Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2013, 10:02 PM

411 posts, read 719,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Mainly because everyone adds San Jose to SF, so yes, with a satellite city of 1 million 1 hour away gets counted as a part of your metro, it ups the prestige of the city, but in reality, SF is not even close to the likes of NYC. People are delusional if they think this. Manhattan alone trumps SF and more. They just share similar costs of living and thats it. NYC is arguably the #1 city in the world along with London. Then you have powerhouses like Seoul, Tokyo, Hong Kong, Paris, Shanghai, Singapore, Moscow, Los Angeles, etc. SF is not even top 10, maybe not even top 20 in city rankings overall.

Only on CD do you see SF so overrated as far as overall metro and that's mainly because of the very high densities that SF achieves(Compared to the cities I mentioned above with the exception of LA, SF doesn't even come close to density). People on Cd don't seem very traveled. Once they go to the powerhouse cities around the world, they will understand that SF is not that much to the world. Thank god for San Jose, right?
-yes, the presence of Silicon Valley and SJ help SF's prestige/impact, etc., but NYC is also helped by rich suburbs and vacation spots in Long Island, and all the hedge funds and rich neighborhoods up north, well into CT. And SF is still a larger center for jobs than SJ by far; less ppl live there mainly because its land area is far less than SJ. SF is still a huge tourist destination, particularly for its size; the same will probably never be said of SJ. SJ is a cultural backwater and is not exactly an iconic city. Also many tech companies are moving into SF now, particularly the startups. And high end professional industries like finance, law, consulting, and marketing/advertising are largely in SF, not SV/SJ, with the exception of some VC's in Palo Alto and Menlo Park.

-I don't think CityData is the only place where they are compared to all the time. Just do a Google search and see often it comes up in other question/forum sites, or websites/blogs. Then try Goolging comparisons of any other city under a million ppl with NYC.

-Even if CityData compares the two cities more than the "general public" or ppl in the "everyday world", you think CityData reflects some innate Bay Area bias? I doubt it. More to the point, ppl in the everyday world aren't constantly comparing cities; CityData does and it's chosen the SF v NYC comparison time and again

-I do think the general public, both with the US and internationally, tend to see SF as among the elite cities in the US. Top 5 for sure in name recognition. When the cultural or professional elite of the country want to pick places to live/work or everyday ppl want to take a vacation, SF is at the top of the list, along with NYC, LA, Chicago, and maybe DC. Yet it's ranked 14/15th in population. (And DC has the inherent advantage of being the capital where the fed gov't, contractors, embassies, think tanks, and gov't monuments are in terms of attracting workers and vacationers.) You really think ppl outside the country or even within it think of places like Austin, Dallas, San Antonio, Miami, Atlanta, Boston, Phoenix in the same regard as SF? Those are all similar size cities, but they don't ring bells the same way as SF

Also, I and many ppl on City-Data are well traveled. So don't give me this crap about, well if you just went out more, you'd realize SF isn't that big/impressive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2013, 10:10 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,924,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
To me, San Francisco and maybe Chicago are the two cities in the US that do not care to be counted as "peer cities" of New York (whatever that means), especially by someone in Atlanta. You describe us as living in a bubble. I wear that as a badge. There is nowhere like SF and nowhere I'd rather be.

I do love New York, and have always enjoyed being there. It is a fantastic place, and one of my favorite cities in the world. I am not for an instant envious of my friends who live there, though. They like it there, which I understand, but for me, I would miss my California life if i were in NYC.

It's just different here. I agree that NYC is a bigger, more influential city. Lots of places like Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, etc. sometimes seem to waste a lot of energy wishing they were more like NYC. I get that. SF actively resists this thinking, though. We are quite fond of our "charming little village" as you New Yorkers and others with half the character style and energy this city smugly like call it. NYC's prominence isn't a threat to me or my city. I am thankful every day I step out into the clean, clear Pacific air. I don't even care if anyone on CD thinks it's better. People who experience the lifestyle beyond an Internet discussion group fall in love with SF every day. Sure, they do with NY, too. Perhaps even in greater numbers. Many who love one of these cities also love the other, though often for different reasons.

I completely understand someone's preference for New York. My question is, why are New Yorkers so threatened or incredulous when someone shows a preference for San Francisco? Is it so beyond your realm of comprehension that one of the most strikingly beautiful and vibrant cities in the world might have the power to draw someone in different and more captivating ways than NYC?
Posts like this really, really bug me. Show me where "Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, etc.", waste energy wishing they were like NYC. This is a forum of people's dreams, thoughts, aspirations...whatever. It's NOT the real world. I have family in Chicago, and I have NEVER, EVER heard them talk about wishing their city was more like ANY other city. IN THE REAL WORLD, people don't do this. People aren't threatened by the prominence of another city. Really, people, the real world differs drastically from what you are thinking. Just...please...enough.

Old 03-11-2013, 10:18 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,132,310 times
-Actually, you'd be surprised. People probably think of Miami and Boston much moreso then you think. I mean, Harvard is the #1 ranked university in the world and Miami beach is actually a very popular area known worldwide.

-As I said, there are two cities that foreigners think of most when America is brought up: Los Angeles and NYC...after this, it drops off big time. Again, overrating SF. Miami is probably just as known worldwide of SF is. Europeans love Miami and Los Angeles.

-And NYC hardly relies on Long Island LOL. What? When the NYC metro GDP is brought up, I'm sure the first thing people think of is Manhattan bringing in the vast majority of it. For SF, San Jose ups it's GDP by a lot. Without San Jose, Houston would be beating SF by a lot. The difference is Houston doesn't rely on cities 50-60 miles away.

-SF is more of a tourist city then a business city IMHO. NYC brings all of that together in a grand and magical way.

-Main point is, stop comparing SF to NYC as a city overall. They don't compare. Now, if you personally like SF better, then that's on you.

Old 03-11-2013, 10:27 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,134,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
Posts like this really, really bug me. Show me where "Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, etc.", waste energy wishing they were like NYC. This is a forum of people's dreams, thoughts, aspirations...whatever. It's NOT the real world. I have family in Chicago, and I have NEVER, EVER heard them talk about wishing their city was more like ANY other city. IN THE REAL WORLD, people don't do this. People aren't threatened by the prominence of another city. Really, people, the real world differs drastically from what you are thinking. Just...please...enough.
I said exactly this about Chicago, so I don't understand your rant.

I am from Houston, have lived in Dallas and have family and friends in Atlanta and the climber/wannabe attitude is palpable.

Old 03-11-2013, 10:27 PM

Quote:
-Actually, you'd be surprised. People probably think of Miami and Boston much moreso then you think. I mean, Harvard is the #1 ranked university in the world and Miami beach is actually a very popular area known worldwide.

-As I said, there are two cities that foreigners think of most when America is brought up: Los Angeles and NYC...after this, it drops off big time. Again, overrating SF. Miami is probably just as known worldwide of SF is. Europeans love Miami and Los Angeles.

-And NYC hardly relies on Long Island LOL. What? When the NYC metro GDP is brought up, I'm sure the first thing people think of is Manhattan bringing in the vast majority of it. For SF, San Jose ups it's GDP by a lot. Without San Jose, Houston would be beating SF by a lot. The difference is Houston doesn't rely on cities 50-60 miles away.

-SF is more of a tourist city then a business city IMHO. NYC brings all of that together in a grand and magical way.

-Main point is, stop comparing SF to NYC as a city overall. They don't compare. Now, if you personally like SF better, then that's on you.
-don't think LA is thought of as second after NYC. Within CA, they're regarded as peers and rivals, NoCal centered around SF and SoCal centered around LA. And they're thought of in this regard even tho LA is much much larger in every regard

-I think that's my point; SF (city proper) is so highly regarded despite not having a huge GDP without SJ. Also, it's really the area between SF and SV where a lot of the household tech companies are located (i.e., Palo Alto, Menlo Park, and Mountain View)

-Have you been the financial district of SF? It's a major business city. Tons of finance, law, and consulting firms, and now huge tech companies.

-I personally don't really compare them; I'm commenting on how the mere fact that they're compared all the time says something about SF

Old 03-11-2013, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkup View Post
-don't think LA is thought of as second after NYC. Within CA, they're regarded as peers and rivals, NoCal centered around SF and SoCal centered around LA. And they're thought of in this regard even tho LA is much much larger in every regard

-I think that's my point; SF (city proper) is so highly regarded despite not having a huge GDP without SJ. Also, it's really the area between SF and SV where a lot of the household tech companies are located (i.e., Palo Alto, Menlo Park, and Mountain View)

-Have you been the financial district of SF? It's a major business city. Tons of finance, law, and consulting firms, and now huge tech companies.

-I personally don't really compare them; I'm commenting on how the mere fact that they're compared all the time says something about SF
-They are compare so much because both of the cities have high densities. If I'm correct, SF is the 2nd most dense city in the country, right? It's only natural that CD posters would compare the two so much. In the real world though, SF doesn't hold a candle to NYC.

-And you're delusional if you think SF is thought of first over LA. Very delusional. As I said before, European's LOVE Los Angeles, especially the British. Hollywood is known worldwide. UCLA is one of the most known colleges in the world. LA is the capital of the west coast and NYC is the capital of the east coast.

Old 03-11-2013, 10:50 PM

Quote:
-They are compare so much because both of the cities have high densities. If I'm correct, SF is the 2nd most dense city in the country, right? It's only natural that CD posters would compare the two so much. In the real world though, SF doesn't hold a candle to NYC.

-And you're delusional if you think SF is thought of first over LA. Very delusional. As I said before, European's LOVE Los Angeles, especially the British. Hollywood is known worldwide. UCLA is one of the most known colleges in the world. LA is the capital of the west coast and NYC is the capital of the east coast.
ok dood, LA is the capital of the west...wtf? Your proof is that some ppl in Britain (a small country really) like LA? Tech companies from SF/SV directly hire and employ tens of millions of ppl in India, China, etc to make products that tens of millions of ppl use everyday.

no one in CA even thinks that, especially these days with LA's economy in tatters while SF is booming. Hollywood is famous, but so are many SF/SV tech firms. UCLA is well-known? It's a distant second UC to UC Berkeley. And UC Berkeley isn't even the best university in the Bay Area--that's generally regarded as Stanford. And UCSF is the best med school in California, and probably top 3 in the country.

Old 03-11-2013, 10:59 PM

Quote:
ok dood, LA is the capital of the west...wtf? Your proof is that some ppl in Britain (a small country really) like LA? Tech companies from SF/SV directly hire and employ tens of millions of ppl in India, China, etc to make products that tens of millions of ppl use everyday.

no one in CA even thinks that, especially these days with LA's economy in tatters while SF is booming. Hollywood is famous, but so are many SF/SV tech firms. UCLA is well-known? It's a distant second UC to UC Berkeley. And UC Berkeley isn't even the best university in the Bay Area--that's generally regarded as Stanford. And UCSF is the best med school in California, and probably top 3 in the country.
Sf is booming lol? California period is in shambles. Again, delusional and 'people in Cali'. Well, sorry, people in Cali don't represent the world. LA is more known just for entertainment alone. Constantly see shot of the LA skyline. Everyone knows Hollywood is where many movies were shot. Cool, Apple, Google, and some other big tech firms is located in San Jose. Okay, and? In the real world, people don't care about that. Movies however are a common pastime for many people around the world. Hell, there a place called 'Bollywood' somewhere out in Asia. You have things like the Grammies and Oscars held in LA yearly. You have Disneyland in the suburbs of LA. Universal Studios. Orange County. You're telling me SF is known more worldwide? Funny.

Again, you have to pair up SV with SF in order to boost SF LOL. LA does not have to do that and so doesn't NYC because they are cities that can stand up on their own two feet.

Old 03-11-2013, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Sf is booming lol? California period is in shambles. Again, delusional and 'people in Cali'. Well, sorry, people in Cali don't represent the world. LA is more known just for entertainment alone. Constantly see shot of the LA skyline. Everyone knows Hollywood is where many movies were shot. Cool, Apple, Google, and some other big tech firms is located in San Jose. Okay, and? In the real world, people don't care about that. Movies however are a common pastime for many people around the world. Hell, there a place called 'Bollywood' somewhere out in Asia. You have things like that Grammies and Oscars held in LA yearly. You have Disneyland in the suburbs of LA. Universal Studios. You're telling me SF is known more worldwide? Funny.

Again, you have to pair up SV with SF in order to boost SF LOL. LA does not have to do that and so doesn't NYC because they are cities that can stand up on their own two feet.

Yes, SF and/or SJ and everywhere in NoCal is booming like crazy right now. Look it up. Unemployment is well below the nat'l average and dropping like a rock. The influx of new talented ppl in tech, finance, and law as well as skyrocketing salaries and stock values are raising housing demands to new heights. Also, those tech companies are mostly not in SJ; they're in the SV area in between the two cities. And many startups are now in SF

It's LA that is really hurting right now; they and inner CA are bringing down the state

Old 03-11-2013, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Yes, SF and/or SJ and everywhere in NoCal is booming like crazy right now. Look it up. Unemployment is well below the nat'l average and dropping like a rock. The influx of new talented ppl in tech, finance, and law as well as skyrocketing salaries and stock values are raising housing demands to new heights. Also, those tech companies are mostly not in SJ; they're in the SV area in between the two cities. And many startups are now in SF

It's LA that is really hurting right now; they and inner CA are bringing down the state
Probably because the amount of illegal immigrants. They are slowly diminishing what that city was. Sad. Still, LA has a high status in the world and is not likely to lose that anytime soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City