Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Miami, New York City, Chicago, Los Angeles, or Philadelphia?
New York City 97 36.33%
Los Angeles 67 25.09%
Chicago 84 31.46%
Miami 55 20.60%
Philadelphia 51 19.10%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 267. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 11:53 AM

451 posts, read 695,073 times

Advertisements

Top 3 cities from this list are in no order: NYC, Chicago, Philly.

Id put SF, Boston and Seattle over LA as well, and especially Miami.

LA and Miami dont offer much more than Philly does IMO. Philly is 10x better for actual city living. 4 seasons, city pride, sports, food, cost, geographical proximity, history, economy (4th largest GDP), etc.

Quit selling Philly short. Those that are obviously havent been there, and im from NY.

If not for NYC, Philly would be the premier East Coast city.

Still chuckling over Miami, and LA is not impressive whatsoever. Its not a bias against West Coast cities, cause SF and Seattle clearly do it better. LA is just not impressive in the least bit. Us East Coast folk I guess just view cities different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2012, 12:30 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,853,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS085 View Post
Top 3 cities from this list are in no order: NYC, Chicago, Philly.

Id put SF, Boston and Seattle over LA as well, and especially Miami.

LA and Miami dont offer much more than Philly does IMO. Philly is 10x better for actual city living. 4 seasons, city pride, sports, food, cost, geographical proximity, history, economy (4th largest GDP), etc.

Quit selling Philly short. Those that are obviously havent been there, and im from NY.

If not for NYC, Philly would be the premier East Coast city.

Still chuckling over Miami, and LA is not impressive whatsoever. Its not a bias against West Coast cities, cause SF and Seattle clearly do it better. LA is just not impressive in the least bit. Us East Coast folk I guess just view cities different.
East-coast bias?

No, I'd call it east-coast ignorance.

Old 07-07-2012, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
East-coast bias?

No, I'd call it east-coast ignorance.

Oh, is this the part where you begin to tell me things about LA I already know?

I have family there. Ive seen it. Enough times.

Old 07-07-2012, 12:57 PM

1,909 posts, read 3,782,504 times
Miami is not in the same caste as the other cities on the list.

Old 07-07-2012, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeShoreSoxGo View Post
Miami is not in the same caste as the other cities on the list.

It should be NYC, Chicago, LA, Dallas, Philly if hes doing top 5 urban area.

Miami may be top 10 in size, but not overall city IMO. Atlanta, Boston, Houston, DC, SF and Seattle id put all ahead of it.

Old 07-07-2012, 01:40 PM

1,190 posts, read 2,252,781 times
Miami/New York

Old 08-23-2012, 02:28 PM

725 posts, read 1,211,252 times
Philly.

Old 08-30-2012, 11:03 AM

148 posts, read 238,840 times
Default enough with the bashing

i cant believe there is just soo much ridiculous arguing and unneccessary bashing. although ive never been to philly, im rather certain the cradle of liberty from where the declaration of independence was signed still carries merit in bigger cities like here in chicago, or perhaps internationaly if say someone were asked the same question where was the declaration signed? or what city has the liberty bell? yes not everyone may know or have the correct answer,but thats not the point. The fact still remains philly owns these facts. Not chi, not miami, not nyc, and to the surprise of many, including myself - not D.C. So philadelphians out there you know who you are, coming from chicago i can understand how yous feel bout other's misconception of what your city is... besides that, just like how chicago deep dish can only come from chicago, a philly cheese steak can only come from philly, other detractors be damned lol (others can only talk if they tried it in the city it was created.) jeez ok. now thats done ill move on...

Riding the Chicago Loop - YouTube

i like this vid (its kinda long but cool) because you really get to see and judge chicago on the op criteria despite a limited view. looking at the video closely you can see plenty. at 1:00 to 1:10 you can see a large accordion bus go by, and its one of the new clean air hybrid buses. the city maintains fleets of them to do their part for clean air/eco-green friendly. to the right is the illinois institue of art, just one of many higher-education institutions downtown... pls watch the video, u might see something u like, no not just the cute chick at 4:33 lol

it starts getting cool at 2:00 u start to see downtown street level from above, sidewalk cafe/bistros, and @ 4:05/4:06 is a partial view of the "bean" fluidic metal sculpture at millenuim park... the vid does a good job showing how clean chicago is for a big city metro, and you get to see towards the end how the neighborhoods start after leaving downtown. yes some 2-3 flats are old and some are new. gentrification and neighborhood rehab is an ongoing thing... keep in mind this vid is already 2 years old...

Old 08-30-2012, 04:26 PM

362 posts, read 665,469 times
^^^ wow downtown chi is really massive(just got back from a trip also). It's probably not as big as midtown but it sure is no doubt second in size and second amenities in the us. Heck maybe even in the western hemisphere. However Philly is no slouch. I'd put it third in the us.

Old 11-02-2012, 12:03 PM

932 posts, read 1,944,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.D. Calif View Post
This thread will - hopefully - discuss education, economics, culture (theater, lifestyle, tourism, sports, etc.), skyline prominence, "greeness" (earth friendliness) and internationalism of the five largest urban centers in the United States. I'll start us off with a few statistics and then let the discussion begin!

New York City
Urban pop: 18,223,567
Global city rank: Alpha++

Chicago
Urban pop: 8,711,000
Global city rank: Alpha

Los Angeles
Urban pop: 14,940,000
Global city rank: Alpha-

Miami
Urban pop: 5,547,051
Global city rank: Beta−

Philadelphia
Urban pop: 5,325,000
Global city rank: Gamma
I just want to point out, Philly is an Alpha- World Class city, not Gamma. Miami is Alpha-, not Beta-. LA is Alpha and Chicago is Alpha+. Your post is based on the 2008 rankings, not the (most recent) 2010 rankings.

http://www.lboro.ac.uk/gawc/world2010t.html

And when it comes to greenness, Philadelphia has America's tallest LEED certified building, and the first (only?) off-the-grid green sports stadium (Lincoln Financial Field)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City