Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: City that most dominates its region:
Chicago for the Midwest 166 46.89%
Atlanta for the SE 68 19.21%
Boston for New England 120 33.90%
Voters: 354. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 10:56 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,792,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
The problem is the city itself, vs the power it projects. The power of Atlanta in the global economy far exceeds the quality and infrastructure of the city as an end in itself. This is to due with how recent the boom and success there has been, and notably poor urban planning with scathing critiques not just on this board, but in the media and academic circles as well. I'm not sure why this is a shocking revelation to some. Time will tell if it will reach it's peer cities in terms of quality that it now shares power with. The problem lies where some posters equate that Atlanta is influential and powerful, as the same of it being a great city that shares similarities with its powerful peers, which just isn't the case. To put it into contrast, the quality of say New Orleans as a city as an end in itself, far exceeds its relative power and global economic/political influence.
Its because everything that you say is not supported by academia.Maybe if I break it down you can understand better,

1)As I posted earlier,there are at least 5 international studies on the importance of the worlds top cities in which Atlanta comes up in a grouping that in which is higher than what you allege is false.

2)3 American cities with ten or more consulates
3.1 Los Angeles
3.2 Chicago
3.3 San Francisco
3.4 Houston
3.5 Miami
3.6 Atlanta
3.7 Boston

3)news like this is common:
Quote:
Georgia is No. 3 in the United States in attracting greenfield foreign direct investment from China, according to an analysis by Deloitte’s Chinese Services Group.
Greenfield foreign direct investment refers to investment made in new operations and ventures, versus acquisition of existing companies.
Since 2005, California received 20 greenfield direct foreign investments by Mainland Chinese investors, New York got 12 such investments, while Georgia had 10, according to Deloitte’s analysis of data from fDi Markets.
China right now is on every bodies radar correct?

4)You keep talking about Urban planing disasters because thats your field.Yet you neglect al the new publications sighting Atlanta as a place on how to undo sprawl and its green principles in changing the way it has been in the past.
Atlanta has been delighted to have increased its rank from being the 38th most sustainable city in the United States to No. 18 under the administration of our previous mayor, Shirley Franklin.
Now Mayor Kasim Reed would like to catapult Atlanta into the top 10.

5)Culturally like it or not,no other city (other than say NYC) is the center of Urban music and culture>Which btw s NOT just a bunch of rappers.Its artist producers and industry leaders like Usher,Monica,Ne-Yo,Jermaine Dupri.If a kid in Bosnia can sing and dance to T.I. then regardless if Atlanta is mentioned or not,thats influence.Hip Hop worldwide is very influential.

This is the whole aspect of Media/entertainment.Atlanta while nowhere close to L.A. or NYCt however is up there in film,t.v. production and other related projects.This is a real segment of industry in which most cities do not have.

6)Edcation Center-Atlanta is a major educaton center and is the main one in the South period.
Maybe not you but some do like to downplay the significance of some HBCU's.Do you know that Morehouse is a school where dignitaries and heads of state send there kids to school like Olu Obasanjo(the son of former president of Nigeria).
Morehouse the school where a former U.S. Secretary of Health,Bank of America Chrm,Grammy winner actors(s),Olympic athletes etc...etc..

Quote:
The Wall Street Journal recognizes Morehouse College as one of the top 50 feeder schools in the nation in sending students to top-tier professional and graduate school programs
Georgia Tech has produced more astronauts than any school in the U.S.

Emory university constantly ranks in the Top 20 schools

7)Atlanta ranked in the top 15 in quality of infrastucure in the world by Mercer
It is one of the most wired cities and has THE best network of fiber-optics with more fiber optic cable than any other city in the United States. .than any major city world wide

8)You have a company like Invesco in Atlanta who owns Intercontinenal Exchange who is in a bidding war to buy the NYSE with NASDEQ.This is one of the largest clearing houses in America

So yes we dont get where you are coming from.It SOOO much readily available from independent sources yet you guys never answer when theses things are mentioned
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2011, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chociful View Post
thankyou for definitely settling this silly question.
I agree.

Old 05-12-2011, 11:10 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,505,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Its because everything that you say is not supported by academia.Maybe if I break it down you can understand better,

1)As I posted earlier,there are at least 5 international studies on the importance of the worlds top cities in which Atlanta comes up in a grouping that in which is higher than what you allege is false.

2)3 American cities with ten or more consulates
3.1 Los Angeles
3.2 Chicago
3.3 San Francisco
3.4 Houston
3.5 Miami
3.6 Atlanta
3.7 Boston

3)news like this is common:

China right now is on every bodies radar correct?

4)You keep talking about Urban planing disasters because thats your field.Yet you neglect al the new publications sighting Atlanta as a place on how to undo sprawl and its green principles in changing the way it has been in the past.
Atlanta has been delighted to have increased its rank from being the 38th most sustainable city in the United States to No. 18 under the administration of our previous mayor, Shirley Franklin.
Now Mayor Kasim Reed would like to catapult Atlanta into the top 10.

5)Culturally like it or not,no other city (other than say NYC) is the center of Urban music and culture>Which btw s NOT just a bunch of rappers.Its artist producers and industry leaders like Usher,Monica,Ne-Yo,Jermaine Dupri.If a kid in Bosnia can sing and dance to T.I. then regardless if Atlanta is mentioned or not,thats influence.Hip Hop worldwide is very influential.

This is the whole aspect of Media/entertainment.Atlanta while nowhere close to L.A. or NYCt however is up there in film,t.v. production and other related projects.This is a real segment of industry in which most cities do not have.

6)Edcation Center-Atlanta is a major educaton center and is the main one in the South period.
Maybe not you but some do like to downplay the significance of some HBCU's.Do you know that Morehouse is a school where dignitaries and heads of state send there kids to school like Olu Obasanjo(the son of former president of Nigeria).
Morehouse the school where a former U.S. Secretary of Health,Bank of America Chrm,Grammy winner actors(s),Olympic athletes etc...etc..

Georgia Tech has produced more astronauts than any school in the U.S.

Emory university constantly ranks in the Top 20 schools

7)Atlanta ranked in the top 15 in quality of infrastucure in the world by Mercer
It is one of the most wired cities and has THE best network of fiber-optics with more fiber optic cable than any other city in the United States. .than any major city world wide

8)You have a company like Invesco in Atlanta who owns Intercontinenal Exchange who is in a bidding war to buy the NYSE with NASDEQ.This is one of the largest clearing houses in America

So yes we dont get where you are coming from.It SOOO much readily available from independent sources yet you guys never answer when theses things are mentioned
No surprise, post went straight over your head, again. Are you even reading what I am saying? You are actually solidifying my point...mind boggling comprehension error. I agree with all your points, as I have stated, and also point 4, you say undo sprawl, so obviously something is wrong that needs undoing. Several posters have tried to push this... lagging behind, work in progress... not sure how else to explain it.

Old 05-12-2011, 11:30 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,995,483 times
Chicago dominates the Midwest
Boston dominates the New England Area.
Atlanta does not dominate the Southeast, it has stiff competition from Miami that rivals Atlanta in the Southeast.

Old 05-12-2011, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous Past View Post
Look at the record John, west336 is from Minneapolis, grapico from Chicago, Ebck from SF, back2dc from DC, and me from BK. What do we all have in common? That you're arguing all of us like its life and death because of us pointing out the flaws in your city...

So people from all over the country are all just "haters" of Atlanta? All of us are jealous and filled with hatred? No you fail to see any perspective that shows Atlanta in a dim view
Truth is you are an instigator.Anyone can look at all your post and see how many city forums you have been in and talked about viciously.You have called people names,insulted their inteligence and have been downright just hateful.Now you sit here like you are an angel when its clear you have minions ready to help with their own personal deep-seeded issues.
None of you has yet to show a publication that supports what you say.I guess we should just trust you.....

Do you know how many people on this forum dislike San Francisco,NYC or Chicago?Or we to believe they have to be correct in their tirades also because they are also from multiple cities?

Use an argument that can be debated not what you think.As it is thats pretty shallow.

Old 05-12-2011, 11:50 PM

Quote:
No surprise, post went straight over your head, again. Are you even reading what I am saying? You are actually solidifying my point...mind boggling comprehension error. I agree with all your points, as I have stated, and also point 4, you say undo sprawl, so obviously something is wrong that needs undoing. Several posters have tried to push this... lagging behind, work in progress... not sure how else to explain it.
This was not all directed at you.But because you chimed in on what the others were saying I thought it was appropriate to put t all in one basket for everyone to read.
Like it has been said before Atlanta is not San Fransisco,Boston or arguably Philly.That does not mean it does not compete with those cities in other areas they are weak on.

Atlanta has sprawl.What Atlanta has ever denied that?Yet the actual city is a far cry from what our suburbs are designed as.This is where we have a problem.We have raid transit,there are plans for more in the very near future,the city has a growing global recognition that puts it on the level where it should be fr a growing city.Every indicator shows that.

No I do not agree its lagging behind its peers.If anything its peers are falling behind and Atlanta is catching up.HYes there have been missteps but the cities that you claim to be so superior are hardly light years away.

Atlanta's economy maybe lagging currently but in the long term most economist have positive things to say about Atlanta's future.

I will go out on a limb to say that if anyone has the opinion that Atlanta is no better than Houston,Dallas,or even Miami I could go without challenging that because a lot of this is subjective.Yet those of you that paint it as somehow the "bottom of the barrel city with vile Atlantans who are the worst people on the planet",then yes I have HUGE problem with insults.When you align yourself with people who make such claims that are insulting and subjective,anything you say gets thrown in the garbage where those posters who made the rearks reside.
Have your opinions thats what these forums are.I thank you actually.I can see and measure if I am looking at things objectively by listening at the person instead of attacking them.

Old 05-12-2011, 11:56 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,505,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
This was not all directed at you.But because you chimed in on what the others were saying I thought it was appropriate to put t all in one basket for everyone to read.
Like it has been said before Atlanta is not San Fransisco,Boston or arguably Philly.That does not mean it does not compete with those cities in other areas they are weak on.
No problem. I agree, it does compete, my argument was only for the city as an in itself, it's physical makeup.

Quote:
Atlanta has sprawl.What Atlanta has ever denied that?Yet the actual city is a far cry from what our suburbs are designed as.This is where we have a problem.We have raid transit,there are plans for more in the very near future,the city has a growing global recognition that puts it on the level where it should be fr a growing city.Every indicator shows that.
I am not going to go there... but yes it has been said.
Quote:
No I do not agree its lagging behind its peers.If anything its peers are falling behind and Atlanta is catching up.HYes there have been missteps but the cities that you claim to be so superior are hardly light years away.
This is where I would disagree, as a city I think SF and Boston are far ahead of Atlanta. I guess we can agree to disagree.
Quote:
Atlanta's economy maybe lagging currently but in the long term most economist have positive things to say about Atlanta's future.
I disagree here, I think the economy is actually fine.

Quote:
I will go out on a limb to say that if anyone has the opinion that Atlanta is no better than Houston,Dallas,or even Miami I could go without challenging that because a lot of this is subjective.Yet those of you that paint it as somehow the "bottom of the barrel city with vile Atlantans who are the worst people on the planet",then yes I have HUGE problem with insults.When you align yourself with people who make such claims that are insulting and subjective,anything you say gets thrown in the garbage where those posters who made the rearks reside.
Bottom of the barrel just means it is last or close to last among other U.S. major cities, in terms of the quality of the actual city, not in economics, hq's, power, influence. The city itself has a poor design and is not developed, refined, nor polished in the same way as many of it's peers. I didn't say anything about worst people on the planet. I just walk the same fine line you do

Quote:
Have your opinions thats what these forums are.I thank you actually.I can see and measure if I am looking at things objectively by listening at the person instead of attacking them.
no problem.

Old 05-13-2011, 03:54 AM

657 posts, read 1,504,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
You do NOT speak for this forum, and never have. You resort to unbelievably gross insults, outright lies and vicious attacks. You simply have no credibility anymore, and hardly measure up to ANY of the people you have referenced. EVERYONE knows you are a true, frothing at the mouth hater.

Therefore, zero credibility. Nothing you post matters anymore.
Why do I have this image of you with your eyes closed and your fingers stuck in your ears after typing this? Rocking in your chair and shaking your head, chanting "Nothing you post matters anymore. Make it go away. Nothing you post matters anymore. Make it go away. Nothing you post matters anymore..." Rainman anyone?

You are the one with zero credibility. You offer no counter arguments to ANY of these posters from all over the country. And why? Because we're all correct! You just repeat the same comebacks over and over and over: about BILE and ZERO CREDIBILITY and GROSS INSULTS. You really need some new material. Maybe it's time to hang up the Atlanta Superfriends uniform?

Old 05-13-2011, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
I honestly do not feel you are familiar enough with this place in real life to pass the broad, sweeping generalizations that you do. It's that simple.

Spend some time here in the business world and you'll see what I mean by this. You know Atlanta on paper. I have lived here for 25 years now, and interacted with the place on multiple levels. You continue to underestimate it.
I'm familiar with the city. I lived there from '84 - '88 and again in '07. I have visited my family in Atlanta every year up until now. I'm more than qualified and familiar with the city in "real life" to comment on its serious shortcomings.

Old 05-13-2011, 04:05 AM

Quote:
You avoided the question. Yes or No. Or shall I assume by you avoiding the question, you agree with me but won't admit it. I am not sure what you are arguing, my entire post just solidified Atlanta as right there in the business world. That is why I said Atlanta is a major global economic force. I repeat, Atlanta is a major global economic force but the city as an end in itself lags far behind its peers. This is the root of the problem, please refer to my prior post for the more lengthy version, and I am still waiting your response to the question, not my familiarity or your 25 years living there.
He'll never face the question head on. You're dealing with an openly gay man with excessive self-loathing, as he chooses to defend a city and state that would rather see him dead than give him the right to marry or allow his partner to share in health benefits and inheritance rights. I've tried to tell him he's be much happier living in DC or Massachusetts, and much of his anger and frustration would disappear. He would have the full legal rights of everyone else and not be a second-class citizen like he is in Georgia and the South.

John used to make me angry with his inability and refusal to comprehend what the rest of us are trying to tell him. Now I just feel sad for him and his petulant attitude. John, just pack up and move to a place where you will have full equal rights. The capital of the New Confederacy is not a place for any gay man or lesbian. Come home, brother...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City