Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What area looks/feels more Asian?
New York 19 11.52%
California 146 88.48%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 10:45 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,471,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Really, I always though New York's Chinatown was one of the oldest/biggest in America. Compared to other cities NYC has always had a large Asian, particularly Chinese, population. Maybe less so in the boroughs though...when was the community in Queens established?
It is ONE of them; SF's is just older and larger. Manhattan's and SF's are probably the most comparable in appearance too IMO, at least out of the ones I've been to. Flushing's (Queens) reminded me a little bit more of Oakland's, except busier and less Chinese/larger presence of other races and things like halal carts. Not sure exactly when it was established, but it is much newer than SF's. Probably more comparable to SF's second Chinatown on Clement St.

Old 05-20-2011, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Yes, but since NYC makes up a large portion of the population, you can find areas of the city that are up there.
Well true, but you can do the exact same thing to portions of SF, Oakland, San Jose and many other cities in the Bay Area too that will give you similar proportions of Asians, not to mention ALL the different cities around LA and SD that you can do that with, but that requires gerrymandering and is kind of beside the point lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Also, in NY outside of NYC, you can find areas with growing Asian populations. For instance, Syracuse's Northside has been a magnet for refugees/immigrants from SE Asia, as well as South Asian countries like Bhutan and Burma. I believe that Asians makeup 24% of the people in the 2 main zip codes of Syracuse's Northside. Cities like Binghamton and Utica have had noticeable SE Asian communities for a while now. Many Asians in Upstate NY live in affluent or upper middle class suburbs like Vestal, Pittsford, Brighton, Manlius(village), Williamsville, Loudonville, Latham, New Hartford and a few others. So, there has been an increase in other parts of NY too.
That's interesting. I wasn't aware of sizable Asian communities in upstate NY. Its nice to finally learn something on this site again instead of having this devolve into a pissing contest, so thank you. Good info.

Old 05-20-2011, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
For a second I was scared I'd offended, but then I saw the winking face.

Yeah obviously Hawaii is American. On questions like this though they are such a big outlier on "percent Asian" that it almost makes since not to bring them up.
Agreed. Hawaii being number 1 in this category is pretty much a given.

Old 05-21-2011, 12:29 AM

2,684 posts, read 7,379,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bballniket View Post
Do you happen to have the proportional representations of the various Asian nationalities/nationality clusters for the Bay Area, Tri-State Area and Los Angeles MSA or do you just have it for CA and NY?
Unfortunately, the new factfinder site is probably one of the most user-unfriendly tools that the government has ever put out (yes, even worse than the IRS tax calculator...) and I don't have that information off hand right now, at least for the 2010 census for the metro areas.

The 2005-2009 estimates are there for these areas, and here's what it looks like (source: Detailed Tables - American FactFinder

Los Angeles-Long Beach-Riverside, CA CSA (11.6% of the total population)

Total: 2,031,415

Asian Indian: 143,438
Bangladeshi: 4,270
Cambodian: 41,195
Chinese (incl. Taiwanese): 491,802
Filipino: 471,586
Hmong: 3,742
Indonesian: 18,660
Japanese: 156,541
Korean: 297,147
Laotian: 9,958
Malaysian: 1,467
Pakistani: 14,081
Sri Lankan: 6,078
Thai: 30,305
Vietnamese: 274,198
Other Asian: 52,984

New York-Newark-Bridgeport, NY-NJ-CT-PA CSA (8.4% of the total population)

Total: 1,846,474

Asian Indian: 552,547
Bangladeshi: 36,670
Cambodian: 5,229
Chinese (incl. Taiwanese): 630,158
Filipino: 204,359
Hmong: 153
Indonesian: 5,416
Japanese: 49,896
Korean: 197,860
Laotian: 2,228
Malaysian: 2,273
Pakistani: 56,392
Sri Lankan: 5,678
Thai: 8,778
Vietnamese: 42,190
Other Asian: 31,506

San Jose-San Francisco-Oakland CA, CSA (21.5% of the total population)

Total: 1,543,119

Asian Indian: 214,627
Bangladeshi: 1,092
Cambodian: 12,600
Chinese (incl. Taiwanese): 540,131
Filipino: 364,306
Hmong: 2,088
Indonesian: 5,065
Japanese: 75,603
Korean: 70,637
Laotian: 13,348
Malaysian: 615
Pakistani: 9,599
Sri Lankan: 1,395
Thai: 8,847
Vietnamese: 174,085
Other Asian: 39,206

Quote:
NYC's Asian population is similar to Toronto's, in that it's largely South Asian and Chinese (though Toronto's is proportionally about twice to three times as large). Sure there are sizable Filipino and Korean populations as well, but neither NYC nor Toronto has the kaleidoscopic representation of Asian nationalities that you find in Los Angeles and the Bay Area.
I tend to agree. NYC has more of the Chinese and Indian mix that is replicated in the major Canadian cities, while the California metros are more evenly spread. Nowadays, there has been a tremendous growth of the South Asian population, especially in the Bay Area, so it is likely in the future to see a full even mix between East/Southeast/South Asians.

Wow, I didn't expect this thread to be such a blowout. I was sorta expecting some of the NYC boosters to come out in full force and provide some sort of argument. I've made threads like this before, but not one that was so one-sided.

It's funny because I've had plenty of friends from the East Coast who were absolutely surprised that California had such a large Asian population. It freaked them out when we were driving in the Central Valley to see Japanese and Filipino owned farms, with some Hmong farmworkers (not that really is the norm either but it can be found). When I moved to NYC when I was 14, I was shocked myself to find so many Asians out in NYC.

Diversity, ain't it wonderful sometimes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
It is something that's taken for granted here in CA. If you go to a Ranch 99 Market (Asian supermarket chain), odds are you'll see plenty of white and hispanic people buying groceries there, too. The produce is cheaper than Safeway, as are most of the raw ingredients you'd use to make a dinner from scratch. It's (much) easier to find a Chinese place than a burger joint in many parts of the Bay and LA areas, and you can pick up a to-go tray of sushi at any supermarket.
This is so true. I can say the reverse is true: there are also plenty of Asian and White people who shop at Hispanic stores in the LA and Bay Areas, like Vallarta or Superior (SoCal Hispanic chains) or Mi Pueblo (NorCal Hispanic Chain) because spices are more readily available, along with fruits and vegetables being MUCH cheaper. I'll reiterate: sometimes its harder to find American fare food around LA and the Bay than it is to find various ethnic foods.

That's the one issue I remember my mom had in NYC: it was sorta difficult to find a local Asian grocer, never mind the typical Filipino type grocery store (think Seafood City) that seem to be everywhere in California. Since we lived on Staten Island, we had to make trips to New Jersey for a Filipino grocery store, or go to Brooklyn's Chinatown or Manhattan's to buy vegetables and fruits. I'm sure that access will improve as time moves on. Besides, Costco did the job! I'm sure if we lived in Queens, things would have been a LOT different.

Old 05-21-2011, 12:46 AM

929 posts, read 1,901,856 times
Quote:
Unfortunately, the new factfinder site is probably one of the most user-unfriendly tools that the government has ever put out (yes, even worse than the IRS tax calculator...) and I don't have that information off hand right now, at least for the 2010 census for the metro areas.

The 2005-2009 estimates are there for these areas, and here's what it looks like (source: Detailed Tables - American FactFinder

Quote:
NYC's Asian population is similar to Toronto's, in that it's largely South Asian and Chinese (though Toronto's is proportionally about twice to three times as large). Sure there are sizable Filipino and Korean populations as well, but neither NYC nor Toronto has the kaleidoscopic representation of Asian nationalities that you find in Los Angeles and the Bay Area.
I tend to agree. NYC has more of the Chinese and Indian mix that is replicated in the major Canadian cities, while the California metros are more evenly spread. Nowadays, there has been a tremendous growth of the South Asian population, especially in the Bay Area, so it is likely in the future to see a full even mix between East/Southeast/South Asians.

Wow, I didn't expect this thread to be such a blowout. I was sorta expecting some of the NYC boosters to come out in full force and provide some sort of argument. I've made threads like this before, but not one that was so one-sided.

It's funny because I've had plenty of friends from the East Coast who were absolutely surprised that California had such a large Asian population. It freaked them out when we were driving in the Central Valley to see Japanese and Filipino owned farms, with some Hmong farmworkers (not that really is the norm either but it can be found). When I moved to NYC when I was 14, I was shocked myself to find so many Asians out in NYC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k
It is something that's taken for granted here in CA. If you go to a Ranch 99 Market (Asian supermarket chain), odds are you'll see plenty of white and hispanic people buying groceries there, too. The produce is cheaper than Safeway, as are most of the raw ingredients you'd use to make a dinner from scratch. It's (much) easier to find a Chinese place than a burger joint in many parts of the Bay and LA areas, and you can pick up a to-go tray of sushi at any supermarket.

This is so true. I can say the reverse is true: there are also plenty of Asian and White people who shop at Hispanic stores in the LA and Bay Areas, like Vallarta or Superior (SoCal Hispanic chains) or Mi Pueblo (NorCal Hispanic Chain) because spices are more readily available, along with fruits and vegetables being MUCH cheaper. I'll reiterate: sometimes its harder to find American fare food around LA and the Bay than it is to find various ethnic foods.

That's the one issue I remember my mom had in NYC: it was sorta difficult to find a local Asian grocer, never mind the typical Filipino type grocery store (think Seafood City) that seem to be everywhere in California. Since we lived on Staten Island, we had to make trips to New Jersey for a Filipino grocery store, or go to Brooklyn's Chinatown or Manhattan's to buy vegetables and fruits. I'm sure that access will improve as time moves on. Besides, Costco did the job! I'm sure if we lived in Queens, things would have been a LOT different.
Based on the numbers you provided, the Bay Area is 3.0% South Asian and the NYC area is 2.5% South Asian (both rounded to the nearest percentage pt). I think the Bay Area definitely has the most well-balanced Asian population and certainly has by far the most proportional representation in the lower 48. LA and its suburbs may have a larger West Asian population though (Iranians, Azerbaijanis, Armenians, etc.)

Old 05-21-2011, 12:58 AM

929 posts, read 1,901,856 times
Lol someone should make a thread "which of these pairs is the more Asian: Ontario or California, British Columbia or California, Washington or Alberta, Quebec or New Jersey"

These would all be good matches. In reality, Asians are more represented as a percentage of the total population in British Columbia and in Ontario than in California, but the Asian population is much more evenly distributed between metros and outlying areas in California than in the two Canadian Provinces. Outside of GTA and GVRD, Ontario and British Columbia, respectively, don't have that many Asians.

Old 05-21-2011, 01:53 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,923,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post

Did those numbers for LA include Orange County?

Old 05-21-2011, 03:27 AM

6,538 posts, read 12,032,561 times
Definitely California. New York is more European than Asian.

Old 05-21-2011, 03:49 AM

121 posts, read 282,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
i was about to say,

but nj/ny dominate in the s. asian world

its pathetic comparing cali to anything. that state takes up 90% of the entire west coast
That argment about California being so big you can't compare it to New York or the Tri-State area doesn't hold water IN THIS CASE.

The reason I say that is if you took a chunk of the eastern seaboard that was as large as California you would have an even SMALLER percentage of Asians than in New York state.

It goes back to California's geographic and historical position on the Pacific rim. Lifeshadower's census stats show the STATE of Calif. has a MUCH higher % of Asians than any of the east coast states.

Granted, as the original post pointed out, NYC has really been gaining ground.

Old 05-21-2011, 07:18 AM

93,168 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Some other Upstate NY communities(north of NYC) with above average Asian percentages(keep in mind the national percentage is 5%) are: Gang Mills, Johnson City, Schenectady, Syracuse, White Plains, Suffern, Scarsdale, Rye, Nanuet, Mt. Kisco, Dobbs Ferry, New City, West Nyack, Bardonia, Central Nyack and Henrietta. I'm probably forgetting other places in the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City