Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2012, 04:15 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
I think the Rivalry thats heating up with Chicago VS Indy is going to reach new levels in a couple of years.
This "rivalry" -- if it even exists -- is of the one-way variety.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2012, 04:24 PM

1,312 posts, read 1,869,839 times
Back in college I knew someone who was from Chicago, and would let you know it. Any chance he got he would BASH Indy. Not critique. Not offer constructive criticism. Not draw comparisons. Just BASH.

At the time I didn't really know a lot about Chicago besides it was huge and had lots of stuff, more than Indy. If I knew then what I know now, after a bashing of the Circle City I should have asked, "What neighborhood are you from?"

Because the more I think about it, the more it seems like the guy didn't even live in Chicago, ever. He was probably a suburban kid who took the Metra in on weekends and hung out around Wrigley and was cool and hip to things because he was from "Chicago".

Moral of the story? I don't think I've ever heard a Chicagoan express absolute hate for Indianapolis. Dislike? That's possible. But not because of some complex driven emotions. Maybe because Chicago simply offers more and is more in line with how they want a city to be. Public transportation for instance.

Old 08-03-2012, 04:31 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,511,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A2DAC1985 View Post
Back in college I knew someone who was from Chicago, and would let you know it. Any chance he got he would BASH Indy. Not critique. Not offer constructive criticism. Not draw comparisons. Just BASH.

At the time I didn't really know a lot about Chicago besides it was huge and had lots of stuff, more than Indy. If I knew then what I know now, after a bashing of the Circle City I should have asked, "What neighborhood are you from?"

Because the more I think about it, the more it seems like the guy didn't even live in Chicago, ever. He was probably a suburban kid who took the Metra in on weekends and hung out around Wrigley and was cool and hip to things because he was from "Chicago".

Moral of the story? I don't think I've ever heard a Chicagoan express absolute hate for Indianapolis. Dislike? That's possible. But not because of some complex driven emotions. Maybe because Chicago simply offers more and is more in line with how they want a city to be. Public transportation for instance.
or could it be Super Bowl 41?
maybe he just was soo tied to da bears lol.

Old 08-03-2012, 04:34 PM

1,312 posts, read 1,869,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
or could it be Super Bowl 41?
maybe he just was soo tied to da bears lol.
No, this went on before the Super Bowl.

Old 08-03-2012, 04:47 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,709,383 times
I have grown up in Chicago and can honestly say I have never disliked Indy for any reason including sports. I have never visitied but it seems like a nice city. However growing up in Chi we think...let me rephrase...we know we are the best city in the midwest and no other midwest city can touch us anyway

Old 08-03-2012, 05:05 PM

1,202 posts, read 1,251,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A2DAC1985 View Post

Back in college I knew lots of people who were from Chicago and the suburbs. We never talked about Indy. Ever.

Old 08-03-2012, 05:21 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,800,719 times
Chicagoans are alone in the Midwest in terms of being a world-class city. I mean, can they have world-class city rivalries with St. Louis, Indy, Metro Detroit, or even Minneapolis/St. Paul? You say "no"? I say "no," too. So, perhaps that's why they gang up on cities like Indianapolis or St. Louis. I have noticed that Chicagolanders tend to look down upon smaller cities in the Midwest.

Chicagoans, however, could legitimately have a rivalry with the other Great Lakes cosmopolitan, financial and educational powerhouses, Toronto and Montreal. I just don't think they care. The Canadians would also have some advantage going in because Chicago's crime rate is the absolute highest among all major world-class cities, even the Brazilian ones but save for maybe Johannesburg.

Away from this, however, they seem to be generally friendly people and I've had good experiences with most Chicagoans I've met; I like the city.

Now, on the West Coast, you have L.A. and S.F., and I would argue Seattle. On the East Coast, there's Boston, NYC, DC, Philadelphia, and Miami, and I would argue Atlanta. In Texas, there's Houston and Dallas/Fort Worth--yes, Texas' largest ARE WORLD-CLASS! In those regions, one city isn't the obvious standout.

Old 08-03-2012, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattywo85 View Post
I have grown up in Chicago and can honestly say I have never disliked Indy for any reason including sports. I have never visitied but it seems like a nice city. However growing up in Chi we think...let me rephrase...we know we are the best city in the midwest and no other midwest city can touch us anyway
You havent visited Indy?
hmm maybe you should make the 3 weekend vacation trip sometime then.

Old 08-03-2012, 06:42 PM

1,773 posts, read 2,674,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
Chicagoans are alone in the Midwest in terms of being a world-class city. I mean, can they have world-class city rivalries with St. Louis, Indy, Metro Detroit, or even Minneapolis/St. Paul? You say "no"? I say "no," too. So, perhaps that's why they gang up on cities like Indianapolis or St. Louis. I have noticed that Chicagolanders tend to look down upon smaller cities in the Midwest.

Chicagoans, however, could legitimately have a rivalry with the other Great Lakes cosmopolitan, financial and educational powerhouses, Toronto and Montreal. I just don't think they care. The Canadians would also have some advantage going in because Chicago's crime rate is the absolute highest among all major world-class cities, even the Brazilian ones but save for maybe Johannesburg.

Away from this, however, they seem to be generally friendly people and I've had good experiences with most Chicagoans I've met; I like the city.

Now, on the West Coast, you have L.A. and S.F., and I would argue Seattle. On the East Coast, there's Boston, NYC, DC, Philadelphia, and Miami, and I would argue Atlanta. In Texas, there's Houston and Dallas/Fort Worth--yes, Texas' largest ARE WORLD-CLASS! In those regions, one city isn't the obvious standout.
What do you consider a "world-class rivalry," and where are you drawing the lines here?

US "World-Class" City Rankings:

Alpha ++
New York

Alpha +
Chicago

Alpha
LA
SF
DC

Alpha -
Atlanta
Boston
Dallas
Miami
Philly

Beta +
Houston

Beta
Minneapolis
Seattle

Beta -
Cleveland
Denver
Detroit
San Diego
San Juan
St. Louis

Gamma +
Baltimore
Charlotte
Cincinnati
Portland
San Jose

Gamma
Columbus
Indy
KC
Phoenix
Pittsburgh
Tampa

Gamma -
Austin
Milwaukee
Orlando
Richmond

Minneapolis and Seattle are in the same tier so I'm not sure why you're excluding one and not the other. All cities that are the leader of their respective regions tend to have a complex, you think New York in general considers Philly, DC, or Boston for example as equals? I guess you do since you said no city in the NE region stands out... same with the WC, LA and Seattle are clearly toe to toe...

I'm not a huge fan of the term "World-Class" at all (I'm way more strict in general with the term than this study), but be realistic in your boasting of regions/putting down the Midwest.

Old 08-03-2012, 09:42 PM

I dont see how in the world class rankings Cleveland is so high up. yet Indy isnt.
Indy is VERY well known for the Indy 500. what world class sporting event or any event for that matter does cleveland hold.
Basically if you ask people around the world about Indianapolis the 500 instantly comes to mind.
Whats clevelands signature thing? if you ask people around the world Cleveland does anything come to mind.
if not then these world class rankings need tweaked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City