Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which has a better Downtown
Philadelphia 192 62.34%
Seattle 116 37.66%
Voters: 308. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 05:00 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,892,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
Wow..I have NEVER until this day seen...Seattle Bashers? I mean, come on...why is Seattle being downplayed to the point where its being compared to Charlotte??

I would agree that Seattle is city usually hyped. While I do like Seattle I am often surprised how resoundingly it is praised and its warts are practically dismissed. I also find its DT (been traveling to Seattle since the mid 90s) is also overstated, people make it out to be far larger and active then it is, while there is times of very good vibrancy Seattle to me has far more dead spots and dead times than do the top DTs in the US. I think it has a lot to do with the average demographic on CD, esp CvC being very young. Seattle and Austin are two cities that surprisingly to me recieve a majority of seemingly blind praise. Both seem very over hyped on here. Last week I read someone say that Austin was a top 10 DT in the US, maybe to a sophmore...

Philly is a city bashed and hyped more regularly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2011, 05:02 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,498,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I would agree that Seattle is city usually hyped. While I do like Seattle I am often surprised how resoundingly it is praised and its warts are practically dismissed. I also find its DT (been traveling to Seattle since the mid 90s) is also overstated, people make it out to be far larger and active then it is, while there is times of very good vibrancy Seattle to me has far more dead spots and dead times than do the top DTs in the US. I think it has a lot to do with the average demographic on CD, esp CvC being very young. Seattle and Austin are two cities that surprisingly to me recieve a majority of seemingly blind praise. Both seem very over hyped on here. Last week I read someone say that Austin was a top 10 DT in the US, maybe to a sophmore...

Philly is a city bashed and hyped more regularly
Seattle Portland and Austin are all super popular with young people fresh out of college, and hence makes them overrated. They are all cool cities but definitely overstated.

Old 11-15-2011, 05:03 PM

Location: NY-NJ-Philly looks down at SF and laughs at the hippies
1,144 posts, read 1,295,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
Wow..I have NEVER until this day seen...Seattle Bashers? I mean, come on...why is Seattle being downplayed to the point where its being compared to Charlotte??
Why? Philly is roughly two tiers above Seattle for importance. Seattle is roughly two above CHarlotte for importance. Guess what.....now Seattle natives no how it feels to be compared to a city two tiers below them. They don't like it too much, do they?

Old 11-15-2011, 05:04 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,515,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Who knows. Why was Philadelphia being downplayed on the level of Seattle? Also that is not what I did, but I'll play along...

Here is the truth, and it will certainly get some peoples panties in a bunch...but here it goes.

Seattle is probably the most overrated city on this board, definitely top 5. While Philadelphia is one of the most underrated, for whatever reason. Seattle is so far away from everything and probably the city which has the less people on the board who have been to it, so the homers can boast and make silly comparisons all the time with not many people to argue with them. This is of course brought to the spotlight when they build up enough delusions to make a thread like Seattle vs Lower Manhattan, which spawned this very thread.

Didn't you make that thread Mezter? Oh yeah you did...
It's not people from Seattle though who are starting thread comparisons like Seattle vs. Philadelphia or Seattle vs. Lower Manhattan...

Just about every city on here is either vastly overrated or vastly underrated depending on who you ask on here... Philadelphia is underrated on here? At this point every day there's about ten different threads dominated by non-stop posts about how great Philly is... Philadelphia was underrated in real life about ten years ago--though it seems like it gets plenty of recognition(justifiably so) at this point. Good for them...

Old 11-15-2011, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
It's not people from Seattle though who are starting thread comparisons like Seattle vs. Philadelphia or Seattle vs. Lower Manhattan...

Just about every city on here is either vastly overrated or vastly underrated depending on who you ask on here... Philadelphia is really underrated on here? At this point every day there's about ten different threads dominated by non-stop posts about how great Philly is... Philadelphia was underrated in real life about ten years ago--though it seems like it gets plenty of recognition(justifiably so) at this point. Good for them...
Those are only by natives. Then come in another 10 west coasters trashing philly.

Old 11-15-2011, 05:08 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,498,822 times
Quote:

Just about every city on here is either vastly overrated or vastly underrated depending on who you ask on here... Philadelphia is underrated on here? At this point every day there's about ten different threads dominated by non-stop posts about how great Philly is... Philadelphia was underrated in real life about ten years ago--though it seems like it gets plenty of recognition(justifiably so) at this point. Goodfor them...
Oh but it is... Mezter is from the west coast and thoroughly supports west coast cities, he left his heart on the west coast. He is not a New Yorker. He just moved there to Long Island and complains about it. kidphilly made the counter-thread, as he often does thankfully, when delusions run rampant on here. The point of this thread was to show how delusional the other one was, when Seattle can't even hang with Philadelphia, much less Lower Manhattan. How that is not obvious I don't know, I knew that was the point as soon as I saw it.

Old 11-15-2011, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Oh but it is... Mezter is from the west coast and thoroughly supports west coast cities, he left his heart on the west coast. He is not a New Yorker. He just moved there to Long Island and complains about it.
Yeah, he told me once where he was from but it wasnt NY. He has never even been to Brooklyn before he said.

Old 11-15-2011, 05:15 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,559,233 times
Quote:

Just about every city on here is either vastly overrated or vastly underrated depending on who you ask on here... Philadelphia is underrated on here? At this point every day there's about ten different threads dominated by non-stop posts about how great Philly is... Philadelphia was underrated in real life about ten years ago--though it seems like it gets plenty of recognition(justifiably so) at this point. Good for them...
The Mookie Blaylock of US Cities: so renowned for being underrated it becomes overrated

Old 11-15-2011, 05:17 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,694,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gateway Region View Post
Those are only by natives. Then come in another 10 west coasters trashing philly.
This applies to Theads about West coast cities too.. It could be a simple thread about Seattle vs San Fransisco...or La vs San Diego...and BAM a easterner (mainly NYC and Philly posters) has to jump in on it! So it really goes both ways.

Old 11-15-2011, 05:20 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,694,910 times
Quote:
Oh but it is... Mezter is from the west coast and thoroughly supports west coast cities, he left his heart on the west coast. He is not a New Yorker. He just moved there to Long Island and complains about it. kidphilly made the counter-thread, as he often does thankfully, when delusions run rampant on here. The point of this thread was to show how delusional the other one was, when Seattle can't even hang with Philadelphia, much less Lower Manhattan. How that is not obvious I don't know, I knew that was the point as soon as I saw it.
Since when do i complain about life here? Please tell me. I can support BOTH sides. Please don't say anything if you clearly don't know what you're talking about. I LOVE Long Island.

The second thing i highlighted i don't find true. I think they can compare. Sure Philly wins, but they can Still "Hang" with eachother.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City