Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 06:41 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,035,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio248 View Post
So it looks like these are the top cities:

1. NYC
2. LA
3. DC-Baltimore
4. Bay Area
5. Chicago or Houston
You mean for the future right?

Present Moment by MSA:
- New York City
- Los Angeles
- Chicago
- Houston
- Washington DC

Present Moment by CSA:
- New York City
- Los Angeles
- Washington DC-Baltimore
- Chicago
- Bay Area
- Boston
- Houston

By 2020 (This is my guess given present trends) by MSA:
- New York City
- Los Angeles
- Houston
- Chicago
- Washington DC

By 2020 (This is my guess given present trends) by CSA:
- New York City
- Los Angeles
- Washington DC-Baltimore/Houston
- Houston/Washington DC-Baltimore
- Bay Area
- Chicago

I don't have anything else to go by other than present numbers. I made a thread earlier 3 months ago to see how far Houston's GDP would go with a 7% decrease in growth, and compared to the increase rate of the other cities at hand, and I got by 2019 that Houston would surpass all 3, Chicagoland, Bay Area, & DMV. (If you would like to see that thread, let me know, I went into more detail in there)

Now I know and realize that is with present increase rates and that anything can truly happen, so I am saying those are just estimates. But even in the worst case scenario where I split Houston's increase rate into half, it will trail the other three, but it will closely trail them. Very little distance. And that is mathematically for the worst case scenario that I gave it.

It's also interesting to note that Bay Area, is increasing the same rate as Chicagoland, so catching up and filling in the gap may take longer than I think. And DMV is increasing and going to widen the distance.
Quote:
Using the more constrained MSA numbers:

1. NYC
2. LA
3. Chicago, DC, Houston and SF all roughly tied
Is this a list of Total Personal Income? Or is this your list by GDP for MSA/CSA? It looks more like Total Personal Income, in which case San Francisco-Oakland & Houston are both in the same range, and it will likely go in Houston's favor in the next few years to pass it up. (It decreased less, and Houston "increased" more)

Once again, I know all these future predictions are little emotional topics for people, so I will state it once again, these are given present trends, I don't know what is going to happen in the next hour little alone tomorrow, so bear with me. What I'm saying are just math estimates, they aren't fact because it hasn't happened yet.
I'm not saying these things will happen exactly per say, but the trend holds true this year, it will next year most likely, and the year after for sure. After that I don't really know anything in certainty.
Only on here do I even need to reiterate something like that. Only on here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2010, 07:57 PM

758 posts, read 1,960,805 times
DANNYY, we all know Chicago was #3 in the past, but, sadly, we all know those days are gone.

Unfortunately, Chicago is losing about 70,000 jobs per year. So you can take these 2008 numbers and knock 140,000 jobs or so off the total.

In Chicago, 140,000 lost jobs between 2008 and 2010. In contrast, most of the other cities on this list are gaining jobs.

So there's no way Chicago is still #3. It lost about 10% of its jobs in just 24 months, many of which were high-paying white collar jobs.

As of 2010, here are the CSA numbers-
NYC
LA
DC
SF
Houston

As of 2010, here are the MSA numbers-
NYC
LA
SF, Houston, DC and Chicago roughly tied

Old 11-06-2010, 08:22 PM

1,728 posts, read 4,726,045 times
Quote:
DANNYY, we all know Chicago was #3 in the past, but, sadly, we all know those days are gone.

Unfortunately, Chicago is losing about 70,000 jobs per year. So you can take these 2008 numbers and knock 140,000 jobs or so off the total.

In Chicago, 140,000 lost jobs between 2008 and 2010. In contrast, most of the other cities on this list are gaining jobs.

So there's no way Chicago is still #3. It lost about 10% of its jobs in just 24 months, many of which were high-paying white collar jobs.

As of 2010, here are the CSA numbers-
NYC
LA
DC
SF
Houston

As of 2010, here are the MSA numbers-
NYC
LA
SF, Houston, DC and Chicago roughly tied
Chicago lost 3% of its jobs between 2008 and 2010. That's a long way from 10%.

In the past year, 1.7% job loss. No where else is faring well either. Most places are just below 0 or gaining at about 0.2%. Financial industry doesn't recover until manufacturing and service industry recovers. Chicago will be one of the last to recover, but it will recover.

Old 11-07-2010, 12:12 PM

Chicago is losing roughly 70,000 jobs per year, so at that rate will be surpassed by Houston in a few years.

And Dallas and Atlanta will threaten Chicago if the 70,000 annual job losses continue.

Source:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/city-vs-city/1123819-top-100-biggest-markets-job-rankings-2.html

Old 11-07-2010, 12:31 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,923,182 times
Quote:
Chicago is losing roughly 70,000 jobs per year, so at that rate will be surpassed by Houston in a few years.

And Dallas and Atlanta will threaten Chicago if the 70,000 annual job losses continue.

Source:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/city-vs-city/1123819-top-100-biggest-markets-job-rankings-2.html

Will you be able to deal with the fact that Chicago is not going to shrivel up and disappear? Because it's not going to, you know. Bitterness is not a pretty thing.

Old 11-07-2010, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
Will you be able to deal with the fact that Chicago is not going to shrivel up and disappear? Because it's not going to, you know. Bitterness is not a pretty thing.
Chicago certainly won't disappear anytime soon, but is losing about 70,000 jobs annually.

At that rate (which is increasing year-over-year), we're approaching one million jobs lost per decade, which is certainly a crisis.

Hopefully the new mayor will have some ideas to save the city. It isn't too late for Chicago.

Old 11-07-2010, 04:40 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,923,182 times
Quote:
Chicago certainly won't disappear anytime soon, but is losing about 70,000 jobs annually.

At that rate (which is increasing year-over-year), we're approaching one million jobs lost per decade, which is certainly a crisis.

Hopefully the new mayor will have some ideas to save the city. It isn't too late for Chicago.
Oh, just stop. For crying out loud, you are a broken record. You really shouldn't profess concern for Chicago - if anyone takes the time to read your posts, your obsession with the city is obvious. I have family in Chicago, and they're doing quite well - thank you. The company my brother works for is hiring, and my nephew, who graduated from college last year, had numerous job offers. So see, there are a few beacons of light - much to your chagrin, I'm sure.

Old 11-07-2010, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
So see, there are a few beacons of light - much to your chagrin, I'm sure.
I agree 100%.

Bleak and horrible as Chicago may appear at times, there are some positive rays of light in the darkness.

Even in the wastelands of the West and South Sides (70% of Chicago), there are hardworking folks who make the city proud.

So, yes, there are opportunities for the brave.

And, those folks know the harder they work, the sooner they will be able to leave their godforsaken neighborhoods for safety and comfort.

Old 11-07-2010, 10:10 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,300,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
You mean for the future right?

Present Moment by MSA:
- New York City
- Los Angeles
- Chicago
- Houston
- Washington DC

Present Moment by CSA:
- New York City
- Los Angeles
- Washington DC-Baltimore
- Chicago
- Bay Area
- Boston
- Houston

By 2020 (This is my guess given present trends) by MSA:
- New York City
- Los Angeles
- Houston
- Chicago
- Washington DC

By 2020 (This is my guess given present trends) by CSA:
- New York City
- Los Angeles
- Washington DC-Baltimore/Houston
- Houston/Washington DC-Baltimore
- Bay Area
- Chicago

I don't have anything else to go by other than present numbers. I made a thread earlier 3 months ago to see how far Houston's GDP would go with a 7% decrease in growth, and compared to the increase rate of the other cities at hand, and I got by 2019 that Houston would surpass all 3, Chicagoland, Bay Area, & DMV. (If you would like to see that thread, let me know, I went into more detail in there)

Now I know and realize that is with present increase rates and that anything can truly happen, so I am saying those are just estimates. But even in the worst case scenario where I split Houston's increase rate into half, it will trail the other three, but it will closely trail them. Very little distance. And that is mathematically for the worst case scenario that I gave it.

It's also interesting to note that Bay Area, is increasing the same rate as Chicagoland, so catching up and filling in the gap may take longer than I think. And DMV is increasing and going to widen the distance.

Is this a list of Total Personal Income? Or is this your list by GDP for MSA/CSA? It looks more like Total Personal Income, in which case San Francisco-Oakland & Houston are both in the same range, and it will likely go in Houston's favor in the next few years to pass it up. (It decreased less, and Houston "increased" more)

Once again, I know all these future predictions are little emotional topics for people, so I will state it once again, these are given present trends, I don't know what is going to happen in the next hour little alone tomorrow, so bear with me. What I'm saying are just math estimates, they aren't fact because it hasn't happened yet.
I'm not saying these things will happen exactly per say, but the trend holds true this year, it will next year most likely, and the year after for sure. After that I don't really know anything in certainty.
Only on here do I even need to reiterate something like that. Only on here.
Let me make sure I understand you correctly. Houstons GDP growth rate will, at the current rate that is, surpass DC, Chicago, and Bay Area? If so that is MSA or CSA? I would be interested in that thread about Houston. That is amazing what Houston is doing down there. They should be really proud to be weathering this economic storm pretty well. Here in my town of Charlotte, and as a recent college grad, things are tough.

On another note. What about the mid sized metros? I notice the big players getting a lot of attention. But w what about places like Charlotte, Pittsburgh, Indianapolis, Sacramento, Milwaukee, Bridgeport, Tampa, Nashville, Memphis, and others? Also, does anyone know of economic measurements for micro areas? And also, what about smaller metros like Madison, Omaha, Sante Fe, Des Moines, Portland, ME, Charleston, Savannah, Pensacola, and others? No love for the smaller metros? Lol.

Old 11-08-2010, 03:30 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,569,326 times
Quote:
Even in the wastelands of the West and South Sides (70% of Chicago), there are hardworking folks who make the city proud.

So, yes, there are opportunities for the brave.

And, those folks know the harder they work, the sooner they will be able to leave their godforsaken neighborhoods for safety and comfort.
Gee, I guess a lot more work is needed for me to escape the horrid wasteland that I currently reside in. God knows that I fear for my life everytime I step out of my condo. Perhaps I could get a decent paying job one day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City