Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Miami, New York City, Chicago, Los Angeles, or Philadelphia?
New York City 97 36.33%
Los Angeles 67 25.09%
Chicago 84 31.46%
Miami 55 20.60%
Philadelphia 51 19.10%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 267. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 06:00 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,924,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.D. Calif View Post
I shouldn't have included Philadelphia, it's really not that large and is only a Gamma. Personally I would say that Chicago is the greenest city and arguably the most educated. New York the economic center. Miami does have the largest concentration of international banks in the country. I would also say people in Los Angeles have the better lifestyle.
Exactly. I enjoy reading travel blogs from the world over. Almost every blogger that visits Philly is underwhelmed. I live here and know this. It has a small town parochial feel about it. Most people that live here are "from" here. Europeans, Canadians, and Australians travel bloggers almost always regret spending more than one day here as they claim there is just not that much to see or do. They don't feel it is overly cosmopolitan or has any international flair to it. It doesn't. It could be a much better city, but nothing moves forward due to local politics being so corrupt and the populace having the "well we are not NY so what do you expect" mindset. Shame.

I'm floored it is getting any votes at all considering the competition. Laughable really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2012, 06:09 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,561,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAXTOR View Post
No.

Why?

From personal experience, living in Orange County is enough to sour oneself on the entire West Coast of North America.

Old 11-02-2012, 06:19 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,853,364 times
Quote:
Hatred?

You haven't seen my hatred for Seattle yet though.
No I have seen your hatred for Seattle, that is what I was referring to.

I don't think you hate LA though not sure I agree with your opinion from the last post. Personally there seems to be a great deal of civic pride (CycLAvia, Endeavor impromptu "parade", the parades for that giant boulder that is at LACMA, etc.). Maybe doesn't have as much as much as Boston or NYC (hubris?) but it seems to me the residents care about the city.

I can sort of see what you mean between the suburbs vs. city thing though I think the Valley bashing is getting less and less every year - it is starting to turn into Westside bashing in fact.

Old 11-02-2012, 06:21 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,853,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
from personal experience, living in orange county is enough to sour oneself on the entire west coast of north america.
lol

Old 11-02-2012, 06:22 PM

886 posts, read 1,563,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
From personal experience, living in Orange County is enough to sour oneself on the entire West Coast of North America.
True words. For me, my first 17 years of life I like to think it was a patience and waiting game. As soon as the chance came up, I left California for my greener pastures.

I still love SF though and I dislike Seattle for reasons not associated with orange county.

Old 11-02-2012, 06:28 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,561,445 times
Quote:
True words. For me, my first 17 years of life I like to think it was a patience and waiting game. As soon as the chance came up, I left California for my greener pastures.

I still love SF though and I dislike Seattle for reasons not associated with orange county.
Yep. Growing up is tough enough without feeling trapped in the friggin' burbs and waiting for a ride to the mall. OC has its nice qualities, but, yeah.

Old 11-02-2012, 07:26 PM

886 posts, read 1,563,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
No I have seen your hatred for Seattle, that is what I was referring to.
I've had two bad experiences in my travels. First one was being robbed next to an ATM in Vegas by a guy holding a knife calling me "cracker". I gave him the money and he left me alone. I liked the rest of my stay in Vegas. Second one was in 2010 when I took my wife to Seattle, it was disappointing. The city was nothing we'd expect and the worst of it was when a guy told me "cute green eyes" and went forward trying to touch me in a inappropriate spot. I grabbed his hand, told my wife to go to the hotel and wait there, and I kicked him in his face with my knee and twisted his hand. Then ran because that's the most creeped out I've ever been. Rest of my stay was better but I hated the culture and just about everything about Seattle other than the scenery.
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
I don't think you hate LA though not sure I agree with your opinion from the last post. Personally there seems to be a great deal of civic pride (CycLAvia, Endeavor impromptu "parade", the parades for that giant boulder that is at LACMA, etc.). Maybe doesn't have as much as much as Boston or NYC (hubris?) but it seems to me the residents care about the city.

I can sort of see what you mean between the suburbs vs. city thing though I think the Valley bashing is getting less and less every year - it is starting to turn into Westside bashing in fact.
I haven't seen as many proudly claim LA from my experience there. Like anywhere there are tons that do but LA doesn't feel close to NYC, Chicago, Boston, Philly, or SF on this.

I think LA could use more work.

To answer your question, I don't hate LA.

Last edited by BLAXTOR; 11-02-2012 at 08:14 PM..

Old 01-05-2013, 06:50 PM

996 posts, read 1,896,862 times
I've been to three of the five. NYC (lived/born/raised here), Miami, and Philly. Liked All three.

1. NYC
2. Miami
3. Chicago
4. Los Angeles
5. Philly

Old 01-05-2013, 06:51 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,961,697 times
1. New York
2. Chicago
3. Miami
4. Los Angeles
5. Philadelphia

By my preference. Miami over Chicago in December, January, & February. All other 9 months, Chicago over Miami but otherwise Chicago overall for my second pick but there was some competition for sure.

Old 01-06-2013, 12:10 PM

630 posts, read 994,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valentro View Post
1. New York
2. Chicago
3. Miami
4. Los Angeles
5. Philadelphia

By my preference. Miami over Chicago in December, January, & February. All other 9 months, Chicago over Miami but otherwise Chicago overall for my second pick but there was some competition for sure.
Finally, all you guys are realistic! The only thing I would change is that I'd put LA on top and everything else is just fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City