Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 10:13 PM

592 posts, read 828,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
The ocean in SF is warmer Nov through April than NYC but it's not like it matters much as both are too cold to swim in either way. But the water around NYC is actually swimmable during summer with temps in the 70's, the water around SF never goes above 60. There is virtually no beach scene during summer anywhere in Northern CA during summer except for maybe one or two towns (Santa Cruz).

If you like warm weather and beaches Northern CA is not a good place to look at for anytime of the year. At least NYC has a summer beach scene.
There are no places in Nor Cal that have warm weather? And you're from the Bay Area? Have you spent your entire life living in the Sunset district of SF? Parts of Nor Cal are cool, but most parts are very warm in the Summer. It was 85+ everyday last week in San Rafael, which is only 15 miles north of SF. Many parts of the Bay Area and Nor Cal get downright HOT in the Summer.

As for nice beaches- the only beach I like in the Bay Area is Stinson Beach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2013, 01:15 AM

5,294 posts, read 10,209,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaPirate355 View Post
Really? I mean I know they're foggy but I didn't know they were colder. Though I have heard the Atlantic Ocean is warmer than the Pacific, but I thought that was only true for Florida?
The Atlantic is NOT warmer than the Pacific. The average temperature of the Atlantic on the equator is 85F. The average of the Pacific on the equator is 88F. The waters of the PNW are warmer in the winter, and likely year-round, than the North Atlantic off of Maine, which is about the same latitude.

Old 09-15-2013, 10:24 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,521,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFNative87 View Post
There are no places in Nor Cal that have warm weather? And you're from the Bay Area? Have you spent your entire life living in the Sunset district of SF? Parts of Nor Cal are cool, but most parts are very warm in the Summer. It was 85+ everyday last week in San Rafael, which is only 15 miles north of SF. Many parts of the Bay Area and Nor Cal get downright HOT in the Summer.

I think he means by the pacific ocean, not anywhere there. Actually he said warm weather "and" beaches. Warm weather and beaches indeed usually do not mix there. Near the ocean is usually the coldest in the summer months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
The Atlantic is NOT warmer than the Pacific. The average temperature of the Atlantic on the equator is 85F. The average of the Pacific on the equator is 88F. The waters of the PNW are warmer in the winter, and likely year-round, than the North Atlantic off of Maine, which is about the same latitude.
He's obviously talking about places where you'd actually swim in the U.S. on the coasts. Not the entire body of water.

Old 09-15-2013, 10:32 AM

5,294 posts, read 10,209,468 times
In that case, Hawaii (in the Pacific) is the warmest.

Old 09-15-2013, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
In that case, Hawaii (in the Pacific) is the warmest.
Around CA or NYC as per the topic..... Stop talking about Hawaii, my god. Must you bring Hawaii into every single thread somehow?

Old 09-15-2013, 06:47 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,696,386 times
Well I imagine San Francisco has better beaches. But I would choose NYC over SanFran any day, even if I have family in that area, California's future isn't looking good.

Old 09-15-2013, 06:52 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,903,148 times
Quote:
Well I imagine San Francisco has better beaches. But I would choose NYC over SanFran any day, even if I have family in that area, California's future isn't looking good.
No actually the NYC metro has better beaches for swimming than the SF. You can't even go for a dip in July in SF.

Old 09-16-2013, 05:45 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATUMRE75 View Post
No actually the NYC metro has better beaches for swimming than the SF. You can't even go for a dip in July in SF.
Yup. The east coast rules if you want to swim in June/July. Here the water is chilly year round.

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.

Old 09-16-2013, 07:46 AM

Quote:
no... Scenic...yes, very. If you want to go for a walk or hike in the area, it's definitely beautiful. There are only a handful of days a year that it is even comfortable to lay out in shorts in a t shirt, often it's just too chilly. Usually you'll want jeans and a windbreaker/hoodie.

There are some good diving and surfing spots, and people take their boats or windsurfing things out pretty often.

Old 09-16-2013, 09:33 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,663,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFNative87 View Post

I said warm weather AND beaches, as in experiencing warm weather at the beach and not 15-20 miles away from the ocean. What good does 85+ degree weather inland for for me at the beach, oh yeah it causes fog to be sucked in from the ocean at the beach, fantastic!

I grew up in Walnut Creek where it's 85+ nearly the entire summer btw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City