Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2011, 12:57 PM

2,368 posts, read 5,103,296 times

Advertisements

1. Salt Lake City
2. Atlanta
3. Charlotte
4. Miami
5. Charleston
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2011, 08:01 AM

322 posts, read 614,305 times
Cities I wouldn't live in?
New York
Philadelphia
Boston
Detroit
Pittsburg

Too cold and boring

Old 08-16-2011, 08:22 AM

14,009 posts, read 14,995,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub King View Post
Here's my list -

Oklahoma City - Never been to a place with fewer things that are of interest to me. I'm not into 'mechanical bull-riding night'

Cincinatti - Here's a city famous for having the same hard-ass sheriff for the last few decades. No strip clubs in Cincinnati. Not that it helps with the crime rate! Add to that a city-wide feeling that race relations are at an all-time low and you've got a place that rates an easy 'no'.

Indianapolis - If you can base your life around auto racing and a football team, Indy is probably heaven. For me, it's hell.

Miami - Behind the tropical glow is a shallow, superficial city that has too much poverty. Miami swims in coke, has since the 80's. Seems like everyone there who isn't poor is addicted to plastic surgery and cocaine. The heat (not the team) is the last straw. If I had to pick a city from this list at gunpoint, it would be Miami.

Buffalo, NJ - Not enough there to justify the cold and the lake effect snow. One good thing is Toronto is not far.
Where in New Jersey is there a big lake? I assume you mean Buffalo NY.

Old 08-16-2011, 09:08 AM

1,580 posts, read 2,896,154 times
If we are just talking about big cities, here are five I would not want to live in. Mostly because of weather:

1. Detroit
2. Buffalo
3. Cleveland
4. Milwaukee
5. Minneapolis

Old 08-16-2011, 01:27 PM

528 posts, read 1,184,459 times
Cleveland - mistake by the lake
Milwaukee - I would just want to be in Chicago
Baltimore - Not quite DC or Philly
anywhere in Texas.......
Oklahoma City

Old 08-16-2011, 01:39 PM

Location: NY-NJ-Philly looks down at SF and laughs at the hippies
1,144 posts, read 1,295,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgonzalez12 View Post
Cities I wouldn't live in?
New York
Philadelphia
Boston
Detroit
Pittsburg

Too cold and boring
Oh, yea the three bolded cities are extremely boring.

I can easily see why New York would be the most boring city in all of America. New York is a small city with not much going for it's uniqueness. New York has awful parks, low quality architecture, boring history (if any at all), low rated musuems, there are not any unique neighborhoods, zilch for diversity, not many landmarks and horrible food too. Also, the city has a poor skyline. I agree, I don't see how anyone could visit NY and find something to do.

Old 08-16-2011, 01:40 PM

6 posts, read 10,731 times
1. Camden- Hell on Earth.
2. Detroit.-Mostly Camden on a larger scale, but with a couple of somewaht nice areas.
3. Los Angeles- Traffic, high risk of natural disasters, high crime. (No pun intended.)
4. Philadelphia- High crime in city proper, areas within city limits (exept for Center City) ugly, hate the Mets.
5. Miami- Risk of hurricanes, traffic, crime and largely relies on tourism.

Old 08-16-2011, 02:57 PM

322 posts, read 614,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gateway Region View Post
Oh, yea the three bolded cities are extremely boring.

I can easily see why New York would be the most boring city in all of America. New York is a small city with not much going for it's uniqueness. New York has awful parks, low quality architecture, boring history (if any at all), low rated musuems, there are not any unique neighborhoods, zilch for diversity, not many landmarks and horrible food too. Also, the city has a poor skyline. I agree, I don't see how anyone could visit NY and find something to do.
Just because they are big cities doesn't make them exciting and fun. Boston is way bigger then New Orleans but where do you think you would have more fun? NY is overrated and played out. I've been alot and honestly its an awesome city with an awesome skyline and great history but I wouldn't live there because it's full of tourists, too crowded, and the atmosphere sucks in my opinion but thats just me. Philly is and Boston are pretty cool but they seem very bland to me...why move to Philly or Boston when I can move to NY? So if Ny doesn't stack up why would Philly and Boston? Chicago is much nicer and more fun then NY. But for my taste I like fast driving, warm weather, beaches, and good food (southern foods the best). NY, Philly, and Boston do not offer any of these things for me. In my opinion none of those cities are as unique as New Orleans, Miami, Chicago, Houston, Nashville, or Los Angeles. Thats just me.

Old 08-16-2011, 03:08 PM

Location: NY-NJ-Philly looks down at SF and laughs at the hippies
1,144 posts, read 1,295,036 times
Quote:
Just because they are big cities doesn't make them exciting and fun.
Ah, but your past post I quoted stated "boring", not "more fun". Those two phrases mean two different things.

Quote:
Boston is way bigger then New Orleans but where do you think you would have more fun?
Boston quite easily, not even close.

Quote:
NY is overrated and played out. I've been alot and honestly its an awesome city with an awesome skyline and great history but I wouldn't live there because it's full of tourists, too crowded, and the atmosphere sucks in my opinion but thats just me.
NY being overrated is simply an opinion. So, you wouldnt live in NY? This is completely acceptable because many people don't want to live in NY. However, just because you wouldn't live somewhere doesn't make it boring.

Are you not the same person who is boosting about the number of tourists in Orlando?

Quote:
Philly is and Boston are pretty cool but they seem very bland to me...why move to Philly or Boston when I can move to NY? So if Ny doesn't stack up why would Philly and Boston? Chicago is much nicer and more fun then NY.
I can accept this opinion because we all have them. Now, it's my time to give mine. Everything in the south is bland to me except for Miami.

Quote:
But for my taste I like fast driving, warm weather, beaches, and good food (southern foods the best). NY, Philly, and Boston do not offer any of these things for me. In my opinion none of those cities are as unique as New Orleans, Miami, Chicago, Houston, Nashville, or Los Angeles. Thats just me.
I 100% completely understand and respect this opinion because pros and cons vary differently depending on the person. However, this is what should have been stated in the very beginning instead of calling possibly the most important and most unique cities in the world "boring". Saying "I do not want to live in X city" and saying "X city is boring" is two compltely different things.

Last edited by Gateway Region; 08-16-2011 at 03:17 PM..

Old 08-16-2011, 03:11 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,496,781 times
Quote:
Just because they are big cities doesn't make them exciting and fun. Boston is way bigger then New Orleans but where do you think you would have more fun? NY is overrated and played out. I've been alot and honestly its an awesome city with an awesome skyline and great history but I wouldn't live there because it's full of tourists, too crowded, and the atmosphere sucks in my opinion but thats just me. Philly is and Boston are pretty cool but they seem very bland to me...why move to Philly or Boston when I can move to NY? So if Ny doesn't stack up why would Philly and Boston? Chicago is much nicer and more fun then NY. But for my taste I like fast driving, warm weather, beaches, and good food (southern foods the best). NY, Philly, and Boston do not offer any of these things for me. In my opinion none of those cities are as unique as New Orleans, Miami, Chicago, Houston, Nashville, or Los Angeles. Thats just me.
In bold, Boston...not even a question.

You contradict yourself you talk about NYC b/c of the tourists, but then you boost Orlando in another thread talking about Disney and TNA wrestling? Oh the irony... Have fun with that Mickey Mouse consolation prize.

Also re: Chi being nicer and more fun than NYC... eh, I disagree. NYC is on another level than Chicago, Chicago is great and has it's advantages, but I will still concede to NYC, and so should everybody else unless they have some warped bias.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City