Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: City that most dominates its region:
Chicago for the Midwest 166 46.89%
Atlanta for the SE 68 19.21%
Boston for New England 120 33.90%
Voters: 354. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 01:08 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperialmog View Post
The biggest reason Miami isn't the dominant city in the Southeast is due to it being quite far away from most of the region due to geography. In terms of straight-line distance form Atlanta, Chicago is as far way as Miami.

I would feel Miami is really only dominant in the area of Florida from about I-4 south, generally the same dividing line people use to determine what part of Florida is really culturally southern anymore?

I think this makes sense. I agree Atlanta is percieved and probably in function is the main city of the region. From that perspective I am often surprised it is not larger and more of an economic engine though i do believe Atlanta will continue to have a bright future...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2011, 01:14 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,361,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I think this makes sense. I agree Atlanta is percieved and probably in function is the main city of the region. From that perspective I am often surprised it is not larger and more of an economic engine though i do believe Atlanta will continue to have a bright future...
Yep. This was the big story here this week:

Porsche's move revs up Atlanta's image *| ajc.com

Old 05-15-2011, 01:37 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
The thing some of you are looking for is Miami is the premier city in the southeast of the united states, high culture, fashion, arts, entertainment, international visibility, nightlife, desirability, tourism, skyline, wealth, diversity, population. Miami is tops, although it might not be the strongest economic player or logistical hub or dominant city, nor share a "southern" identity, it remains the premier city in the southeastern united states.

Old 05-15-2011, 01:41 PM

657 posts, read 1,504,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Yep. This was the big story here this week:

Porsche's move revs up Atlanta's image *| ajc.com
You do realize that they're just moving offices from one part of the Atlanta sprawl to another part of the same sprawl. Not sure why that would make it a "big story" to you Clampetts.

Old 05-15-2011, 01:53 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,794,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous Past View Post
Finance? Please dont talk about it like you know, I work in finance and plenty of major firms operate in Philly from NYC as a secondary market to NYC in this region. Boston's sector in finance is more similar to SF, different division than NYC and Philly. Do you know anything about finance?

Skip, do you realize the level of interplay in this corridor? Atlanta isnt even close in any scale economically speaking... yours would be a work in progress. You continuously boost Atlanta for its importance and post a chart with rankings you have no understanding of. Your scared to explain how Atlanta bests Boston or Philly, explain...
Yes I know enough to make and informed comment.You suggesting that Philly somehow has a leg up over Boston in the financial sector is nothing but pandering so stop "skippy".

I never said Atlanta beats those cities.I said Atlanta competes.I dont mind saying that in the long term Philly has great " bones" that can make it as competitive as Boston is IF it keeps and develops a multi prong growth strategy and focus on it.Is it there now?NO.Not by a long shot.

You if a city has a higher GDP then it "wins".Unless we are talking NYC or eve L.A. and Chicago,Most of these cities are competing with each other.Their are multiple factors that have to be considered

Just because finance firms from New York operate in Philly does not mean they dont do the same in Atlanta,L.A..There are no large banks Headquartered in Philly.Do you even know what are the largest Investment firms are?Which nes are headquartered in Philly?Boston is ALL over every financial chart their is.

Quote:
ATLANTA -- Atlantic Trust, the private wealth management division of Invesco Ltd. (NYSE: IVZ), today announced the firm has been named the top wealth management firm in the U.S., according to the 2011 Luxury Brand Status Index (LBSI).

Atlantic Trust scored the highest among 35 private wealth management firms in the survey with an overall LBSI score of 6.96 out of a maximum possible 10. The LBSI measures four separate indices - Quality, Exclusivity, Social Status and Self-Enhance
Invesco as I informed you before is the firm in talks to by the NasdaQ with NYSE/Euronext.It also operates the only and largest exchange currently in the entire South:
Invesco Global | Offices

Quote:
Invesco Ltd. (NYSE: IVZ) is an independent investment management company that is incorporated in Bermuda, headquartered in Atlanta, Georgia and trades on the New York Stock Exchange. Its common stock is a constituent of the S&P 500, the S&P 500 Value index, Russell 1000 and the Russell MidCap Indices. It has branches in 20 countries
Invesco currently owns the corporate naming rights to Invesco Field at Mile High, a stadium in Denver, Colorado

Top 10 Cities For A Career In Finance

Old 05-15-2011, 02:03 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,361,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by back2dc View Post
You do realize that they're just moving offices from one part of the Atlanta sprawl to another part of the same sprawl. Not sure why that would make it a "big story" to you Clampetts.
You didn't even read the article, did you?

They are also closing a Chicago office and building a test track at their new location on the site of the old Ford factory.

And Hapeville is an old industrial suburb and very urban, not in the sprawl at all. More lies from you.

Old 05-15-2011, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Yes I know enough to make and informed comment.You suggesting that Philly somehow has a leg up over Boston in the financial sector is nothing but pandering so stop "skippy".

I never said Atlanta beats those cities.I said Atlanta competes.I dont mind saying that in the long term Philly has great " bones" that can make it as competitive as Boston is IF it keeps and develops a multi prong growth strategy and focus on it.Is it there now?NO.Not by a long shot.

You if a city has a higher GDP then it "wins".Unless we are talking NYC or eve L.A. and Chicago,Most of these cities are competing with each other.Their are multiple factors that have to be considered

Just because finance firms from New York operate in Philly does not mean they dont do the same in Atlanta,L.A..There are no large banks Headquartered in Philly.Do you even know what are the largest Investment firms are?Which nes are headquartered in Philly?Boston is ALL over every financial chart their is.

Invesco as I informed you before is the firm in talks to by the NasdaQ with NYSE/Euronext.It also operates the only and largest exchange currently in the entire South:
Invesco Global | Offices

Invesco currently owns the corporate naming rights to Invesco Field at Mile High, a stadium in Denver, Colorado

Top 10 Cities For A Career In Finance

Carefull Afonga - Finance is not the main industry in Philly but start with these

Vangaurd
Lincoln Financial
SEI - actually closes the market on a daily basis worldwide

And no these are not NYC spinoffs

I agree Boston is more a center of Finance

Healthcare medicine, absolutely not, at worst tied

Education, Philly can make a case for the #2 city in the country after Boston

Philly also is a larger logistics hub, chemicals, energy, Pharmaceuticals obviously, Law by far when compared to Boston

Wow Atlanta isnt even the radar if Philly has a long way to go, maybe you guys should go back and discuss why Atlanta is more important than Charlotte - you will stack up much better.

Dude Philly is 50% larger than Atlanta on economic output and icome while only 13% larger in population. What is wrong with y'all folks doen there.

Actually all i want was for you to explain what all this distance philly has to go which you still havent doen so now we just take pokes at each other.

Splain please...

Also at this point Splain how Atlanta shoul even be in the same group with these, last time i looked is was 6 places behind philly on output/income and a few behind Boston as well. Actually Atlanta is the one with a LONG way to go not Philly.

Old 05-15-2011, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous Past View Post
Thats fine John, I dont expect people to know how finance works just as you expect most others dont know how the airline industry works.

In finance its broken down into different sectors which are further divided into different divisions. NYC and Philly's markets are geared towards banking and asset management whereas Chicago is futures exchange and commodities, Boston and SF particularly strong in professional services and finally SF and DC in govt infrastructure.
I tell it like it is John, if you cant handle the truth then don't read and it will save you a lot of frustration. Lets not sit here and pretend, someone coming from Atlanta saying Philly has a long ways in progress to make in finance, education, med services, etc is smoking crack... someone from Atlanta of all places saying Philadelphia has ways to get to Boston's level in those when Atlanta is nearly nonexistent in finance...

It would be the same as someone from Orlando preaching to Tampans how to properly contain and ship cargo... just dont want to go there
Silly little boy.You dont know where I've been or where Im from.Philly is truly my second home and will always be.I love it and I want the best for it.I have defended Philly left and right on these forums when it has been attacked unfairly because I know the city and its potential.

Unlike you I can be honest.Its apart of my code of conduct that I signed nd pledge my life to always be.Not just because of the Air Force but its "what my mama taught me".Im not gonna let you or nobody else scandalize and just LIE about my name!

You are a very dishonest person and I dont care if I get banned for life by saying it.You are making false allegations that you are purposely attributing to me.Is it that important for you to be right?To win?Win what if your soul is lost by lies,deception and mean spirited behavior.
You really think you are better than some people.Its obvious in your entitlement behavior you feel you can say what ever you feel.

Who the heck do you think you are to feel qualified?You dont even know me dude!If you did you would know that I have a very intimate knowledge of Philly.I used to live there and my much of my family is there.We have homes in Philly!I can tell you more than you could EVER tell me about Philly.

As a mater of fact,Philly is the city I had/had planning on moving to but every-time im there, things I feel needs to change are far behind what I'm looking for.

Its the same about Atlanta.Its not perfect but its got everything I need that Philly has but cheaper,newer and the weathers better.

I can comment on any place I have intimate knowledge of.Unlike you coming out of your so called "mind".
Just like you feel you can talk about Atlanta because you are obviously "slow" that you dont even know the financial sector or ANYTHING about Atlanta!All the way from New Yawk and you think you feel qualified to say anything?
Puhlease!!!

Dont try me dude.You're so to beneath me in your NYC cubicle you call home.Get out and do some traveling then maybe you wont be so ignorant.I mean im trying to help YOU.

Old 05-15-2011, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Carefull Afonga - Finance is not the main industry in Philly but start with these

Vangaurd
Lincoln Financial
SEI - actually closes the market on a daily basis worldwide

And no these are not NYC spinoffs

I agree Boston is more a center of Finance

Healthcare medicine, absolutely not, at worst tied

Education, Philly can make a case for the #2 city in the country after Boston

Philly also is a larger logistics hub, chemicals, energy, Pharmaceuticals obviously, Law by far when compared to Boston

Wow Atlanta isnt even the radar if Philly has a long way to go, maybe you guys should go back and discuss why Atlanta is more important than Charlotte - you will stack up much better.

Dude Philly is 50% larger than Atlanta on economic output and icome while only 13% larger in population. What is wrong with y'all folks doen there.

Actually all i want was for you to explain what all this distance philly has to go which you still havent doen so now we just take pokes at each other.

Splain please...

Also at this point Splain how Atlanta shoul even be in the same group with these, last time i looked is was 6 places behind philly on output/income and a few behind Boston as well. Actually Atlanta is the one with a LONG way to go not Philly.
Yes Atlanta does have a long way to go.But Atlanta did not go backwards.Atlanta has become a competitor meaning it may not beat Boston or Philly but it most definately competes.Philly was a powerhouse many years and it declined while Boston has kept going(not by leaps and bounds but contant growth).

Atlanta being a new "man in the ring" started much later but is definitely in the ring.Its setbacks are due to the whole countries ills not soley of its own.

Even the unemployment is not as significant as you are making it seem.
Philly 8.5%
Atlanta 9.7%

Boston ranked #5 in jobs added for 2010.
Philly #17
Atlanta #25
Private-sector employment in 100 major metros (December 2010) | Business First

But truthfully you do know why that is.Atlanta was hot al these years.The market cooled off and people found themselves in a market that had less jobs.

People are moving into Philly but they lag behind in that category too.Its good they are not loosing pop,but its just doing a little more than maintaining.

Philly is not #2 behind Boston in Educaton.That would be NYC,L.A.
It just does not have the student population.

I dont like to dwell on the negatives of any city unless its just so overwhelming.In Philly's case its not, but its that its finally turned the corner away from what many people were saying was might become the next Detroit.

Philly has one of the highest poverty rates in America at over 25 and growing%.
Atlanta, GA . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Individuals 22.4 /Families 16.2
Philadelphia, PA . . . . . . . . . . . 24.1 / 18.8
Office of the Controller, City of Philadelphia, Controller Alan Butkovitz

Your infrastructure needs serious work.
Atlanta doe not have anything as bad as North Philly and even like Kensington areas.I know efforts have been made but its SOO MUCH.Boston does not have this problem on this level.Not to mention Camden.

Philly has had strikes from sanitation,to public transits problems,funding issues.

http://www.census.gov/compendia/stat...es/11s0707.pdf

Among blacks,its even higher.
Atlanta does have issues too.And you are more than free to bring them up,but you asked me why I said what I said and I stand by it as it pertains to the topic.But again you can play innocent all you want but you just assumed I would say Atlanta was better than Philly-----?But Atlanta has its points and lows as Philly does.But Philly is not "blowing anybody out of the water"

Old 05-15-2011, 04:26 PM

Philly IS number 2 in college students actually; and Temple is adding another 15K on campus students over the next ten years in an area that CC is quickly re-capuring with a push from the university and 1.5 billion investment in the neighborhood.

Have you been to Kennsington Lately? You realize Steven Starr is opening a new Restaurant in that area this week (believe it or not CC is heading that direction, parts of Kennsignton are the new hot Art neighborhoods; actually an influx of artists and many from Brooklyn; something 20 years I personally would have never believed, though that neighborhood DOES have a ways to go but the change recently is to me unbelievable especially when i think that 20 years ago K&A was likely one of the worst drug corners in the US). North Philly, Parts of West and Most of SW are a disaster agree. But with Kennsington getting better areas like Frankford and Mayfair are getting worse as the city pushes out from the core.

We will agree to disagree on certain aspects but I also suspect there also may a fundamental disconnect. I believe you are AA and from that perspective I would likely agree that Atlanta likely offers greater opportunities than does Philly from that perspective. One thing that Philly really needs to do better at is racial equality. For whatever reason the racial divide in Philly is more promlogated than most and that truly is a shame that it exists anywhere; especially in a city founded on ideals of equality and the birthplace of document seeking equality.

I do thank you though for finally addressing my question; actually that was all I was looking for, I could debate some of your points and also agree on others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City