Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which are more alike
LA and Houston 139 45.28%
LA and Miami 168 54.72%
Voters: 307. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 12:45 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,953,051 times

Advertisements

Kidphilly stop being overly dramatic.

1. No one is claiming that.
2. Matt is not from Houston
3. You are twisting Matts words.
4. The charm he is talking about is the old Victorian homes, not any stupid beach culture
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2011, 12:48 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
Thing is, there is beach culture in Galveston. People walk around with surf boards, bikinis, etc. Not at the extent of Miami but it's definitely there.

Old 09-27-2011, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Thing is, there is beach culture in Galveston. People walk around with surf boards, bikinis, etc. Not at the extent of Miami but it's definitely there.
but but but but?? It is different, Houston doesn't use enough orange spray on tan.

But but but but Houston girls hair isn't poofy enough.

dunno why Kidphilly and the others are always trying to diminsh Houston.

no one is claiming that Houston beaches are top notch. All we say is the beaches are there and people use it.

stop making it out like we are saying that it is cancun Resort.

everything does not have to be the extreme. Stop trying to see a competition in every line. I don't even think anyone came close to saying that the beaches are alike. They are just pointing out that the beach culture is here, why does that hurt you so much?

Old 09-27-2011, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechno55 View Post
All three are laughable cities just like the crimeridden Philadelphia
lol, that one actually made me laugh.

You are gonna have kidphilly analysing your comment making you into a Houstonian trying to bring Houston to Philly's level by tearing it down.

he is gonna tell you that Houston's crime can't touch Philly's because the criminals are more dense in Philly and are more vibrant in their crimes, and you will also find more pedestrian friendl robbers,which are way more Earth conscious than those darn auto robbers in Houston

Old 09-27-2011, 01:05 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
but but but but?? It is different, Houston doesn't use enough orange spray on tan.

But but but but Houston girls hair isn't poofy enough.

dunno why Kidphilly and the others are always trying to diminsh Houston.

no one is claiming that Houston beaches are top notch. All we say is the beaches are there and people use it.

stop making it out like we are saying that it is cancun Resort.

everything does not have to be the extreme. Stop trying to see a competition in every line. I don't even think anyone came close to saying that the beaches are alike. They are just pointing out that the beach culture is here, why does that hurt you so much?
It is not diminishing at all the similarities of Houston and LA are not in the beach culture it is in the makeup of the development; in this way it is far closer to LA - Houston is like a mini LA in a less dense form but the dotted cores and highway build is similar. Miami draws the similarity on the beach scene but overall to me actually feels less like LA (though a more similar vibe in specific areas) on the whole. The examples of Houston beaches or connectivity to the culture of Houston are ill advised as an argument IMHO and nonesense (which I find a lot of with Houston is everything to everyone) Many cities have beaches nearby.

On the victoria charm, umm ok (though only spent about 8 hours total of my life in Galveston) but you want Victorian go to SF or Cape May NJ (actually Cape May is the second largest collection of victorian structures in the US and by far the largest on the shore). I honestly was somewhat disappointed with Galveston (an S Padre - felt a bit like Myrtle to me) and while they may be destinations for locals (maybe some Spring Breakers) they are not in the same vein as many of the SoCal beaches nor is the vibe and association to the city fabric is all. And a claim that Galveston has more sharm than the Cali beach towns, frankly I just dont see it and they are not even close.

For Houston and LA look at places like the Galleria area or Westheimer or even Katy. Maybe even a Thousand Oaks to the Woodlands. But Galveston to Santa Monica or the shipping Channel to Long Beach (though both have large port infrastructure) give me a break

Beach comes to mind for LA and Miami - it does not for Houston (especially to an outsider) there is a reason for this.

Old 09-27-2011, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
It is not diminishing at all the similarities of Houston and LA are not in the beach culture it is in the makeup of the development; in this way it is far closer to LA - Houston is like a mini LA in a less dense form but the dotted cores and highway build is similar. Miami draws the similarity on the beach scene but overall to me actually feels less like LA (though a more similar vibe in specific areas) on the whole. The examples of Houston beaches or connectivity to the culture of Houston are ill advised as an argument IMHO and nonesense (which I find a lot of with Houston is everything to everyone) Many cities have beaches nearby.

On the victoria charm, umm ok (though only spent about 8 hours total of my life in Galveston) but you want Victorian go to SF or Cape May NJ (actually Cape May is the second largest collection of victorian structures in the US and by far the largest on the shore). I honestly was somewhat disappointed with Galveston (an S Padre - felt a bit like Myrtle to me) and while they may be destinations for locals (maybe some Spring Breakers) they are not in the same vein as many of the SoCal beaches nor is the vibe and association to the city fabric is all. And a claim that Galveston has more sharm than the Cali beach towns, frankly I just dont see it and they are not even close.

For Houston and LA look at places like the Galleria area or Westheimer or even Katy. Maybe even a Thousand Oaks to the Woodlands. But Galveston to Santa Monica or the shipping Channel to Long Beach (though both have large port infrastructure) give me a break

Beach comes to mind for LA and Miami - it does not for Houston (especially to an outsider) there is a reason for this.
lol, there you go again.

so just because a place isn't known for something means that thing doesn't exist? Corpus Christi is known for its beaches not for its oil, so because it is not known for its oil does that mean it is not the 5th largest Oil refining area in the US??? are you gonna sit there and tell me Philly doesn't have Oil Refining plants because it is not known for refining??

BullS#$%

and just because I said Matt was talking about Galveston Victorian Homes doesn't mean you have to list the largest Collection of Victorian homes. If you cannot see this as diminishing an area, then you need a visit to the optometrist, the psychiatrict and a Rethoric instructor.

give it a break, some one may like the victorian homes in an area without that area being the top for that aspect. Conversely some people who like that type of architecture may detest the leading cities in that field.

can't you go a day without diminishing Houston?? Maybe an hour???

Old 09-27-2011, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
lol, there you go again.

so just because a place isn't known for something means that thing doesn't exist? Corpus Christi is known for its beaches not for its oil, so because it is not known for its oil does that mean it is not the 5th largest Oil refining area in the US??? are you gonna sit there and tell me Philly doesn't have Oil Refining plants because it is not known for refining??

BullS#$%

and just because I said Matt was talking about Galveston Victorian Homes doesn't mean you have to list the largest Collection of Victorian homes. If you cannot see this as diminishing an area, then you need a visit to the optometrist, the psychiatrict and a Rethoric instructor.

give it a break, some one may like the victorian homes in an area without that area being the top for that aspect. Conversely some people who like that type of architecture may detest the leading cities in that field.

can't you go a day without diminishing Houston?? Maybe an hour???

once again you fail to understand the context of any post, especially if it involves your little HTown world

Old 09-27-2011, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechno55 View Post
All three are laughable cities just like the crimeridden Philadelphia

Yes we all cant live in the Mecca that is White Plains NY

Old 09-27-2011, 01:30 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post

Without visiting LA, I would say the first bolded section hold true.

The second bolded section has little to do with this argument other than Galveston isn't woven into the fabric of Houston, which is true.

The third section is true for outsiders. For anyone in Houston, Galveston is a place that comes to mind for many Houstonians. I'm not from here and I have made the trip a few times and plan to continue.

kidphilly doesn't constantly put down Houston. I've had numerous conversations and arguments with him here and he's always said he likes Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City