Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 10:24 PM

1 posts, read 2,368 times

Advertisements

I'm from Florida the Cocoa beach area to be more exact. I also lived in San Diego while stationed in the Marine Corps. I lived in Maui for 6 months after retiring. Florida will always be my home. I know it well and from Jacksonville to Pensacola, and Orlando to Tampa I have seen almost all of the sunshine state. I can appreciate the differences between the dry heat of the Mojave and the sweat lodge that is sub tropical Florida. If you like you seasons I would say north Florida. I'm not a huge fan of Jacksonville, but keep in mind you can visit other parts of Florida once you get here. Here is a few pros and cons of the two options on the table. Florida is humid as discussed earlier, and with that humidity comes lots of sweat. The sun for some reason cooks you more in Florida. That is not a fact ever one is different that is my experience. Jackson I'll is about three hours from Orlando and the Space Coast. Tampa is about 5-6 hours depending on the route. The Ocala national forrest is an hour and a half. Ocala has crystal clear springs that remain 65 degrees year round. The Atlantic is calmer and warmer than the Pacific, so if your not a swimmer I would say Florida all the way. You cannot trust fresh water in Florida. In every fresh water source there is a huge threat called the American Alligator. That does not mean do not have fun just beware. While we are on the subject of Florida wildlife we have to talk about our sharks. Florida is shark attack capital of the world mostly around Daytona. However, most Florida sharks are not big enough to swallow versus California's great whites. We do have the bull shark which is very capable of killing a grown adult. They grow about 9ft in length and are very powerful. Do not let that scare you shark attacks are very rare, and do not often lead to facilities. Look up the statistics they are in your favor. Every single major city in Florida has its own flare. Pensacola is like a mini New Orleans, and has gorgeous clear emerald water all the way to Panama. Jacksonville is very historic and has St. Augustine. Orlando has a million different things to do theme parks out the eyes. Tampa is a great area having the famous Clearwater beach close by. Miami has probably some of the most diverse and gorgeous women on the planet. Brush up on your Spanish though it might come in handy down south. The keys are like a mini Bahamas with snorkeling and diving at some gorgeous reefs. California is gorgeous as well, and has just as much to see. What I likes most about San Diego was the weather. There always seemed to be a pleasant breeze. The Pacific oceans is very cold which is a lot different to Florida. The traffic is a lot worse in my opinion, and so is the pollution. To retouch on the subject even though not a huge risk the sharks are a lot bigger. Great Whites average between 15- 18 feet long sometimes growing past 20 feet. That's alot bigger than Florida's bulls or tigers. There have been lots of fatal attacks on humans. California has some very pretty women as well. It is California plenty of pretty failed actresses to chose from. The economy of California is I the toilet, but Florida even though bouncing back in recent years is not much better. A lot of tree hugging left over hippies in California. I don't mind a little bit of a liberal environment, but damn Cali takes it to a whole new level. Florida is a little more balanced in the politic department. I don't know if you like seafood but I always prefered Florida seafood over California. Florida has better eating fish like snook, and grouper. Well I hope I wasn't too biased and gave an okay look at both. Growing up in Florida has left me craving for a new climate. One of the nicest cities I have been to was Seattle. Rock music is still very much alive in Seattle. I did my training in 29 palms and the desert does get cold at night. Vegas is only a few hours away from So Cal too. Hope this helped your choosing you can't go wrong either way. I think being from the was coast though you should probably stick with the people you know. That would definitely be the sunshine state. Good Luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2015, 07:38 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,175,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coltsullivan45 View Post
I'm from Florida the Cocoa beach area to be more exact. I also lived in San Diego while stationed in the Marine Corps. I lived in Maui for 6 months after retiring. Florida will always be my home. I know it well and from Jacksonville to Pensacola, and Orlando to Tampa I have seen almost all of the sunshine state. I can appreciate the differences between the dry heat of the Mojave and the sweat lodge that is sub tropical Florida. If you like you seasons I would say north Florida. I'm not a huge fan of Jacksonville, but keep in mind you can visit other parts of Florida once you get here. Here is a few pros and cons of the two options on the table. Florida is humid as discussed earlier, and with that humidity comes lots of sweat. The sun for some reason cooks you more in Florida. That is not a fact ever one is different that is my experience. Jackson I'll is about three hours from Orlando and the Space Coast. Tampa is about 5-6 hours depending on the route. The Ocala national forrest is an hour and a half. Ocala has crystal clear springs that remain 65 degrees year round. The Atlantic is calmer and warmer than the Pacific, so if your not a swimmer I would say Florida all the way. You cannot trust fresh water in Florida. In every fresh water source there is a huge threat called the American Alligator. That does not mean do not have fun just beware. While we are on the subject of Florida wildlife we have to talk about our sharks. Florida is shark attack capital of the world mostly around Daytona. However, most Florida sharks are not big enough to swallow versus California's great whites. We do have the bull shark which is very capable of killing a grown adult. They grow about 9ft in length and are very powerful. Do not let that scare you shark attacks are very rare, and do not often lead to facilities. Look up the statistics they are in your favor. Every single major city in Florida has its own flare. Pensacola is like a mini New Orleans, and has gorgeous clear emerald water all the way to Panama. Jacksonville is very historic and has St. Augustine. Orlando has a million different things to do theme parks out the eyes. Tampa is a great area having the famous Clearwater beach close by. Miami has probably some of the most diverse and gorgeous women on the planet. Brush up on your Spanish though it might come in handy down south. The keys are like a mini Bahamas with snorkeling and diving at some gorgeous reefs. California is gorgeous as well, and has just as much to see. What I likes most about San Diego was the weather. There always seemed to be a pleasant breeze. The Pacific oceans is very cold which is a lot different to Florida. The traffic is a lot worse in my opinion, and so is the pollution. To retouch on the subject even though not a huge risk the sharks are a lot bigger. Great Whites average between 15- 18 feet long sometimes growing past 20 feet. That's alot bigger than Florida's bulls or tigers. There have been lots of fatal attacks on humans. California has some very pretty women as well. It is California plenty of pretty failed actresses to chose from. The economy of California is I the toilet, but Florida even though bouncing back in recent years is not much better. A lot of tree hugging left over hippies in California. I don't mind a little bit of a liberal environment, but damn Cali takes it to a whole new level. Florida is a little more balanced in the politic department. I don't know if you like seafood but I always prefered Florida seafood over California. Florida has better eating fish like snook, and grouper. Well I hope I wasn't too biased and gave an okay look at both. Growing up in Florida has left me craving for a new climate. One of the nicest cities I have been to was Seattle. Rock music is still very much alive in Seattle. I did my training in 29 palms and the desert does get cold at night. Vegas is only a few hours away from So Cal too. Hope this helped your choosing you can't go wrong either way. I think being from the was coast though you should probably stick with the people you know. That would definitely be the sunshine state. Good Luck!
Now, you pretty much spoiled their bubble here because you painted FL slightly better than CA. What sticks out of the above is "The economy of California is in the toilet", which is pretty much the opposite of what these Califronians point out here.

Old 04-07-2015, 11:32 AM

1,461 posts, read 2,109,523 times
You don't even need to be from California to know that is ridiculous though.

Old 04-07-2015, 05:24 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,760,489 times
Wow! One person agrees with me so they must be correct!

Old 04-09-2015, 02:08 AM

1,235 posts, read 1,769,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coltsullivan45 View Post
Please hit the return/enter key next time so we aren't staring at a wall of text....

...ok, well, now we are comparing the two states on the types of sharks that inhabit the respective oceans in each state. Now we are talking.

Old 04-09-2015, 11:22 AM

1,227 posts, read 1,593,284 times
Here's how I ended up in California personally:

When I was 12 I had my first sexual experience. At the time, I lived in a little suburb outside of Cleveland and anyway, the girl next door and I were really good friends. Our parents were both gone for the day and she was over playing Transformers with me. So anyway, we kinda got.. Bored I guess? And we started playing truth or dare, which turned into ‘you show me yours, I’ll show you mine". So anyway there I Was, 12 years old, heart pounding, blood rushing in my ears, and the chick (who was a year older than me actually) takes off her panties and hikes her little skirt up. so What did I do, you ask? I whistled for a cab, and when it came near, the license plate said “fresh” and there were dice in the mirror. If anything I could say that this cab was rare, but I thought “naw forget it, yo home to bel-air!” I pulled up to the house about seven or eight and I yelled to the cabbie “yo homes smell ya later!” Looked at my kingdom, I was finally there. To settle my throne as the prince of bel-air.

Old 04-09-2015, 02:00 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,109,523 times
lol

Anyways, I must have skipped past the always important shark attack portion of that wall of text lol. Are we really debating something that affects like less than 10 people per year (deaths)? Worldwide..

Old 04-11-2015, 11:53 AM

22 posts, read 26,417 times
here's the warmest places in the United States, 1:Hawaii,2:South Florida,3:South California,4:Arizona,5:North California,6:North florida

Old 04-23-2015, 06:25 PM

1 posts, read 1,607 times
I live in California, La county to be exact...its fricking expensive. Don't let our large population fool you into thinking the job market is easy, because its not. I have lived here my whole life. We make over 75k a year and struggle to make ends meet with 2 school age kids. I own a house and my mortgage is 2200k a month!! I am seriously considering moving to Florida. The houses are 1/4 the price of mine! Our weather isn't "awesome" by any means! In the summer its around 115 and I live in the city, not the desert!! The beach is always cold or windy. It has to be over 90degress at my house for the beach to even be 80. Even the water is still cold! (and yes in San Diego too, visited there over 40 times now). Been to the snow 2 times ever and I'm 33years old. Food and gas is crazy! Gas is almost $5 per gallon, I meal plan, coupon, sale watch, and our groceries cost over 1200 a month for a family of 4! My house taxes are around 5k per year, health insurance is 1k per month (and let me tell you this is a low policy!) my husband was laid off for a year and then found a new job which paid $10 less per hour for the next year and a half. 6 months ago he got back up to what he was making before, but now has an hour commute. He is a graphic artist, web designer, and photographer. He has a collage degree (which we are still paying for) and that seems to never be enough over here. Let me tell you that crime and corruption is everywhere. Our school district just went 4million in debt and one of our teachers are the elementary school was just suspended for molestation. I don't live in the ghetto, not Beverly hills but the average price of a house on our street is 700k (we bought 8 years ago and have one of the smallest models available, therefore cheaper at 489k). Florida really sounds nice about not, I am not sure about the humidity and all of the bugs!!!

Old 04-23-2015, 09:17 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,760,489 times
Lol. 115? In the city, huh?

You sound extremely dramatic, and not just about the weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City