Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 08:31 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,300,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
I still dont think thats a good analogy. NYC towers above any other metro area in the Northeast without a close second. While Greater Houston has the biggest economy in the south, Dallas/Fort Worth is a pretty close second.
DFW is indeed another beast economically, but Houston really is leaving it in the dust. Houston is adding $70 billion every 4 years to its GDP. No other MSA is adding that much. This includes DFW. So while DFW is probably going to be bigger by population, it won't by bigger by GDP. So it won't be long before Houston is head and shoulders above all other Southern metros economically. Now culturally, that is a different story and a different thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2010, 08:33 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,933,707 times
Quote:
Don't get defensive. Houston has articles like that too.
no one toot as loud as Dallas.

I would be interested in reading some like that about Houston, send me some if you can

Old 11-09-2010, 08:34 PM

301 posts, read 639,727 times
I see Houston and Dallas do their own things on economics growth; both seem to be working out. but I can remember a time up till 2005 where Dallas had larger GDP than Houston but Houston pulled ahead and continues to widen gap with less population. Dallas has stable economy; one of the best in the country but Houston just has more powerful economy

Last edited by Ghost of Blasphamany; 11-09-2010 at 08:46 PM..

Old 11-09-2010, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
DFW is indeed another beast economically, but Houston really is leaving it in the dust. Houston is adding $70 billion every 4 years to its GDP. No other MSA is adding that much. This includes DFW. So while DFW is probably going to be bigger by population, it won't by bigger by GDP. So it won't be long before Houston is head and shoulders above all other Southern metros economically. Now culturally, that is a different story and a different thread.
remember people go where the jobs are

culture comes secondarily

Old 11-09-2010, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
If you say so. You can't really reason with boosters. No offense.

I'll likely be dead by the time Houston surpasses Chicago on the world stage. It's not like I really care anyway. If I really wanted to I could move to Houston in a heartbeat.
I don't know if Houston will necessarily pass Chicago as become a city in the same tier. Chicago is the crown city in the midwest. No city is close to touching. This designation shall keep Chicago a principal city plus its transportation and logistic connections.

With that said, Houston by GDP will probably pass it in 20 years. But GDP is only part of the story. Houston will elevate to LA prominence in the Sunbelt, making 2 Sunbelt cities that this nation, at the end of the day, say it is truly a top American city.

Old 11-09-2010, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
remember people go where the jobs are

culture comes secondarily
True, but that is another discussion. See me in PAM vs TT. Lol.

Old 11-09-2010, 08:43 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,732,359 times
Quote:
It is a bad comparison. New York is three times larger than the next largest economy in the northeast. Houston's economy is about 7 percent larger than DFW's.

You can argue that it's the most important, and I agree, but the distance between Houston and DFW in importance is not drastic.

Old 11-09-2010, 08:55 PM

Quote:
True, but that is another discussion. See me in PAM vs TT. Lol.
lol, what happened to that thread, I have not visited it in ages.

we have not discussed culture in that one, I have a few things to teach you about TT culture

Old 11-09-2010, 09:03 PM

Quote:
It is a bad comparison. New York is three times larger than the next largest economy in the northeast. Houston's economy is about 7 percent larger than DFW's.

You can argue that it's the most important, and I agree, but the distance between Houston and DFW in importance is not drastic.

I think you are fixating on one part of his post and ignoring the others, this is typical of CD posters, just nitpicking at posts and ignoring the rest.
If you look back you will see he is talking about Houston's phenomenal climb from a GDP of about 200B in 2005 to 400B in 2008 (passing up DFW and DC on the way)

stop looking at things in stagnating views, look at trends and you will begin to see what he is saying

Old 11-09-2010, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
lol, what happened to that thread, I have not visited it in ages.

we have not discussed culture in that one, I have a few things to teach you about TT culture
Well come on and teach me. I'll show you a thing or two about PAM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City