Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 01:28 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,108,592 times

Advertisements

I kinda like Golden State, if just for the fact that it is unique across the 4 main American pro leagues. I would like a return to SF Warriors more though
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2015, 01:40 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,956,393 times
LOL.

In 2007 the 42-40 Golden State Warriors upset the 67-15 Dallas Mavericks in the first round. Dirk threw something at the wall and it left a hole.

Warriors management wants to take that with them when they move to the new arena in San Francisco as a piece of Warriors history.
Quote:
As Nowitzki knows better then anyone, it has become a display piece, prized real estate in an area off-limits to most eyes nearly eight years after Golden State cemented a beloved place in franchise history despite going 42-40 in the regular season and 5-6 in the playoffs. Coach Don Nelson beat his former team, Baron Davis, Monta Ellis and Stephen Jackson physically and emotionally overwhelmed a heavily favored opponent in the first round, and Oracle was a boiling pot of noise. The 'We Believe' Warriors became forever in the Bay Area.

Literally a display. The gash, five inches tall and six inches wide at the extremes, smaller in some parts of the jagged opening, is covered by plexiglass 20 inches tall and 19 inches wide. A gold "We Believe" T-shirt, still familiar at home games, is just above the hole, held up by thumb tacks at the top of the collar, the corners of the short sleeves and the squared-off bottom on each side. Nowitzki's signature in black ink is immediately below the hole.

Also, the Warriors have no idea where it would go in the new arena being planned for 18,000 seats on 3.2 acres with a park bumping against Mission Bay. In a display case along one of the concourses is one possibility. A team Hall of Fame, if they have one, is another. The only plan so far is to inquire about taking a small chunk of Oracle with them and to put it in a high-traffic area for all to enjoy in the San Francisco facility, unlike the current location few fans get to see.

"I think it would be wonderful," Warriors president Rick Welts said. "A couple issues. We don't own the building. (The hole) doesn't happen to belong to us. We'd have to get some others to agree to it. But I think it would be an effort well worth undertaking. It represents one of the most special moments in the 69-year history of this franchise and it would be a wonderful thing to be able to preserve."

As part of the project, and in one of the unique signs of respect in NBA history, the team plans to ask Nowitzki to sign off. The Warriors want to make sure how they decorate an arena in San Francisco meets the approval of an opponent who lives half a country away, is from half a world away and doesn't figure to log much time in a facility that has yet to break ground.

To Golden State officials, Nowitzki has already gone above and beyond the call of being understanding. He climbed a ladder to sign the spot with the best of attitudes, after all -- "Happy," Tom Harman, the stagehand who asked him to autograph the scene of the crime, said of Dirk's attitude when approached. "He was real cool." The reminder of the low point of Nowitzki's basketball life is in his face every time the Mavericks come back. The Warriors don't want it to seem they are trying to show him up.

Dirk got his ring and his redemption. The Warriors can plant the hole into midcourt in the new arena and cover it with glass for all he cares.

"That's pretty special," he said when told of Golden State's interest. "The funny thing is that it's a special moment in both of our careers. In theirs, to upset the No. 1 seed. In mine, to lose my MVP season in the first round was probably as frustrating as it gets, but I think ultimately it helped me be the closer I needed to be in 2011 to win the championship because I learned from the mistakes I made. I think it's a big part of both team's history. I'm honored that they want to move that thing."

So, permission granted.

Warriors, Nowitzki forever linked by hole in the wall | NBA.com
ROFLOL.

Hopefully Stephen Curry and Klay Thompson can win a title together before they move to San Francisco in 2018. It would be cool to see a title at Oracle Arena before it is decommissioned.

Old 03-30-2015, 07:10 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,175,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
You're killing me with this biodiversity nonsense. What's next? Florida better rest stops?
People have different interests. Ditto, what you wrote is killing me because it shows insensitivity towards the environment. No wonder CA is so polluted(especially Southern CA).

Old 03-30-2015, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetLegal View Post
California destroys Florida in nearly every category...and I say that as someone who likes Florida quite a bit.

Warm ocean water and a lower cost of living are the only two +'s in the Florida column.
Yes, CA destroys FL in every category if someone is 16 yrs old and writing on CD.

FL has lower COL/no personal income tax, warmer weather on avg, is less polluted, has better credit rating (never at the brink of bankruptcy, actually some CA municipalities have defaulted), less superficial/fake, more tourism/better theme parks, more iconic when it comes to the space program, less unemployment(FL 5.6% vs CA 6.7% 2015), fewer homeless, less poverty( FL 11.1% vs CA 13.2% - wiki), etc..etc.. there's more examples out there.. I wouldn't exactly say "CA destroys FL in every category".

Old 03-30-2015, 10:32 AM

1,780 posts, read 1,760,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger-f View Post
Yes, CA destroys FL in every category if someone is 16 yrs old and writing on CD.

FL has lower COL/no personal income tax, warmer weather on avg, is less polluted, has better credit rating (never at the brink of bankruptcy, actually some CA municipalities have defaulted), less superficial/fake, more tourism/better theme parks, more iconic when it comes to the space program, less unemployment(FL 5.6% vs CA 6.7% 2015), fewer homeless, less poverty( FL 11.1% vs CA 13.2% - wiki), etc..etc.. there's more examples out there.. I wouldn't exactly say "CA destroys FL in every category".
Immensely better/more diversified job market which is now adding jobs at a much faster pace than Florida, more ethnic diversity, two large world class cities, more national parks, more educated workforce...the list goes on. The space program is subjective because of all the research and manufacturing that went into the program from facilities in SoCal. Theme parks are also very subjective. I won't even mention the amount of top universities in California, because there really is no comparison there. The desirable tax structure in Florida is only hurting it in the long run as the state cannot keep up with the budget with such low revenues.

http://www.fcfep.org/attachments/How...le%20Class.pdf

Your list of half opinions/half misinformed rabble don't really add up.

Old 03-30-2015, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeOrange View Post
Immensely better/more diversified job market which is now adding jobs at a much faster pace than Florida, more ethnic diversity, two large world class cities, more national parks, more educated workforce...the list goes on. The space program is subjective because of all the research and manufacturing that went into the program from facilities in SoCal. Theme parks are also very subjective. I won't even mention the amount of top universities in California, because there really is no comparison there. The desirable tax structure in Florida is only hurting it in the long run as the state cannot keep up with the budget with such low revenues.

http://www.fcfep.org/attachments/How...le%20Class.pdf

Your list of half opinions/half misinformed rabble don't really add up.
Yes, everything is subjective including the space program. Perhaps you need to tour KSC, see how it compares to Vandenberg. And besides the shuttle orbiter (which personally I was a fan of), no other major component was built in CA (Saturn V was built in Huntsville, AL for example). Many of the ISS modules were built/assembled in FL and the Boeing CT-100 crew capsule is to be built at the Cape.

Btw, how exactly do 13,500 criminals hurt CA as opposed to the tax structure in FL?

California Releasing Thousands Of Inmates Early To Relieve Overcrowded Jails « CBS San Francisco

Also, world class everything but the educated population did not stop 3 major multiplicities (more than any state) from bankruptcy. Do you see any in FL? And look who you elected for governor. What does that say for the people of CA? Educated? I'm not sure..

Bankrupt Cities, Municipalities List and Map

Maybe you need to get off the high horse a bit?

Old 03-30-2015, 11:45 AM

1,780 posts, read 1,760,034 times
Quote:
Yes, everything is subjective including the space program. Perhaps you need to tour KSC, see how it compares to Vandenberg. And besides the shuttle orbiter (which personally I was a fan of), no other major component was built in CA (Saturn V was built in Huntsville, AL for example). Many of the ISS modules were built/assembled in FL and the Boeing CT-100 crew capsule is to be built at the Cape.

Btw, how exactly do 13,500 criminals hurt CA as opposed to the tax structure in FL?

California Releasing Thousands Of Inmates Early To Relieve Overcrowded Jails « CBS San Francisco

Also, world class everything but the educated population did not stop 3 major multiplicities (more than any state) from bankruptcy. Do you see any in FL? And look who you elected for governor. What does that say for the people of CA? Educated? I'm not sure..

Bankrupt Cities, Municipalities List and Map

Maybe you need to get off the high horse a bit?
Oh you speak of prop 47? I voted yes on that. That's for another discussion.

I'm not on any sort of high horse. I was just countering your argument with a better one.

Old 03-30-2015, 01:07 PM

Ok.

3 major multiplicities <-- that meant to read 'municipalities'.

Old 03-30-2015, 11:31 PM

1,235 posts, read 1,768,848 times
Quote:

1. COL/no personal income tax: Flip side of the same coin and I already conceded this in the post of mine you quoted.

2. Warmer weather on average: Very silly to even try to play the weather card when comparing California to Florida since California has multiple climates in one state suiting a wide variety of tastes. As for human comfort and living day-to-day, the vast majority of people prefer So.Calif.'s coastal climate to the hellish humidity of Florida. No contest here, even a 16 year old can figure that out.

3. Better theme parks? I could care less about theme parks but note that Florida copies everything California does (Disney, etc.). More substantive question is who has the greater number, more scenic and overall better National Parks? California destroys Florida and it's not even a contest.

4. More tourism? Nope. California has more than Florida. Thankfully, our economy does not rely on tourism like your Mickey Mouse economy does.
Top 10 Most Visited States of the United States by foreign travelers

5. Unemployment rate? A single snapshot in time does not tell the real story. California is a global center of economic innovation (Silicon Valley, Bio-Tech, etc.). Florida is a low wage tourist economy. Good for retirees and not much else. In GDP per capita California ($46,000) is above the national average and Florida ($34,000) is well below the national average.
List of U.S. states by GDP per capita - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

6. Higher Education: Five California universities in the Top 25, Zero in Florida.
http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandre...l-universities

Last edited by StreetLegal; 03-31-2015 at 12:54 AM..

Old 03-31-2015, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetLegal View Post
1. COL/no personal income tax: Flip side of the same coin and I already conceded this in the post of mine you quoted.

2. Warmer weather on average: Very silly to even try to play the weather card when comparing California to Florida since California has multiple climates in one state suiting a wide variety of tastes. As for human comfort and living day-to-day, the vast majority of people prefer So.Calif.'s coastal climate to the hellish humidity of Florida. No contest here, even a 16 year old can figure that out.

3. Better theme parks? I could care less about theme parks but note that Florida copies everything California does (Disney, etc.). More substantive question is who has the greater number, more scenic and overall better National Parks? California destroys Florida and it's not even a contest.

4. More tourism? Nope. California has more than Florida. Thankfully, our economy does not rely on tourism like your Mickey Mouse economy does.
Top 10 Most Visited States of the United States by foreign travelers

5. Unemployment rate? A single snapshot in time does not tell the real story. California is a global center of economic innovation (Silicon Valley, Bio-Tech, etc.). Florida is a low wage tourist economy. Good for retirees and not much else. In GDP per capita California ($46,000) is above the national average and Florida ($34,000) is well below the national average.
List of U.S. states by GDP per capita - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

6. Higher Education: Five California universities in the Top 25, Zero in Florida.
National University Rankings | Top National Universities | US News Best Colleges
You had snow in LA this past winter and you claim the weather is better? Hmm.. you're in a severe drought, actually your gov probably wishes for more humidity to prevent all those fires every year.

You keep mumbling the same misinformation endemic to CD from people who don't even live or have never been to FL (yet alone have any real knowledge on the subject). The state's #1 industry is not tourism and FL does not solely rely on that. Tourism is the 4th largest employment sector/industry; get your facts straight. Tourism is probably a draw, no biggie, but ORL receives the most tourists.

Florida Economy at a Glance

http://www.enterpriseflorida.com/wp-...ce-florida.pdf

#1 state for aviation manufacturing attractiveness. 2000+aerospace/aviation companies. Yes indeed FL is only for retirees (when the pigs learn to fly, it will be).

Actually, your COL destroys the $46K per capita easily and offsets getting supposedly better education. People move out of CA. "The trend can be explained, in part, in monetary terms. Even in an economic boom, the cost of living in California has increased, prompting people to move out, and, in recent years, unemployment in the state has skyrocketed."

Btw, who the heck retires in CA nowadays? Most of you go to AZ.

California's Population Is Moving Out, Census Report Shows | NBC Southern California
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City