Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2011, 02:39 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,953,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
But what's wrong with that? Its not cabasse's fault that his local source is more complete.
what is wrong with it is that it is not uniform.

At least the DATA from the firms use set criteria for all cities.

What is right about comparing buildings of a certain size in business districts for all other cities but for one city include every last building in the city, including stand alone buildings regardless of size??

I didn't say it was his fault, but it doesn't fit in with the uniform source
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2011, 02:40 PM

Quote:
This source says the DFW Metroplex has 226 Million sq ft.
Dallas Office Space Market Overview » OfficeFinder Blog

and that...

Houston has 266 Million sq ft.
OfficeFinder Blog » Archives
I have not looked at them, but I am sure they are doing the same thing that the ATL source is doing, ie including every building even those not in a business district. Not very uniform and can't be compared with the Grubb Ellis list

Old 11-25-2011, 02:42 PM

396 posts, read 601,653 times
^true. the colliers report is definitely sufficient, and sets the cutoff size at no less than 10k square feet which is a pretty good size. (and would exclude things like houses converted to office space)

http://dsg.colliers.com/document.aspx?report=1974.pdf

dt+mt atl still a respectable 50m in about 350 total buildings. very few, if any, of those are going to be far outside the central core(s) of midtown and downtown. atl's innermost neighborhoods aren't built that way - they're almost entirely residential with a bit of retail.

Old 11-25-2011, 02:43 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
what is wrong with it is that it is not uniform.

At least the DATA from the firms use set criteria for all cities.

What is right about comparing buildings of a certain size in business districts for all other cities but for one city include every last building in the city, including stand alone buildings regardless of size??

I didn't say it was his fault, but it doesn't fit in with the uniform source
yeah, that's a great point.

Ive stated this several times, I wish they'd conduct a census of sorts for all office space.

Quote:
I have not looked at them, but I am sure they are doing the same thing that the ATL source is doing, ie including every building even those not in a business district
I think by now we are aware that in every city except New York, most offices are located outside of the CBD.

Old 11-25-2011, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabasse View Post
^true. the colliers report is definitely sufficient, and sets the cutoff size at no less than 10k square feet which is a pretty good size. (and would exclude things like houses converted to office space)

http://dsg.colliers.com/document.aspx?report=1974.pdf

dt+mt atl still a respectable 50m in about 350 total buildings. very few, if any, of those are going to be far outside the central core(s) of midtown and downtown. atl's innermost neighborhoods aren't built that way - they're almost entirely residential with a bit of retail.
yeah 50M is huge when compared to other cities.

Quote:
yeah, that's a great point.

Ive stated this several times, I wish they'd conduct a census of sorts for all office space.

I think by now we are aware that in every city except New York, most offices are located outside of the CBD.
that would be a pain. Like Cabasse hinted at, there are lots of offices around that are houses converted into offices.

San Antonio is notorious for that.

tons of Law, medical, dental etc offices are converted single family homes.
San Antonio's downtown market space is 4M and the total for the metro is 20M, if you count every darn house turned office in the city I bet they could rack up a 100M in office space, but really?? is that really an office market if I see my clients in my back yard???

Old 11-25-2011, 02:53 PM

80 posts, read 123,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_Born View Post
I don't know if this is really a "versus" thing in itself, but it could spawn some good "versus" discussion. This is in millions of square feet of office space.

Midtown Manhattan - 200.2
Washington D.C. - 131.7
Chicago - 131.5
Toronto - 88.7
Downtown Manhattan - 87.3
San Francisco - 83.2
Midtown South Manhattan - 71.8
Boston - 59.2
Atlanta - 56.9
Seattle - 52.5
Montreal - 49.4
Philadelphia - 41.5

And just for laughs and giggles, since I've noticed there are a couple of big downtown San Jose boosters on this forum who shall go unnamed, let's look at downtown San Jose's office inventory:

San Jose - 7.5
San Jose has the worst downtown in the world!

Old 11-25-2011, 02:55 PM

80 posts, read 123,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_Born View Post
As for what I said about San Jose, it was only said as a response to some of the delusional SJ homers around here who think SJ has an impressive downtown.
I agree that San Jose has the worst downtown, period. It's too small, dead and boring with no life once so ever. The cost of living is a rip off, too!

Old 11-25-2011, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Dog View Post
San Jose has the worst downtown in the world!
In terms of what??? Not Office Space

SA has a larger population but half of the office space

Old 11-25-2011, 02:56 PM

396 posts, read 601,653 times
i wouldn't doubt that houston (and probably dallas as well) have more space in fewer, larger office towers, while atl probably has less space in the largest buildings but makes up for it with things like lofts converted to office in some of the very-near districts basically touching midtown/downtown, like on tech's campus, just north and west of it, in castleberry hill and edgewood just east of the freeway.

Old 11-25-2011, 03:03 PM

6,695 posts, read 9,947,759 times
It seems like each list is different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City