Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 09:44 PM

2,342 posts, read 3,987,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Wait, you visited DC in August and tried to get a feeling for the city? LOL.....there were probably 100 people left in the city. Didn't anybody tell you not to visit DC in August? Everybody leaves DC the entire month of August. I guess it was a ghost town.
You folks back east just have an excuse lined up for everything, don't you?

I was talking about how Phily's airport only services two continents and someone told me they use NYC's airports 100 miles away. So DC is dead in August, the month I just SO HAPPENED to be in DC, and alive the other 11 months? What's your excuse? Congress wasn't in session? LOL

Just excuses for everything. Excuses! Excuses! Excuses! Excuses! Excuses! Excuses! Excuses! Excuses!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2012, 10:11 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,739,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
You folks back east just have an excuse lined up for everything, don't you?

I was talking about how Phily's airport only services two continents and someone told me they use NYC's airports 100 miles away. So DC is dead in August, the month I just SO HAPPENED to be in DC, and alive the other 11 months? What's your excuse? Congress wasn't in session? LOL

Just excuses for everything. Excuses! Excuses! Excuses! Excuses! Excuses! Excuses! Excuses! Excuses!
Do a little research before you take vacation next time! No city empties like DC in August.!

Locals enjoy August in Washington as town empties out | WashingtonExaminer.com
In D.C., August Means Vacation | Streetsblog Capitol Hill
Enjoy the Empty Roads Now, Because Traffic is About to Get Way Worse Next Week: DCist

Old 09-10-2012, 10:17 PM

k.

So since every DC booster seems to have this different idea of their area. You only look at DC and not MD and VA or WV. Some boosters claim its a metro of 6M and others claim its a metro of 9M.

I guess I can understand how activity was cut down because of a recess, I understand. However that's not an excuse for any metro as large as DC to be that dead. It was almost as dead as downtown Miami and now that's dead!

Sorry to put you on the spot guy but how can a metro of 6M just turn into a ghost town in downtown like that? Doesn't that expose that downtown DC isn't the place to be in DC? Which I know it isn't, I saw more people in Georgetown than I did downtown. I mean do you really expect me to believe that 6M people are fleeing the area or staying inside their homes for an entire month?

All this proves to me is how my feelings about how large DC is was true. It doesn't feel like a place of 9M at all. It feels like a place as large as a DFW, Miami, or Houston no more than that.

I like DC for what it is, I really do and I don't like having to always criticize it but it seems like a place that gets away from having standards.

Old 09-10-2012, 10:22 PM

Quote:
k.

So since every DC booster seems to have this different idea of their area. You only look at DC and not MD and VA or WV. Some boosters claim its a metro of 6M and others claim its a metro of 9M.

I guess I can understand how activity was cut down because of a recess, I understand. However that's not an excuse for any metro as large as DC to be that dead. It was almost as dead as downtown Miami and now that's dead!

Sorry to put you on the spot guy but how can a metro of 6M just turn into a ghost town in downtown like that? Doesn't that expose that downtown DC isn't the place to be in DC? I mean do you really expect me to believe that 6M people are fleeing the area or staying inside their homes for an entire month?

All this proves to me is how my feelings about how large DC is was true. It doesn't feel like a place of 9M at all. It feels like a place as large as a DFW, Miami, or Houston no more than that.

I like DC for what it is, I really do and I don't like having to always criticize it but it seems like a place that gets away from having standards.

How about you try visiting another time. That's the only way you will see what the hype is about. Do you really think the ENTIRE BOARD would rank DC so high if it wasn't one of the best downtown's in the nation? You just picked the wrong time. Do you visit Boston in February to see how the city is? With DC's heat and humidity, summer is not the time to get a feel for the city. Fall and Spring are much better for DC.

You are the only one from any city who would say L.A. has a better downtown than DC which should tell you that maybe you missed something.

Old 09-10-2012, 10:23 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,237,207 times
Quote:
Wait, you visited DC in August and tried to get a feeling for the city? LOL.....there were probably 100 people left in the city. Didn't anybody tell you not to visit DC in August? Everybody leaves DC the entire month of August. I guess it was a ghost town.
My goodness! I've heard it all now! LOL!!!

Old 09-10-2012, 10:28 PM

Quote:
You are the only one from any city who would say L.A. has a better downtown than DC which should tell you that maybe you missed something.
Yes guy, saying downtown LA is better than downtown DC is a position I will defend til the death, off my experience at least until I see DC again in one of its so called "better" months.

I read posts here all the time. I keep things to myself. I can tell whose telling the truth and whose lying by the basic things they say and if you're under the impression this forum is full of well traveled, sophisticates, with a well off education then you're wrong. I can name you street by street intersections, waitress and bartender names, have pictures, flight and hotel confirmations, and I can prove I've been to each and every city I've spoken of. As you know, I don't mind sharing any of that proof on this board either.

For most of the folks on here, I don't see that. It's always the bland answer or the answer that everyone else before them is saying. If you asked someone which city has better seafood restaurants Baltimore or Boston, people will answer "Boston" or "I tried Boston and loved it". They wont say anything like "I was over in South Boston, near the Seaport World Trade Center and there was a restaurant called Tamo's next to the museum above the harbor by the carnival, I enjoyed the shrimp and seasoned fish from the menu but thought it could have been better if the serving sizes were larger and the food was less expensive".

I'm not a fool. I'm a well educated and decent traveled person. I know when someone is lying and when someone is honest. Basically what I'm getting at is that this board is full of it.
Quote:
How about you try visiting another time. That's the only way you will see what the hype is about. Do you really think the ENTIRE BOARD would rank DC so high if it wasn't one of the best downtown's in the nation? You just picked the wrong time. Do you visit Boston in February to see how the city is? With DC's heat and humidity, summer is not the time to get a feel for the city. Fall and Spring are much better for DC.
Bruh, people treat this forum like their lives are merged with the server of this site.

Sorry to disappoint you, I don't. I've traveled enough since becoming a member. A lot of things I've heard have been reached and many have been disappointments. I can see facts from delusion at this point and I know which posters to take seriously now and which cities on this site truly deserve respect and which ones need to be brought on down back to Earth.

I'll give DC another chance. I'll be in Dallas in 2 weeks for business, Miami in another 5 weeks, and doing a pleasure trip to Chicago next weekend. I'll schedule DC in for Thanksgiving and I've already written down all the hype on my iPad notepad.

Impress me DC. More than you already have! I left DC with mostly positive reviews, could use some work though. Of the 5 BosWash cities I saw, it was the middle one for me, 3rd place from both the top and the bottom.

Last edited by scrantiX; 09-10-2012 at 10:49 PM..

Old 09-10-2012, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Yes guy, saying downtown LA is better than downtown DC is a position I will defend til the death off my experience at least until I see DC again in one of its so called "better" months.

I read posts here all the time. I keep things to myself. I can tell whose telling the truth and whose lying by the basic things they say and if you're under the impression this forum is full of well traveled, sophisticates, with a well off education then you're wrong. I can name you street by street intersections, waitress and bartender names, have pictures, flight and hotel confirmations, and I can prove I've been to each and every city I've spoken of. As you know, I don't mind sharing any of that proof on this board either.

For most of the folks on here, I don't see that. It's always the bland answer or the answer that everyone else before them is saying. If you asked someone which city has better seafood restaurants Baltimore or Boston, people will answer "Boston" or "I tried Boston and loved it". They wont say anything like "I was over in South Boston, near the Seaport World Trade Center and there was a restaurant called Tamo's next to the museum above the harbor by the carnival, I enjoyed the shrimp and seasoned fish from the menu but thought it could have been better if the serving sizes were larger and the food was less expensive".

I'm not a fool. I'm a well educated and decent traveled person. I know when someone is lying and when someone is honest. Basically what I'm getting at is that this board is full of it.

Bruh, people treat this forum like their lives are merged with the server of this site.

Sorry to disappoint you, I don't. I've traveled enough since becoming a member. A lot of things I've heard have been reached and many have been disappointments. I can see facts from delusion at this point and I know which posters to take seriously now and which cities on this site truly deserve respect and which ones need to be brought on down back to Earth.

I'll give DC another chance. I'll be in Dallas in 2 weeks for business, Miami in another 5 weeks, and doing a pleasure trip to Chicago next weekend. I'll schedule DC in for Thanksgiving and I've already written down all the hype on my iPad notepad.

Impress me DC. More than you already have! I left DC with mostly positive reviews, could use some work though. Of the 5 BosWash cities I saw, it was the middle one for me, 3rd place from both the top and the bottom.
Well, DC is not the city to visit in August. You should have asked a local when you were here. They could have told you that. Everyone goes to the beach. It's just the way it is. Do you really think the New York Times would write an article about it if it wasn't so?

When to Go to Washington, D.C. - Washington, D.C. Travel Guide - New York Times Travel

Summer: Anyone who's ever spent July and August in D.C. will tell you how hot and steamy it can be. Though the buildings are air-conditioned, many of Washington's attractions, like the memorials, monuments, and organized tours, are outdoors and unshaded, and the heat can quickly get to you. Make sure you stop frequently for drinks (vendors are plentiful), and wear a hat, sunglasses, and sunscreen. But if you can deal with all that, this is a good time to visit. Locals often go elsewhere on vacation, so the roads and attractions are somewhat less crowded. Best of all, hotels tend to offer their best rates in July and August.

Old 09-10-2012, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Well, DC is not the city to visit in August.
Good to know now.
Quote:
You should have asked a local when you were here.
Yeah I should have asked before going there. Ah wait, I did! I got 2 measly replies on the inhospitable DC forum.
//www.city-data.com/forum/washi...nights-dc.html
Quote:
They could have told you that.
Apparently no one felt the need to bring it up.
Quote:
Everyone goes to the beach.
I doubt everyone from a 6M or 9M metro is going to the beach, really. For the population of the DC area to be that large, Georgetown and downtown should never be that empty. Even in a "bad" month.
Quote:
Do you really think the New York Times would write an article about it if it wasn't so?
I don't read New York Times every single day of my life. Here and there. I'm more concerned with California than anywhere else.

Old 09-10-2012, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Good to know now.

Yeah I should have asked before going there. Ah wait, I did! I got 2 measly replies on the inhospitable DC forum.
//www.city-data.com/forum/washi...nights-dc.html

Apparently no one felt the need to bring it up.

I doubt everyone from a 6M or 9M metro is going to the beach, really. For the population of the DC area to be that large, Georgetown and downtown should never be that empty. Even on a "bad" month.

I don't read New York Times every single day of my life. Here and there. I'm more concerned with California than anywhere else.
DC is not a downtown metro area. Yeah, people still come downtown but most people in Maryland and Virginia go to the many suburban downtowns outside the district. Did you visit anything outside the district? The best shopping is in Tyson's Corner. DC proper is going to springboard when City Center is done but right now, there isn't much. There are so many town centers in the DC area many suburbanites never venture into the city. DC is still trying to shake its image too which is a work in progress.

Old 09-10-2012, 11:01 PM

Quote:
DC is not a downtown metro area. Yeah, people still come downtown but most people in Maryland and Virginia go to the many suburban downtowns outside the district. Did you visit anything outside the district? The best shopping is in Tyson's Corner. DC is going to springboard when Citt Cente is done but right now, there isn't much. There are so many town centers in the DC area many suburbanites never venture into the city. DC is still trying to shake its image too which is a work in progress.
Yeah saw NoVA and quite liked the area. Great combo of suburbs and edge cities. Was pleasantly surprised by Arlington. Saw Rosslyn, North Ridge, Alexandria and at one point made it as far out as Falls Church. On the Maryland side I saw even more, for one everything between DC and Baltimore off two different routes. Saw Bethesda, Rockville, Langley Park, Silver Spring, and wanted to see DC's famed exlcusive suburb Chevy Chase. Some of those areas were ok but others were pretty great.

In more than one way DC reminded me of a less dense and more patchy version of the bay, the suburbs have their pressure points and are active just like the suburbs in the bay. Also enjoyed Metro, great system really. Enjoyed how green the DC area is and also the houses in the DC area were beautiful but compared to the bay they definitely left you with more "elbow room".

Nice area.

Last edited by scrantiX; 09-10-2012 at 11:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City