Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2013, 08:41 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,133,368 times

Advertisements

Well, I went to Hong Kong, Shanghai, Xi'an and Beijing on the trip. I would rank them being HK > Shanghai > Beijing > Xi'an. Shanghai is also grand, but it feels EXTREMELY crowded, but there are very nice historic districts that have European architecture that are amazing. I didn't like Beijing or Xi'an as much to be honest.

Still, i think NYC is over all of them simply for architecture. But I don't want to veer off-topic when this is about NYC and SF.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2013, 08:42 PM

580 posts, read 1,180,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
San Francisco has 1/3 the population of Brooklyn, yet has more jobs total. Not per capita, TOTAL. Thank God for annexation!
I understand where you are coming from with this post. I am curious to see how the city of SF would have developed I'd it was not an island. I am not sure how it would have turned out, but for now its world class. Goodbye my friend.

Old 03-10-2013, 08:50 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,134,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cream Man View Post
Lol at that picture. Such a cute little village with medium density on a world level. Honestly, I really like the picture but its comparable to a urban canyon found in Philly or Boston. Even Chicago's urban canyons trounce SF.

Thanks for the pic though, just not world class/NY urbanity level there.
Genius. I posted that pic as a non-"urban canyon". Urban canyons are the measure of your quality of life? Okay. It seems like NYC is a good spot for you.

I posted the pic to show the mix of city and mountains, the history and the clean, clear air. I couldn't care less about urban canyons. How in the world would they affect my life in any way?

Old 03-10-2013, 09:00 PM

580 posts, read 1,180,927 times
If you want to talk about quality of life check out the thread by valentro. Take a look at their outrageous condo prices compared to the salaries. SF is the worst in the top 12 msa's.

Old 03-10-2013, 09:49 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,134,833 times
Quote:
If you want to talk about quality of life check out the thread by valentro. Take a look at their outrageous condo prices compared to the salaries. SF is the worst in the top 12 msa's.
No.

Old 03-10-2013, 10:00 PM

592 posts, read 828,263 times
Quote:
Mr Valentro, you are spending a lot of time making my hometown metro look amazing. I appreciate it. These pictures are amazing. Montclair do you have any Oakland pictures?

SF had nothing on the level of this urban canyon.

http://i.imgur.com/zyC178r.jpg?1
I will admit that NYC has the second best skyline in America. I'd give Chicago the #1 spot- which is of course highly debatable- but I view their skyline as being more organized, modern, and pretty.

Old 03-10-2013, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
Your comment seems to suggest that "urban canyon" is the ideal to which San Francisco aspires. You don't seem to understand San Francisco. Likewise, NYC is nothing like this
Very nice picture! This is why 18Montclair states that San Francisco is an amazing mix of urban living, beautiful scenery, etc. As you stated, San Francisco will never be New York, while New York will never be like this. I live in Marin County. Its green, mountainous, has some nice beaches, yet beautiful/urban San Francisco is a 15 minute drive away.

Old 03-10-2013, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
It really does make SF look majestic especially with the sunset and mountains in the background. Def. one of the most inspiring pictures I've seen of the downtown SF area. What street is that on? Market?
yes

Old 03-10-2013, 10:42 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Mr Valentro, you are spending a lot of time making my hometown metro look amazing. I appreciate it. These pictures are amazing. Montclair do you have any Oakland pictures?

SF had nothing on the level of this urban canyon.

http://i.imgur.com/zyC178r.jpg?1
Quite frankly, comparing Brooklyn, a place that is a few rungs above developing world, to an upscale showplace like SF is laughable.

An urban canyon is okay but if the street level amenities are low class to mediocre at best, what's the point in suffering in 50,000 persons per sq mile in Brooklyn squalor when SF has areas in the 15,000-30,000 density range that obliterate Brooklyn as far as quality of life.

And in case you hadnt noticed, the conversation had elevated well beyond Brooklyn's ability to compete.

An underachieving borough vs an overachieving world city, is really no comparison at all.

Which is why I find it bizarre that there are some still insisting that a place like Brooklyn is even worthy of being mentioned in the same sentence as San Francisco, let alone SFs uber region that eats most megacities for lunch.

Old 03-10-2013, 10:48 PM

Amazing flyover from Marin to San Francisco. Just watching this reminds me of how blessed I am to live in the Bay Area. Of course not all of the Bay Area looks like this, but it is impressive.

Helicopter tour of SF and Marin for Mimi's bday - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City