I love NY, but I can't stand the whole fashion thing, especially among the black people. A lot of times it is down right tacky. It may be cutting edge but a lot of times they end up looking like idiots.

The south isn't blameless either. They cling to trends too long. It has been over 20 years since the prison pants became popular, why on earth are guys with 28 inch waists wearing sized 38 pants still? The crotch grabbing penguin walk sh it is the most unattractive thing ever. I mean it makes the guys look like hobos wearing their great grandpa's busted elastic hand me downs

Old 10-02-2010, 10:56 AM

Quote:

i'm from the north so i can't relate and don't know how or why they flock to that. i don't personally know anybody here that has both so i can't ask them. i'd actually like to know myself and also why ppl cut off words in atlanta and i'd like to know when it started because i don't remember ppl from atl doing that before the 2000's but i could be wrong.
well, I can't. I have never seen a country person wear dreads. I don't know how country black people look/ act. Most of the people I perceive as country are white, wear overalls and straw hats.

The last guy I saw in dreads, wore a black pinstripe suit and carried one of those mail bag/man purse thingies

Old 10-02-2010, 10:58 AM

468 posts, read 790,362 times
EEK have you realized your the only one from NYC on this thread.. The Other NYC posters seem to not really care about this comparison.. WHy do you ??.. By the way Gold teeth arent as popular down south as it use to be, People still have them but there not as popular.. And music wise Chicken noodle soup and My lip gloss be poppin sound very country to me " as you would say".. Im very proud to be from the south and if someone called me country I embrace it.. Just like you should embrace being a city slicker. Being from the city doesnt make you greater than someone living in the south.

Old 10-02-2010, 11:00 AM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,734,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
well, I can't. I have never seen a country person wear dreads. I don't know how country black people look/ act. Most of the people I perceive as country are white, wear overalls and straw hats.

The last guy I saw in dreads, wore a black pinstripe suit and carried one of those mail bag/man purse thingies
from what the guy from tx said that i quoted from another thread, in one of my previous posts, ppl in tx that rock dreads are more than likely from florida or georgia.

seems like (from my own personal exp), dreads and gold teeth is a SE thing.

Old 10-02-2010, 11:01 AM

Quote:

Crazy thing about this guy is I remember when hardly anybody was wearing dreads. Then New York rappers in the early 90's came out like crazy rocking dreads hard. Suddenly people from all over America started wearing them.

Now he's saying Dreads are country!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City