Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 04:20 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,460,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Sports wise I can believe it. Otherwise people in Chicago don't tend to think much about other cities, let alone rag on and HATE them. Or else I guess you just have bad luck or fussy friends in Chicago...
It'd be like the captain of the football team with a 4.0 GPA and all the girls he wants looking into the stands at some band nerd and saying "God I hate that sonofabitch...if only I could play the tuba with such grace."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2011, 06:49 PM

860 posts, read 1,357,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
Carmel is god awful
+1

I'd also like to add, that I know many people from Indianapolis, who moved to Chicago, and many from Chicago that have moved to Indy. Not everyone from Chicago hates Indy, most just don't acknowledge it, and that's what happens when your city reigns supreme over a huge region like the Midwest. I know alot of people from Chicago that have never been to Indy... hell, I've met 2 people from Chicago that have never seen Lake Michigan

Old 11-28-2011, 07:03 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,950,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austiNati View Post
+1

I'd also like to add, that I know many people from Indianapolis, who moved to Chicago, and many from Chicago that have moved to Indy. Not everyone from Chicago hates Indy, most just don't acknowledge it, and that's what happens when your city reigns supreme over a huge region like the Midwest. I know alot of people from Chicago that have never been to Indy... hell, I've met 2 people from Chicago that have never seen Lake Michigan
I'd imagine the only Chicagoans who really hate Indy are those FROM Indy. They obviously prefer Chicago because they left Indy for Chicago. Everyone else is mostly indifferent.

Old 11-28-2011, 07:39 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,029,877 times
It's called the Cook County superiority complex, and it also encompasses Milwaukee, St. Louis, and Detroit, among other places. These are all fine cities...but don't tell that to a Chicagoan!

I remember a time when I was in college, and a friend of mine from (suburban) Chicago complained about how he couldn't watch his beloved Chicago sports teams on the local stations, as if every city in the Midwest automatically defers to Chicago. I was just like "wow"...how callous. Only a Chicagoan could possibly even fathom such a notion.

Old 11-28-2011, 08:07 PM

815 posts, read 1,858,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
It's called the Cook County superiority complex, and it also encompasses Milwaukee, St. Louis, and Detroit, among other places. These are all fine cities...but don't tell that to a Chicagoan!

I remember a time when I was in college, and a friend of mine from (suburban) Chicago complained about how he couldn't watch his beloved Chicago sports teams on the local stations, as if every city in the Midwest automatically defers to Chicago. I was just like "wow"...how callous. Only a Chicagoan could possibly even fathom such a notion.
Well they do have WGN nationally, which shows sports as well as local Chicago news.

Old 11-28-2011, 09:38 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,095,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
It'd be like the captain of the football team with a 4.0 GPA and all the girls he wants looking into the stands at some band nerd and saying "God I hate that sonofabitch...if only I could play the tuba with such grace."
So, being from Sao Paulo, how much firsthand experience do you have with this? And why should we take your assessments seriously?

You seem to have a rather irrational hatred of Indy yourself. I don't know if maybe you're from the States originally, or....? Does any city deserve this kind of ire?

As for me, I'm Minneapolis-raised with *tons* of Chicago relatives. The only time I ever really see hate is in sports rivalries-- my relatives (Sox fans) will not mince words about their hate for the Twins; I won't cover up my hate for the Sox.

Other than that, we're pretty much off of each other's radar. Many people in Chicago would say, "Oh, Minneapolis. I've been up there. I liked it," and we'd say the same thing about Chicago. Plenty of homers there that say they would never move to Minne because it's not "big enough," plenty of homers in Minne that would say they'd never move to Chicago because it's too much hassle and "there's nothing I can do there that I can't do here." Basically, good-natured ribbing....but never hate, per se.

I assume the same is pretty much true for Chicago and Indy.

Old 11-28-2011, 09:39 PM

815 posts, read 1,858,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srsmn View Post
So, being from Sao Paulo, how much firsthand experience do you have with this? And why should we take your assessments seriously?

You seem to have a rather irrational hatred of Indy yourself. I don't know if maybe you're from the States originally, or....? Does any city deserve this kind of ire?

As for me, I'm Minneapolis-raised with *tons* of Chicago relatives. The only time I ever really see hate is in sports rivalries-- my relatives (Sox fans) will not mince words about their hate for the Twins; I won't cover up my hate for the Sox.

Other than that, we're pretty much off of each other's radar. Many people in Chicago would say, "Oh, Minneapolis. I've been up there. I liked it," and we'd say the same thing about Chicago. Plenty of homers there that say they would never move to Minne because it's not "big enough," plenty of homers in Minne that would say they'd never move to Chicago because it's too much hassle and "there's nothing I can do there that I can't do here." Basically, good-natured ribbing....but never hate, per se.

I assume the same is pretty much true for Chicago and Indy.
He has lived allover the country, he is only currently in Sao Paolo, your poor intellect led you to assume, now you look like a jerk. I see now why that one poster created the Narnian cities thread =)

Old 11-28-2011, 09:55 PM

1,160 posts, read 2,960,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTVols865 View Post
Is it more of regional rivalry since Indianapolis is safer with lower cost of living and better schools while experiencing moderate growth compared to most of the Midwest?

I often heard Chicagoans saying that Indy is full of insecure, snooty bumpkins who think they are so special or better than everyone else.
I lived in Chicago for a few years, and honestly, Indianapolis is a city that rarely ever comes up. There really isn't any sort of rivalry between the two. There is very little interaction in general between the two. If anything, Chicago has more interaction and rivalries with other Midwest cities such as Milwaukee, Detroit, Minneapolis, St. Louis, Cleveland, and Green Bay due to sports. Also, both cities are very different. The type of people attracted to Chicago will usually not be attracted to Indianapolis, and vice versa.

Nobody in Chicago thinks people in Indy are snooty or better then everyone. Most people in the US, including Chicagoans, tend to think people in Indy are down to earth, friendly people. In the end, most people in Chicago don't notice Indianapolis enough to really have an opinion on it. I highly doubt people in Indy really care about Chicago either, aside from the occasional shopping trip.

Old 11-28-2011, 10:05 PM

1,160 posts, read 2,960,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post

There are pretty much people like that in every huge city in the world. Chicagoans are no better or no worse in that sense compared to New Yorkers and Angelenos.

Old 11-28-2011, 10:21 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,980,930 times
That's neither here nor there since you basically have stereotypes everywhere you go rather if it's in Chicago, Indy or even New York or Jackson,MS. People just need to get out more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City