Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which are more alike
LA and Houston 139 45.28%
LA and Miami 168 54.72%
Voters: 307. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 10:39 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,994,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongozx View Post
That's TX's security blanket: "Most of you guys are moving here!" But in the end the only thing Houston has over LA (And what TX has over CA) is that it's cheap. Nothing else. It's an undesirable city in almost every sense. Nobody goes to Houston for a pleasure vacation nor is it really a desirable place to live in (you may thank the abundance of Wal-Mart caliber jobs due to growth).

So when your city sucks and lack an identity what do you do? You try to compare it to a city out of its league. Perfectly understandable.
When I flew out to LA for the first time 2 summers ago I honestly wasn't that impressed with the place.

I almost missed the "famous" Downtown LA skyline flying into the city and most of the land within the LA Basin was just as flat as Houston. The lesser zoned areas of LA reminded me quite a lot of Houston too.

I consider Houston a much greener, less densely populated LA without the mountains & Mediteranian Climate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2011, 10:43 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
This is joke right? LA is one of the most recognizable cities on Earth. Even its skyline (which is constantly trashed) is instantly recognizable. Houston does have nice people, I'll give you that.
There is nothing recognizable about most of LA's streets. The skyline, sure.

Old 09-28-2011, 10:53 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post

This I disagree on. There are many many area of LA that are completely identifieable as LA beyond the skyline (Sunset strip and Santa Monica as an example though many more) though do agree that many areas are somewhat indistinguishable the majority though would still not be confused for many other areas of the country. The medium density sprawl (if that is the correct term) is rarely seen in this country (maybe parts of LI NY but to a lessor extent)

Miami is also more unique as well

Houston while having some distinguishing aspects after nearly 20 years of coming to the city to me is hardly distinguishable from Dallas on the whole, at least less so than the other two in this discussion

and to Metro - the LA DT is pretty far from LAX. Not to mention unless flying into Hobby the Houston DT or even many aspects of the skyline are rarely seen on approach (I have probably flown into IAD 40+ times) not sure what the point is there. Many aiports will fail to give any view of skyline

Old 09-28-2011, 10:58 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,946,158 times
Quote:
Rodeo is pretty recognizable, so is Hollywood and Vine, and Sunset Blvd is pretty recognizable also.

Old 09-28-2011, 11:01 PM

LA is pretty distinguishable. Anytime you see palm trees and mountains, then......

Old 09-28-2011, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexor67 View Post
Miami is the hardest to distinguish IMO, I cant recognize a single building in its skyline. Every building appears to have the same tan/light blue/sky blue/turquoise color. The neighborhoods for the most part have the same housing in upper class areas and same type in lower class areas. The beaches however are distinguishable but the city is hard to get a feel on.
In that sense, how is the city not distinguishable? What other city looks like that?

Old 09-28-2011, 11:06 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,417,405 times
South Beach is easily distinguishable. The art deco buildings are a dead giveaway.

Old 09-28-2011, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexor67 View Post
Well at street level Miami's skyscrapers and architecture looked nearly the same as Honolulu. You couldn't tell the difference between their skyscrapers nor does one building stand out from any of the others. Every single building looks the very same.
I'm talking about the city as a whole. Including the neighborhoods outside of Downtown. They don't look like many other cities.

Old 09-28-2011, 11:21 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Rodeo is pretty recognizable, so is Hollywood and Vine, and Sunset Blvd is pretty recognizable also.
Four streets... that's not many. It's not like it's New York where most average Americans will blurt out the answer.

Old 09-28-2011, 11:46 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,417,405 times
Quote:
Four streets... that's not many. It's not like it's New York where most average Americans will blurt out the answer.
It's pretty safe to say most people would not know the difference between 5th Avenue and Park Avenue without a famous attraction to give it away. Most would not know the difference between 14th Street and Houston Street. Most would guess they're New York however, based on the look. Same if you showed someone a street lined with palm trees. Most would say it's LA, even if it isn't. Both cities have tons of instantly recognizable landmarks.

Houston doesn't have anything that is instantly recognizable. Show someone a picture of one of Houston's freeways, they'll probably think it's LA lol. That's the difference in fame of the two cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City