Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which are more alike
LA and Houston 139 45.28%
LA and Miami 168 54.72%
Voters: 307. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 06:31 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyman View Post
Miami's skyline still resembles Tampa's with more condo clusters.

Another thing to note is that Miami's general metro is greatly stretched out along a coastal strip. Houston and L.A. metros are sprawling blobs.

Russians? Russia doesn't even have a consulate in Miami. Russians in Miami in need of consular services are SOL and need to get in touch with the Russian Embassy in D.C.

Russian Consulates exist in both Houston and California (though not in L.A.)...yet none in Florida.

The Russian Consulate in Houston described for it: "Russian community in the area is rapidly increasing in numbers and its needs for consular services. Russian community in the area is rapidly increasing in numbers and its needs for consular services."

The Asian and Mexican aspects of Houston and L.A. are extremely huge and well-connected, which is really the bottom line.

In all, not to discount the Jewish or Russian populations but that comes close to nit-picking on this matter...
How does Miami's skyline resemble Tampa's?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2010, 12:04 AM

767 posts, read 1,743,421 times
LA & Miami.

Both places are being consumed by third world immigrants and in many parts of both cities, people speak only Spanish. No Ingles.

I'm sure the white flight from both those cities will continue. Perhaps we should call it the English Speakers' Diaspora.

Even as for north as I am, I will probably be among it so I can get back to the first world.. back to the USA.

Old 12-17-2010, 09:01 AM

353 posts, read 816,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
How does Miami's skyline resemble Tampa's?
yup, nothing alike!
umm well Miami and LA, and for obvious reasons that fellow Miamians and angelinos have posted but I think its just the incredible attraction that both cities have for celebrities, after all Miami is the playground of america's celebrities.

Old 12-17-2010, 05:51 PM

153 posts, read 526,423 times
Being from Houston I have visited LA twice and on both occasions I saw two similarities. The first is the sprawled out nature of LA, albeit Houston is sprawled out in a smaller area and less dense(Who is sprawled out MORE than LA?) The other is the LARGE mexican population and culture that I am very familiar with in Houston. Some parts of Houston seemed similar to some parts of LA because of the large population of mexicans and the culture that comes with it. I believe LA, followed by San Antonio and Houston have the largest mexican populations outside of Mexico; please correct me if I'm wrong.

Old 02-11-2011, 12:25 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,382,338 times
Lately, I've been extremely interested in Miami and Houston, and I currently live in Los Angeles right now.

I must say that I gotta show a lot of love for both of these cities. My friend and I have been discussing going on a road trip down I-10 from here to Florida just to see what the Sunbelt has to offer (of course, major sunbelt metros like DFW and Atlanta are on I-20, but those will be for another trip!)

What they all have in common though: People on City Data generally dislike all three for the same exact reason! Throw in Phoenix, DFW, and Atlanta, and you will have the 6 most hated metro areas on this site. However, the thing about LA, Miami, and Houston is that they are all coastal metros with large sea ports connecting the United States with the rest of the world.

Generally though, even though they are all sunbelt metros, they all grew up/came to age at extremely different times in the 20th century, so there are slight variations to how the layout is designed.

I'm glad that all these places are part of the United States. We wouldn't be where we are without them

Old 02-11-2011, 01:24 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
Lately, I've been extremely interested in Miami and Houston, and I currently live in Los Angeles right now.

I must say that I gotta show a lot of love for both of these cities. My friend and I have been discussing going on a road trip down I-10 from here to Florida just to see what the Sunbelt has to offer (of course, major sunbelt metros like DFW and Atlanta are on I-20, but those will be for another trip!)

What they all have in common though: People on City Data generally dislike all three for the same exact reason! Throw in Phoenix, DFW, and Atlanta, and you will have the 6 most hated metro areas on this site. However, the thing about LA, Miami, and Houston is that they are all coastal metros with large sea ports connecting the United States with the rest of the world.

Generally though, even though they are all sunbelt metros, they all grew up/came to age at extremely different times in the 20th century, so there are slight variations to how the layout is designed.

I'm glad that all these places are part of the United States. We wouldn't be where we are without them
3 very important Sunbelt cities. These 3 are the Sunbelts best.

Old 09-27-2011, 11:29 AM

257 posts, read 177,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efilnikufesin View Post
Miami and LA both have the coasts, movie stars, etc.

Kind of hard to jet ski or surf fish in Houston.
Never been to Houston, have you? Houston's Hobby airport is less than 40 minutes from the beach on Galveston Island. Plenty of surf fishing, I do it all the time, and plenty of jet skiing in the bay, though I prefer to kayak.

Old 09-27-2011, 11:34 AM

4,836 posts, read 12,005,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmonkey View Post
Never been to Houston, have you? Houston's Hobby airport is less than 40 minutes from the beach on Galveston Island. Plenty of surf fishing, I do it all the time, and plenty of jet skiing in the bay, though I prefer to kayak.
You do realize that you can jet ski right to downtown Miami or on the beaches located inside LA. 40min drive to the beach is pretty far for many in LA and everyone in Miami.
Old thread anyway....

Old 09-27-2011, 11:40 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmonkey View Post
clear lake is a community in the city limits of Houston and it is 0 minutes from the wtare front.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clear_L...reater_Houston)

https://pics2.city-data.com/city/maps3/cms5006.png

Old 09-27-2011, 11:42 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
You do realize that you can jet ski right to downtown Miami or on the beaches located inside LA. 40min drive to the beach is pretty far for many in LA and everyone in Miami.
Old thread anyway....
you can do that to downtown Houston too. that ship channel is deep
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City