Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2013, 11:39 PM

37,152 posts, read 39,404,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
And so, while New York has more clout and influence, sure, the Bay Area's clout and influence is hardly miniscule by comparison, not anymore. This is not the 1980s Oy.

This just adds to my point, that beneath the Bay Area's beautiful and carefree veneer is a region that is a driving force in the global economy. The best of all worlds for work and play.
Well, we'll have different ranges for minuscule. What if I said significantly smaller and in an entirely different class? It's not the 80s anymore and NYC has continued to grown while the tier down has diversified and gotten larger with LA more populous but having let go of some of its key industries (or being a smaller player in them) and now DFW, Houston, and DC having joined the set with the Bay Area. Meanwhile, there's been a large adjustment in our relationship to the rest of the world.

What point are you adding to? What beautiful and carefree veneer for Silicon Valley? Or are you talking about SF? You should probably update the stereotypes of the area since it's not the 80s or earlier anymore. You've probably seen the South Park episode. You've probably also come across stereotypes of the rigid and sometimes unthinking progressiveness that gets associated with it as well. And the nightlife is terrible. And the music and art scene in SF is anemic.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 03-09-2013 at 11:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2013, 12:43 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,858,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Well, we'll have different ranges for minuscule. What if I said significantly smaller and in an entirely different class? It's not the 80s anymore and NYC has continued to grown while the tier down has diversified and gotten larger with LA more populous but having let go of some of its key industries (or being a smaller player in them) and now DFW, Houston, and DC having joined the set with the Bay Area. Meanwhile, there's been a large adjustment in our relationship to the rest of the world.

What point are you adding to? What beautiful and carefree veneer for Silicon Valley? Or are you talking about SF? You should probably update the stereotypes of the area since it's not the 80s or earlier anymore. You've probably seen the South Park episode. You've probably also come across stereotypes of the rigid and sometimes unthinking progressiveness that gets associated with it as well. And the nightlife is terrible. And the music and art scene in SF is anemic.
I disagree that the music scene is anemic.

Old 03-10-2013, 01:17 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post

This weird, flailing rant doesnt really disprove my statements.

Contrary to your ignorant statement earlier, the Bay Area's clout and influence in 2013 while not as big as New York, is quite substantial and that is evident by the billions of people who rely daily on platforms of self expression and connectivity that originate from and are globally managed in the Bay Area.

And by the TRILLIONS of dollars investors from around the world have put specifically in the Bay Area because they recognize the potential of our innovations.

Billions of people and trillions of dollars equal immense clout and influence, fyi.

And so, combine that with the other things that contribute to making the Bay Area desirable not only as a place to live and play,.but also be a part of the worldwide capital of the most innovative industry on earth, and.suddenly making the case for the Bay Area becomes quite easy. Wouldnt you agree?

#boss

Old 03-10-2013, 10:32 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,879,610 times
I agree that the clout of technology firms in the Bay Area and more specifically Silicon Valley is truly astounding. Having said that, do the billions around the world touched by this technology really associate it with the Bay Area or just specific companies that happen to be located in the Bay area? Additionally, the clout and wealth is concentrated within a very few companies and individuals. My point is, they are bigger than the area(s) they are located in. These companies and the uber wealthy who run them could relocate to a thousand other places and still function - they don't need the Bay Area. Granted this could be said of any city and its primate sector(s).

Example - Most Apple or Adobe users who turn on their I-phone or read a .pdf file don't think wow thank the heavens for the Bay area!

It is in this general sense that the Bay Area is simply not that connected to its most powerful economic driving force, atleast from a public perception p.o.v. NYC on the other hand doesn't need to rely on its economic clout for its iconic status. It is just truly Iconic. S.F and the B.A are iconic, but not in the same league regardless of tech clout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
This weird, flailing rant doesnt really disprove my statements.

Contrary to your ignorant statement earlier, the Bay Area's clout and influence in 2013 while not as big as New York, is quite substantial and that is evident by the billions of people who rely daily on platforms of self expression and connectivity that originate from and are globally managed in the Bay Area.

And by the TRILLIONS of dollars investors from around the world have put specifically in the Bay Area because they recognize the potential of our innovations.

Billions of people and trillions of dollars equal immense clout and influence, fyi.

And so, combine that with the other things that contribute to making the Bay Area desirable not only as a place to live and play,.but also be a part of the worldwide capital of the most innovative industry on earth, and.suddenly making the case for the Bay Area becomes quite easy. Wouldnt you agree?

#boss

Last edited by fusion2; 03-10-2013 at 10:45 AM..

Old 03-10-2013, 10:50 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,136,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post

Example - Most Apple or Adobe users who turn on their I-phone or read a .pdf file don't think wow thank the heavens for the Bay area! .
I don't know--next time you're Photoshopping something, pick up your Apple mouse and look at the bottom. It reads, "Designed in California."

Old 03-10-2013, 11:04 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,879,610 times
The only Apple product I have is an Iphone 4 (soon to be replaced by a Z10 woohoo) and you`re right it does say Designed by Apple in California - not the Bay Area I might add lol.. What about the others.... right! I`m not attacking the Bay Area for this don`t get me wrong... i`m just making a point and trying to provide perspective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
I don't know--next time you're Photoshopping something, pick up your Apple mouse and look at the bottom. It reads, "Designed in California."

Old 03-10-2013, 11:08 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
Quote:
I agree that the clout of technology firms in the Bay Area and more specifically Silicon Valley is truly astounding. Having said that, do the billions around the world touched by this technology really associate it with the Bay Area or just specific companies that happen to be located in the Bay area? Additionally, the clout and wealth is concentrated within a very few companies and individuals. My point is, they are bigger than the area(s) they are located in. These companies and the uber wealthy who run them could relocate to a thousand other places and still function - they don't need the Bay Area. Granted this could be said of any city and its primate sector(s).

Example - Most Apple or Adobe users who turn on their I-phone or read a .pdf file don't think wow thank the heavens for the Bay area!

It is in this general sense that the Bay Area is simply not that connected to its most powerful economic driving force, atleast from a public perception p.o.v. NYC on the other hand doesn't need to rely on its economic clout for its iconic status. It is just truly Iconic. S.F and the B.A are iconic, but not in the same league regardless of tech clout.
Also, a ton of companies develop elsewhere then move to the Bay Area for their HQ... same with other industries such as publishing/media groups in NYC. They want to be where the action is. Bay Area is definitely tech central, but the Bay Area is also not exactly doing as much as has been stated. I mean Facebook? Yeah... developed in Boston. It got the VC in Palo Alto though. Lots of IT companies have a small office in SV just to have a presence there whether they really need to be or not, but it seems it is easier to grow the company once you network with all those tech geeks and investors.

Quote:
The only Apple product I have is an Iphone 4 (soon to be replaced by a Z10 woohoo) and you`re right it does say Designed by Apple in California - not the Bay Area I might add lol.. What about the others.... right! I`m not attacking the Bay Area for this don`t get me wrong... i`m just making a point and trying to provide perspective.
They used to say something about made in Cupertino.

Quote:
b/c you need an apple to use adobe photoshop...right. Everytime I put on my sony blu ray player, I really think about those people in the factories in Japan.

It's funny you mentioned that though, b/c there is basically no bigger software battle than between Adobe and Apple... hint, they don't like each other.

what was your point exactly?

Windows still has 92% of the global market share. OSX comes in at 6%. Apples best selling products have been it's ipod and iphone lines, not it's computers. Apple barely supports the professional computer market anymore. They got rid of their Xserve lines and haven't updated the mac pro in 3 years nor does it support latest versions of Java, etc. They had a good product in FCP but completely rewrote the software and a lot of the industry left for Avid Media Composer or Adobe Premier. It is still pretty good in media production with ProTools, but as far as design and stuff goes it doesn't have the chokehold, and Adobe products come on Windows first these days.

Last edited by grapico; 03-10-2013 at 11:21 AM..

Old 03-10-2013, 12:23 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,136,325 times
Quote:
The point you seem to miss in earlier saying that the tech companies could move their business anywhere is in the Bay Area's ability to reliably attract the best and brightest minds in the world to a central location to foster an environment that creates things that are simply impossible to create elsewhere. Yes, parts of the business can be sent to other places, but not the truly innovative design parts. Other places can knock off the technology and make it cheaply. But who is inventing it? Who is designing the next thing? The Bay Area.

As for your laughing that your phone says it was designed in California and not the Bay Area, I would suggest that you are too easily amused. Ask yourself instead, why Apple would make a point of stating its design origins in California? It's because Apple knows it makes the most innovative, magical products in the world and is inextricably linked to the Bay Area--just like the hundreds of admired tech companies that have come before it and since. They are leaving a mark that says "this is genuine".

Is anyone other than you confused as to where the tech capital of the world is located and why, try as some may to take business aspects and manufacturing portions of those businesses elsewhere, the thought leadership and visionary creativity remains here?

What do you think of Cisco's logo of the Golden Gate Bridge? I suppose that could be anywhere. Especially with a name like Cisco.

Old 03-10-2013, 01:36 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,926,746 times
Quote:
Honestly, do you think people actually give this a thought? If your car had been designed and manufactured in Detroit, would that be something special to you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City