Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2012, 02:16 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,521,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAReastcoast View Post
nitpicking, but I think you meant 3rd busiest in US (YTD 2012), not earth. 8th busiest on earth.

4th busiest in 2011.

World's busiest airports by passenger traffic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
yes..i did mean the US.. where it bounces between second and third.. not that it matters. It's moot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2012, 04:58 PM

8,980 posts, read 17,290,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
i didnt say Indy was a more important logistics hub. Chicago is
But if we remove lake michigan from the comparison here Indy has a clear advantage over Chicago.
Ive been on the beltways traffic is heavy and they need to redo the freeways around Chicago.
Indianapolis is already updating its freeway network so trucking is just that much easier. Plus the Airport is attached to I-70 for the reason of trucking and easy in and out of the Fedex terminal.
If you take Lake Michigan away, Chicago probably never becomes the mega city it is today. Chicago never grows into the 2nd largest city in the country and as a result, never gains the perceived disadvantage of road traffic. Why? Because Chicago never becomes Chicago without the lake. It becomes, Indianapolis. In that scenario, St. Louis probably becomes the flagship of the Midwest and the entire premise of this thread is moot. Who knows who St. Louis would choose to hate. I bet Kansas City. Or the small lakeless Chicago.

Hypothetically, if we removed Lake Michigan of course.

Old 04-20-2012, 05:20 PM

161 posts, read 211,581 times
Quote:
nitpicking, but I think you meant 3rd busiest in US (YTD 2012), not earth. 8th busiest on earth.

4th busiest in 2011.

World's busiest airports by passenger traffic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
You do not use stats from a year that has not ended.

Old 04-20-2012, 05:34 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:

4th busiest in 2011.

That's by passengers. What happens when you add freight to the mix? Then O'Hare moves to #2 -- not just in the U.S. but the world.

Old 08-03-2012, 01:10 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,513,903 times
I think the Rivalry thats heating up with Chicago VS Indy is going to reach new levels in a couple of years.
First we have the colts game this opening of the NFL season.
next in 2-3 years Indianapolis is going to bid for another Super Bowl and i have a high gut feeling Chicago is going to bid for the same year that Indianapolis's does. And if history and Super Bowl guidances are any idea on who would win Indy would win another Super Bowl over Chicago.
Plus there is Mitch Daniels and soon to be Governor Pence that will continue to recruit businesses over from Illinois to Indiana. Especially with Illinois going deeper down the debt toilet. Have to pay for those pensions somehow. Taxes are about the only way to do it.

so the next few years are going to be *interesting* to watch

Old 08-03-2012, 01:41 PM

8,980 posts, read 17,290,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
I think the Rivalry thats heating up with Chicago VS Indy is going to reach new levels in a couple of years.
The only place in which a rivalry between Chicago and Indianapolis exists is in your own head.

Old 08-03-2012, 01:45 PM

303 posts, read 579,183 times
Honestly Im a Chicagoan and love my city but I can care less about the Midwest.

Old 08-03-2012, 02:04 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,273,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTVols865 View Post
I don't understand why Chicagoans hate Indianapolis (Indy) so much. I like both cities but Chicago is the largest, most global city in the Midwest. I don't see any reason for them to dislike Indy.

Is it more of regional rivalry since Indianapolis is safer with lower cost of living and better schools while experiencing moderate growth compared to most of the Midwest?

I often heard Chicagoans saying that Indy is full of insecure, snooty bumpkins who think they are so special or better than everyone else.

I do know one thing for sure. Indy has Carmel and I would choose to live in Carmel over any overpriced, older suburbs in Chicago's North Shore or Naperville. That's just me.
As a native Chicagoan, I really can't say I'm aware of this rivalry/contempt. If Chicagoans give anyone guff its Cornbelt Illinois outside the metro, along with hicky satellite cities Joliet and Elgin that get the bidness...also Peoria.

The real city with something of a chip on its shoulder regarding Chicago is Milwaukee, a city inches away from being swallowed by Chicago's metro. They're like Boston to our NYC, except Milwaukee doesn't have market covered on higher education. There's definitely an inferiority complex there for sure, even though its certainly not merited.

Indianapolis is great midwestern city. If Chicagoans have beef with anyone its the east coast for constantly putting them down for being midwestern themselves, despite the cities contributions.

Old 08-03-2012, 02:37 PM

2,421 posts, read 4,318,724 times
Seriously, this rivalry does not exist.

Old 08-03-2012, 03:30 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,513,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by git45 View Post
As a native Chicagoan, I really can't say I'm aware of this rivalry/contempt. If Chicagoans give anyone guff its Cornbelt Illinois outside the metro, along with hicky satellite cities Joliet and Elgin that get the bidness...also Peoria.

The real city with something of a chip on its shoulder regarding Chicago is Milwaukee, a city inches away from being swallowed by Chicago's metro. They're like Boston to our NYC, except Milwaukee doesn't have market covered on higher education. There's definitely an inferiority complex there for sure, even though its certainly not merited.

Indianapolis is great midwestern city. If Chicagoans have beef with anyone its the east coast for constantly putting them down for being midwestern themselves, despite the cities contributions.
oh dont get me started with the Ignorant Coasts. Chi-Town is not the only place that recieves crap from Coasters.
Indiana gets its fair share too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City