Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2012, 01:50 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,398,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wh15395 View Post
Let's be fair here, Indianapolis is not in the middle of some educational hell hole or anything. Indianapolis has IU's Kelley School of Business, IU's medical students, IU's School of Law, Butler University, and Purdue's Campus is very close. There are more schools here too, but those are the top rated ones.

Just to clarify, those IU schools are all located in Indianapolis as well as Bloomington, not just the Bloomington campus (which is also very close). For the record, I'm sure there's roughly 0% chance of CME moving to Indianapolis, but if I were Chicago, I probably wouldn't stop worrying that Indianapolis isn't vying for any of their other companies.
I certainly wasn't arguing that Indianapolis is in some educational "hell hole." I was just pointing out that--given the large magnet that Chicago is for young graduates, the sheer magnitude of the labor pool from which it draws, the intrinsic world-caliber facilities that are located in its own city, and the number of business- and financial-oriented jobs in the Chicago area--Indianapolis and Chicago aren't on the same tier when it comes to "business" cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 02:29 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,510,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
I certainly wasn't arguing that Indianapolis is in some educational "hell hole." I was just pointing out that--given the large magnet that Chicago is for young graduates, the sheer magnitude of the labor pool from which it draws, the intrinsic world-caliber facilities that are located in its own city, and the number of business- and financial-oriented jobs in the Chicago area--Indianapolis and Chicago aren't on the same tier when it comes to "business" cities.
Business climate i am using is CEO Magazine.
What kind of people run a business?
CEOs.
If im going to believe anyone for business climate its them cause they are the ones at the top of the food chain that make the decisions.

just for the curious people out there: http://chiefexecutive.net/best-worst...s-for-business

Indiana is best in the midwest and 6th in the country for business climate. With Right to Work passed its now up in the top 5.
Illinois is 48th. thats NOT a good title to have.
wonder why over 20 major businesses accounting for over 2500 jobs moved from Illinois to Indiana last year. also 40 out of 42 times when a business was considering Illinois or Indiana the business choose Indiana.
Small businesses though are leaving Illinois for Indiana in bigger droves and those arent documented sadly
Oh well as i say corruption has a price.

Old 04-16-2012, 02:41 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,398,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
CEOs.
If im going to believe anyone for business climate its them cause they are the ones at the top of the food chain that make the decisions.

just for the curious people out there: Best/Worst States for Business | ChiefExecutive.net | Chief Executive Magazine

Indiana is best in the midwest and 6th in the country for business climate. With Right to Work passed its now up in the top 5.
wonder why over 20 major businesses accounting for over 2500 jobs moved from Illinois to Indiana last year. also 40 out of 42 times when a business was considering Illinois or Indiana the business choose Indiana.
Small businesses though are leaving Illinois for Indiana in bigger droves and those arent documented sadly
Hmm...I think the list is a bit dubious. Seems a lot of those states that rank "poorly" on your list are listed such as they are because they have high regulations...New York ranks 49th on your list and NYC is, without a doubt, the most finance- and business-relevant city in the United States. Using your logic, one would argue that Indy has a better business climate than NYC...

Old 04-16-2012, 03:43 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,279,426 times
Quote:
Hmm...I think the list is a bit dubious. Seems a lot of those states that rank "poorly" on your list are listed such as they are because they have high regulations...New York ranks 49th on your list and NYC is, without a doubt, the most finance- and business-relevant city in the United States. Using your logic, one would argue that Indy has a better business climate than NYC...
I think one thing the list misses (along with all the other lists like it), is that New York HAS to have more regulations in place. Why? Because big boy business happens in New York. Left unchecked, the money involved and the greed, it can all spiral out of control. New York has regulations because it has to have regulations.

Indiana doesn't have those regulations because it doesn't need to. Indiana has to sell that idea of an absence of regulations because big boy business just doesn't happen in Indiana on its own like it does in New York. I am sure there are CEOs that hate doing business in New York, but that is where their labor market is. The labor market and client base leverages the CEO into doing business in New York, not because of regulations from the state.

Old 04-16-2012, 05:18 PM

161 posts, read 211,435 times
Quote:
CEOs.

just for the curious people out there: Best/Worst States for Business | ChiefExecutive.net | Chief Executive Magazine

Why would you be proud of a Right to Work law? That does not help, it only hurts.

And Indiana is not nearly as good as you think it is.

Old 04-16-2012, 05:41 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,510,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtrpr View Post
Why would you be proud of a Right to Work law? That does not help, it only hurts.

lol yes Indiana is good.
Why were we leading the nation in job growth for the past few months?
Illinois Unemployment rate: 9.1%
Indiana's unemployment rate: 8.4%
Chicago cant drag down Indiana like it can to Illinois so theres a good comparison of two different types of governments.
Indiana is the Republican State and Illinois is the Democratic state.
Make the judgement for yourself

wh15395 3 major businesses other than CME group that could be relocated to Indianapolis that come to mind right away.
Abbott Labatories, Mc Donalds, and Office Max amongst many others.

Old 04-16-2012, 05:49 PM

161 posts, read 211,435 times
Quote:
lol yes Indiana is good.
Chicago cant drag down Indiana like it can to Illinois so theres a good comparison of two different types of governments.

wh15395 3 major businesses other than CME group that could be relocated to Indianapolis that come to mind right away.
While I do enjoy your baseless claims, just because you say so does not make it true.

Old 04-16-2012, 06:16 PM

5,906 posts, read 5,736,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtrpr View Post

Indiana sucks on numerous levels for workers. Case in point, the difference in how the two states treat adult non-union employees:

Quote:
An Illinois employee who is to work 7 1/2 continuous hours or more shall be provided an unpaid meal period of at least 20 minutes. The meal period must be given to an employee no later than 5 hours after beginning work.
Illinois Wage and Hour Laws - EmploymentLawHandbook.com

Quote:
Indiana does not have any laws requiring an employer to provide a meal period or breaks to employees 18 years of age or older, thus the federal rule applies. The federal rule does not require an employer to provide either a meal (lunch) period or breaks.
Indiana Wage and Hour Laws - EmploymentLawHandbook.com

In other words, Indiana doesn't really care about employees...which is fantastic if you want to come to the state and start a business that disrespects its employees.

I telecommute, so it doesn't apply to me. My husband is lucky enough to work for an employer that guarantees breaks and meal breaks to all of its employees.

My 18-yr-old daughter, on the other hand, just began working at our local mall. Her employer does not provide either one.

Yeah, Indiana's just peachy.

Old 04-16-2012, 06:18 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,451,133 times
Quote:
Yea seriously...the bottom 7 of that list includes Connecticut, Massachusetts, New Jersey, Michigan, New York, Illinois, and California...there's no doubt that Michigan has a heap of trouble, and California has bad taxes and currently has a bad unemployment rate, but all of those states (except MI) have insane talent pools and some of the most powerful cities in the country.

To think someone is going to choose Indiana over any of those states--again with the possible exception of MI--to run their business and attract top talent is a little far-fetched.

Old 04-16-2012, 06:20 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,451,133 times
Quote:
lol yes Indiana is good.

Again, why would any of those companies move to Indy? If Abbott was going to go anywhere it'd probably be Boston, or maybe Philadelphia. McDonalds has zero reason to move, and the same with Office Max.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City