Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ...........
DC 49 44.95%
ATL 49 44.95%
Tied 11 10.09%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 08:00 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,516,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post

"Ayyyyyyy, it's your boy right here, it's going down tonight at the Warehouse. Only for the Grown and Sexy!!!!! 18 to Chill, 21 to Spilllll!!!!!!!!! LADIES ARE FREE B4 MIDNITE!!!!! You hear me ladies??? Y'ALL ARE FREE B4 MIDNITE!!! Fellas!!! $10 before 11:30, $20 after midnight!!! NO ATHLETIC GEAR!!!! Let me repeat NO ATHLETIC GEAR!!! We got nothing but top shelf liquor....Ciroc, Alizay, Belvedere!!!! It's the OFFICIAL 2011 Alpha-Kappa Step Showdown After Party brought to you by Jermaine Dupri, Frank Ski and ATL Entertainment. We bout to do it REAL BIG and if you can't do it REAL BIG like Manny Fresh then you besta not be in the club!!!!
Any place that has this type of advertisement, I try to stay away from it. Guess I'm getting older.

Old 06-19-2011, 08:03 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,681,849 times

YouTube - ‪Gangstalicious - Homies Over Hoes Uncut/Uncensored‬‏

Old 06-19-2011, 08:40 AM

1,666 posts, read 2,839,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Any place that has this type of advertisement, I try to stay away from it. Guess I'm getting older.

OKAY!!!! I like more trendier spots. But There are those who like that atomosphere and someone has to cater to that market, There money to be made on every scene.

Old 06-19-2011, 09:15 AM

199 posts, read 178,683 times
Black/urban events are going be relatively the same regardless of where you are as long as there is a significant black presence and a descent sized HBCU in the mix with slight variations (go-go vs trap music vs crunk vs whatever). You are going to have thug clubs , upscale buppie places, Grown and sexy with jazz and neonsoul , step shows and everything in-between. There is no point in arguing which has more of what while throwing stereotypes around when it comes to DC and ATL because both have it in significant numbers. You are pissing in the wind debating over who has more of what in this regard to "urban music" entertainment and it's events and neither DC nor Atlanta have monopoly on the ignorant aspects.

You wana talk about who's nightlife is really better and got more to offer branch off of urban/black events. Who has the most EDM shows and events? Who has more hipster bars? What if I want to hear classical? What if I want to hear hardcore punk or metal? What if I want some indie-rock or lo-fi or shoe gaze, or experimental? What if want noise music? Where can I hear some trance or dubstep etc?

Old 06-19-2011, 09:23 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,197,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobgob View Post
Black/urban events are going be relatively the same regardless of where you are as long as there is a significant black presence and a descent sized HBCU in the mix with slight variations (go-go vs trap music vs crunk vs whatever). You are going to have thug clubs , upscale buppie places, Grown and sexy with jazz and neonsoul , step shows and everything in-between. There is no point in arguing which has more of what while throwing stereotypes around when it comes to DC and ATL because both have it in significant numbers. You are pissing in the wind debating over who has more of what in this regard to "urban music" entertainment and it's events and neither DC nor Atlanta have monopoly on the ignorant aspects.

You wana talk about who's nightlife is really better and got more to offer branch off of urban/black events. Who has the most EDM shows and events. Who has more hipster bars. What if I want to hear classical. What if I want to hear hardcore punk or metal? What if I want some indie or lo-fi or shoe gaze, or experimental. What if want noise music? Where can I hear some trance or dubstepr etc.
This.

Any city with a large black population is going to have decent nightlife. It's better to focus on other music scenes because you don't hear much about house/techno/Blues/Jazz/Reggae/Salsa/etc

Old 06-19-2011, 09:36 AM

2,848 posts, read 6,434,754 times
If you're making fun of Atlanta's club scene you picked the wrong Boondocks character. Gangstalicious represents the North East grimey gangsta rapper. He's more likely to be found in a rowdy Go Go club up in D.C. chest bumpin with his homies. (subliminal homoerotic songs and all)

Thugnificiant from "Terra belle, Georgia" on the other hand represents the gangsta rappers of the Dirty South. There's a couple of him in the A but unless you party in places like Bankhead I wouldn't be to worried about him.

YouTube - ‪The boondocks terra-belle Georgia‬‏

Old 06-19-2011, 02:02 PM

316 posts, read 559,860 times
Quote:

You wana talk about who's nightlife is really better and got more to offer branch off of urban/black events. Who has the most EDM shows and events? Who has more hipster bars? What if I want to hear classical? What if I want to hear hardcore punk or metal? What if I want some indie-rock or lo-fi or shoe gaze, or experimental? What if want noise music? Where can I hear some trance or dubstep etc?

Old 06-19-2011, 02:08 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,925,927 times
Quote:

That's me. That's me. Best Coast is an awesome band in particular. I know I can't be the only black guy that listens to that stuff.

Old 06-19-2011, 11:20 PM

57 posts, read 120,382 times
Well, I grew up in Atlanta, moved to Texas after my sophomore year at Ga State and finished up at UT, and now I live in DC. I left atlanta when I was 20, so I didn't get to experience the nightlife to its uttermost...but, at the time Buckhead was thriving. However, little gems like Virginia Highlands and Little Five Points kept things really cool in Atlanta. I spent plenty of nights crawling about in VA Highlands (starting at Moes and Joes, Georges, or Hand In Hand). I always had a lot of fun at those places because they were, yes, pretty yuppie but the college crowed tended to even it out. The little neighborhoods maintained their uniqueness. When I was leaving ATL, East Atlanta (neighbors of Little Five) was flipping from ghetto to yuppieville faster than you could say "lets go to starbucks".

Now, as far as DC is concerned thats where the majority of my "nightlife" experience has hailed. (well...not including Austin. That's another story). DC offers a lot. The main 'hoods are Adams Morgan (A-MO), Dupont, U Street and Georgetown. If you're looking for a straight up stretch of bars and clubs then look no further than Adams Morgan. That place is crazy on Friday and Saturdays. Most places have a cover fee and a dress code. Dupont is a predominately gay neighborhood but have some great non-gay bars. This neighborhood is actually my favorite to go out to. Not TOO crazy, and its easier to get a cab. (It can take half an hour to get a cab if you leave at 3 when the bars close in Adams Morgan). Plus, Dupont has some great bars...and the girls go out there because they figure there are more gay guys which means less guys trying to hump their legs...which means good things if you're a straight, single guy looking to hook up. You just gotta be really smooth because women here in DC don't play around. I had to learn a whole new system. I was used to humble southern girls my whole life.

Georgetown is mainly college central (well, so is Adams Morgan). Avoid this area if you are inclined to hate trust-fund babies and their false view of reality. BEAUTIFUL women however. I don't know how Georgetown recruits these women, but the women at the bars there are gorgeous. Some good bars there though.

All in all, have fun. Both cities offer a lot. Hope I was insightful.

Old 06-20-2011, 07:52 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,681,849 times
Quote:
Black/urban events are going be relatively the same regardless of where you are as long as there is a significant black presence and a descent sized HBCU in the mix with slight variations (go-go vs trap music vs crunk vs whatever).
True, but the difference is that I don't have to see the ignorance in DC if I don't want to. For the most part, buppies hang around U Street and the ghetto folks hang in PG County. In Atlanta, on the other hand, the buppie scene gets muted by all of the surrounding tomfoolery. Atlanta needs something like a Bus Boys & Poets or a Marvin.

Quote:
DC would win simply because it's a larger and more diverse metropolitan area. The Desi scene is definitely bigger here. The Ethiopian scene is larger here as well. And the West Indian scene. And the West African scene. Then there are some really nice salsa/merengue venues in Arlington. I think it offers a lot more variety than Atlanta, which decidedly skews towards the hip hop crowd, imo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City