Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: City that most dominates its region:
Chicago for the Midwest 166 46.89%
Atlanta for the SE 68 19.21%
Boston for New England 120 33.90%
Voters: 354. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 03:17 PM

8,486 posts, read 14,999,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
War? I like Atlanta but many "boosters" in your city think they are the be all and end all of the South which isn't true. The ego is just huge and you never hear that type of boosterism from Miami and truth be told most people here think more about NYC or wherever they came from than Atlanta.
As far as business is concerned that maybe true but my point was the ATL doesn't have that strong of a influence in Florida.
Well, here's the thing. Which is more important business or talk? I don't know about you, but I'd rather people do business with me and never mention my name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2011, 04:23 PM

1,037 posts, read 2,048,001 times
Quote:
War? I like Atlanta but many "boosters" in your city think they are the be all and end all of the South which isn't true. The ego is just huge and you never hear that type of boosterism from Miami and truth be told most people here think more about NYC or wherever they came from than Atlanta.
As far as business is concerned that maybe true but my point was the ATL doesn't have that strong of a influence in Florida.
Or in north carolina as much any more either.... but dont tell them that

Old 05-12-2011, 04:33 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,798,960 times
Quote:
I suggest you go live in Tampa or Tallahassee.Culturally they are closer to Atlanta than Miami

Old 05-12-2011, 04:38 PM

1,037 posts, read 2,048,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
I suggest you go live in Tampa or Tallahassee.Culturally they are closer to Atlanta than Miami
I agree with u with tallahassee but i just dont see it in tampa.....

Old 05-12-2011, 05:52 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,869,796 times
Quote:
I get a kick when people think Atlanta "dominates" parts of Florida! Really? I live in central Florida now and I never hear anybody who mentions Atlanta at all! Atlanta has no political, cultural or economic influence in Florida period.
Actually Atlanta does have some influence in north Florida, which makes sense since Atlanta is closer to cities like Jacksonville and Tallahassee both geographically and culturally. Central and south Florida? Not as much (practically non-existent in S. Florida).

At any rate, most people recognize that central/south Florida is its own beast in a couple of ways and because of that is sometimes excluded from what we traditionally think of as the Southeast. Atlanta has a huge swath of influence in most of the Southeast being that it is by far the largest metro for several miles around. However, other metros in the Southeast, by reason of their own rise on a couple of levels, are also developing their own spheres of influence.

Old 05-12-2011, 06:47 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,365,574 times
Quote:
And you would be wrong Rob, sorry.

In business and Federal Government terms, ALL of Florida is dominated by Atlanta. The Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta has branches in Jacksonville and Miami. Every single Federal agency we have (with the exception of NASA) runs their branch offices in Florida from their SE HQ's here. This includes the Courts. SunTrust is HQ'd here.

The amount of O&D air traffic daily between Atlanta and every single major city in the State of Florida would blow you away. Atlanta is either the 1st or 2nd highest O&D market from every single one of them. The business and government ties and very deep and very strong.

A huge portion of your consumer goods reached you through the massive distribution hubs that are located here, a large majority of which are located on the Southside of Atlanta for access to - Florida.

You really are underestimating the influence that exists.

Old 05-12-2011, 07:02 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Actually Atlanta does have some influence in north Florida, which makes sense since Atlanta is closer to cities like Jacksonville and Tallahassee both geographically and culturally. Central and south Florida? Not as much (practically non-existent in S. Florida).

At any rate, most people recognize that central/south Florida is its own beast in a couple of ways and because of that is sometimes excluded from what we traditionally think of as the Southeast. Atlanta has a huge swath of influence in most of the Southeast being that it is by far the largest metro for several miles around. However, other metros in the Southeast, by reason of their own rise on a couple of levels, are also developing their own spheres of influence.
Maybe Jacksonville... Tallahassee culture associates more with the Gulf Coast than northern Georgia, i.e. affinity towards the ocean and even cajun food exists there in numerous places. As far as companies go, yeah sure... plenty of Georgia companies have a huge market in FL. Tallahassee maybe small, but remember it is a capital in itself. Suntrust is probably the largest bank in Tallahassee, I believe both FSU and FAMU use it as their default bank for student loans and such. Also plenty of people drive all the way to Hartsfield in Atlanta for trips. Tallahassee is a mixed bag due to state government and being a college town so tons of people from Central and South Florida always there, or find they like the slower pace and stay. FAMU has some connections in regards to the HBCU's in Atlanta, same with some rap... T-Pain is from Tallahassee. I think they are culturally quite distinct, there is an immediate difference in culture just driving over the FL/GA border. From Northern Tampa all the way around the gulf coast to almost Mobile/New Orleans including panama city, apalachicola, pensacola, destin etc has a similar shared culture, affinity for the beach, etc. etc, which is surely southern, but something pretty different than piedmont/appalachia... nothing to do with North Georgia really. Jacksonville could easily be plopped into GA though. Orlando and Miami are pretty distinct. Atlanta culture goes more north than south hitting into FL, into Charlotte, Chattanooga and west into Birmingham have way more cultural ties and similarities than N FL.

Last edited by grapico; 05-12-2011 at 07:33 PM..

Old 05-12-2011, 07:07 PM

818 posts, read 1,388,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
And you would be wrong Rob, sorry.

In business and Federal Government terms, ALL of Florida is dominated by Atlanta. The Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta has branches in Jacksonville and Miami. Every single Federal agency we have (with the exception of NASA) runs their branch offices in Florida from their SE HQ's here. This includes the Courts. SunTrust is HQ'd here.

The amount of O&D air traffic daily between Atlanta and every single major city in the State of Florida would blow you away. Atlanta is either the 1st or 2nd highest O&D market from every single one of them. The business and government ties and very deep and very strong.

A huge portion of your consumer goods reached you through the massive distribution hubs that are located here, a large majority of which are located on the Southside of Atlanta for access to - Florida.

You really are underestimating the influence that exists.
LMAO your only fooling yourself John if you think Atlanta has any kind of influence on Miami. LA and Houston are two other big cities that dont have a federal reserve bank because Dallas and SF have their respective states covered and no one in their right mind would say Dallas or SF are the more influential pair to LA or Houston.

Whats next John? Are you going to throw some BS statistics saying more in Miami prefer to shop at home depot than Lowes? More fly Delta than any other air carrier? More drink coke than any other soft drink? LMAO... keep trying though.

Old 05-12-2011, 07:22 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,365,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous Past View Post
LMAO your only fooling yourself John if you think Atlanta has any kind of influence on Miami. LA and Houston are two other big cities that dont have a federal reserve bank because Dallas and SF have their respective states covered and no one in their right mind would say Dallas or SF are the more influential pair to LA or Houston.

Whats next John? Are you going to throw some BS statistics saying more in Miami prefer to shop at home depot than Lowes? More fly Delta than any other air carrier? More drink coke than any other soft drink? LMAO... keep trying though.
You really couldn't be more clueless if you tried. You aren't qualified to be a part of this discussion hater, sorry. Attempt to prove me wrong on ANYTHING I stated. You can't.

Old 05-12-2011, 07:32 PM

818 posts, read 1,388,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
You really couldn't be more clueless if you tried. You aren't qualified to be a part of this discussion hater, sorry. Attempt to prove me wrong on ANYTHING I stated. You can't.
Ok John, let me try to prove you wrong... its not like its difficult.

This is Miami John Race and ethnicity 2010: Miami | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/walkingsf/5560452404/in/set-72157626354149574 - broken link) and this is Atlanta Race and ethnicity 2010: Atlanta | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/walkingsf/5559880279/in/set-72157626354149574 - broken link)

The first tier of influence comes from city connections on economics and demographics... demographics as you can clearly see between Miami and Atlanta are night and day. In fact I'll even go as far as to say Miami influences Atlanta, you see being a landlocked city Atlanta isnt the first place Caribbean immigrants think of over Miami which is literally in their playground and Atlanta's draw to them is influenced by Miami's representation as pop culture of the Americas.

You clearly dont know about Miami's economy there are 2 sites you can go to in order to educate yourself further John; 1) BEA where you can see the sectors of the economy of both cities broken down to see where the money comes from, where it goes, what firms, and the largest profit recorders and employment centers and 2) Wikipedia where you can read all about Miami's economy being more tied to Latin America than anywhere else in the states including its own state of Florida Miami - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Read that John, half the companies in Miami dont even have English names and your trying to tell me a regional city like Atlanta has a hold on Miami? LMAO... please
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City