Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2013, 07:52 PM

580 posts, read 1,180,829 times

Advertisements

Lol at that picture. Such a cute little village with medium density on a world level. Honestly, I really like the picture but its comparable to a urban canyon found in Philly or Boston. Even Chicago's urban canyons trounce SF.

Thanks for the pic though, just not world class/NY urbanity level there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2013, 07:58 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,132,310 times
Hong Kong has ridiculous canyons and this goes on for miles...

SF has nothing on this.

Old 03-10-2013, 07:59 PM

2,545 posts, read 3,296,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
Your comment seems to suggest that "urban canyon" is the ideal to which San Francisco aspires. You don't seem to understand San Francisco. Likewise, NYC is nothing like this
Nice picture. At first glance it looked strikingly similar to Passeig de Gracia in Barcelona. It took a much closer look for me to realize this was actually SF.

Old 03-10-2013, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
Nice picture. At first glance it looked strikingly similar to Passeig de Gracia in Barcelona. It took a much closer look for me to realize this was actually SF.
That's SF? I thought that was a different city in a different country. Wow. That's actually a nice picture. Loving the architecture.

Old 03-10-2013, 08:04 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,413,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
there's more going on in brooklyn than the bay area

this is poor
San Francisco has 1/3 the population of Brooklyn, yet has more jobs total. Not per capita, TOTAL. Thank God for annexation!

Last edited by RaymondChandlerLives; 03-10-2013 at 08:16 PM..

Old 03-10-2013, 08:07 PM

2,545 posts, read 3,296,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
That's SF? I thought that was a different city in a different country. Wow. That's actually a nice picture. Loving the architecture.
Honestly at first i thought that was surely Barcelona. Until I looked closer and saw the Palomar sign, lol. Yes, very beautiful indeed.

Old 03-10-2013, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
Honestly at first i thought that was surely Barcelona. Until I looked closer and saw the Palomar sign, lol. Yes, very beautiful indeed.
It really does make SF look majestic especially with the sunset and mountains in the background. Def. one of the most inspiring pictures I've seen of the downtown SF area. What street is that on? Market?

Old 03-10-2013, 08:20 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,960,126 times
Quote:
Hong Kong has ridiculous canyons and this goes on for miles...

SF has nothing on this.
Saw Hong Kong in 2006, long time and going on 7 years (will be by summer) so there's probably quite a few differences from then to now but loved the place, one of my 5 favorites in the wold.

You'll like these:

One
Hong Kong

Hong Kong

Hong Kong

Hong Kong

Hong Kong

Hong Kong

Hong Kong

Two
Hong Kong

Hong Kong

Hong Kong

Hong Kong

Hong Kong

Hong Kong

Hong Kong

Three
Hong Kong

Hong Kong

Hong Kong

Hong Kong

Hong Kong

Four
Hong Kong

Hong Kong

Hong Kong

Hong Kong

Hong Kong

Hong Kong

Five
Hong Kong

Hong Kong

Hong Kong

Hong Kong

Hong Kong

Hong Kong

Hong Kong

Six
Hong Kong

Hong Kong

Hong Kong

Hong Kong

Hong Kong

Hong Kong

Hong Kong

Hong Kong

Seven
Hong Kong

Hong Kong

Hong Kong

Hong Kong

Hong Kong

Hong Kong

Eight
Hong Kong

Hong Kong

Hong Kong

Hong Kong

Hong Kong

The humid weather doesn't bother me, probably my favorite preference in climate anyhow and while the overall housing situation restricts to micro-apartment size most commonly and very expensive but it's worth living there.

Old 03-10-2013, 08:23 PM

I went to HK in 2009 for a Student Ambasssador trip. It's right up there with NYC and Tokyo easily. Vast urban canyons and a skyline you can look at for hours in amazement. It actually has 2 different skylines: Hong Kong Island and Kowloon. Seeing HK from Victoria's Peak was breathtaking. One of the best cities in the world. I love the lightshow they did nightly too of the main CBD area.

Old 03-10-2013, 08:36 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,960,126 times
Quote:
I went to HK in 2009 for a Student Ambasssador trip. It's right up there with NYC and Tokyo easily. Vast urban canyons and a skyline you can look at for hours in amazement. It actually has 2 different skylines: Hong Kong Island and Kowloon. Seeing HK from Victoria's Peak was breathtaking. One of the best cities in the world. I love the lightshow they did nightly too of the main CBD area.
Likewise I enjoyed the tram as well as the tour from Victoria Harbor, even got the chance to see some residentials from the inside in Happy Valley. The dual skyline look in Kowloon and across the harbor on the island is quite amazing, I never got the chance to venture out to the parts near mainland China however but did spend a good amount of time in Sham Shui Po, Hung Hom, San Po Kong, Kowloon Tong, Lion Rock, Yau Yat Cheun (spelling?), To Kwa Wan, Shek Kip Mei.

Next time when I go and I plan to go soon because one of the few places that I could like living and visiting with my favorite skyline (especially at night) I would like to see all of the Pearl River Delta's big cities: Shenzhen, Guangzhou, Macau, Dongguan, Sangdozhen, and Foshan. As a "collection" of cities probably one of my two favorite megalopolises in the world along with the Taiheiyo Belt in Japan with the bigs of Tokyo-Nagoya-Osaka and their satellites (never been to Japan).

Either which way, I sort of culturally fall in the "East and Southeast" Asia belt.

On a different note though, a big disappoint (and one of the only) is that it could use a better food scene.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City