Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 12:02 AM

98 posts, read 276,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
Carmel is god awful
Please elaborate your response. What is it about Carmel that you dislike?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2011, 12:19 AM

98 posts, read 276,584 times
I recently read everyone's posts above.

The Midwest is dominated by Chicago just like the Northeast being dominated by NYC.

Honestly, I like many Midwestern cities myself but they are rarely mentioned because of Chicago. Although I lived in the South almost all of my life, I used to spend summers in Indy/Central Indiana before my grandparents on both sides passed away.

Chicago is the most global city in the Midwest. However, I've heard many times that Chicago is declining due to corrupted politics, ridiculously high debts, high cost of living driving people to the suburbs, and continued high crime rate among African-Americans constantly being discussed in the media.

Even schools are declining due to lack of funds being put into inner city schools. I once read an article saying that Chicago is becoming the next Mississippi with crime, poverty, debts, and not progressing forward.

Do you agree or disagree with what has been said about Chicago? Is it just media exaggerating about Chicago?

Old 11-29-2011, 04:30 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,518,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTVols865 View Post
Please elaborate your response. What is it about Carmel that you dislike?
Carmel is basically a well rounded version of suburban upper-middle class Hell. I have family that has been living in Noblesville for years, and even they cannot stand the place.

Old 11-29-2011, 04:31 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,518,046 times
Quote:
I once read an article saying that Chicago is becoming the next Mississippi with crime, poverty, debts, and not progressing forward.

Do you agree or disagree with what has been said about Chicago? Is it just media exaggerating about Chicago?
You've never been to Mississippi, or Chicago, have you?

Old 11-29-2011, 05:55 AM

2,598 posts, read 4,922,861 times
Quote:
I recently read everyone's posts above.

The Midwest is dominated by Chicago just like the Northeast being dominated by NYC.

Honestly, I like many Midwestern cities myself but they are rarely mentioned because of Chicago. Although I lived in the South almost all of my life, I used to spend summers in Indy/Central Indiana before my grandparents on both sides passed away.

Chicago is the most global city in the Midwest. However, I've heard many times that Chicago is declining due to corrupted politics, ridiculously high debts, high cost of living driving people to the suburbs, and continued high crime rate among African-Americans constantly being discussed in the media.

Even schools are declining due to lack of funds being put into inner city schools. I once read an article saying that Chicago is becoming the next Mississippi with crime, poverty, debts, and not progressing forward.

Chicago is one of the world's top financial centers. I don't think we need to worry about progression.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:06 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,451,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srsmn View Post
So, being from Sao Paulo, how much firsthand experience do you have with this? And why should we take your assessments seriously?
O quê? Desculpe, eu não falo inglês. O que são Indianapolis e Chicago? São carros ou pessoas?

As Garfieldian mentioned (thanks by the way), I'm originally from the United States...Boston to be exact. I've also lived in South Carolina and Denver, and have been to Chicago a few times and thru Indy a couple times too (though admittedly I was very young).

It's interesting that your first reaction is to attempt to discredit my post based on my location though...insecure much?

Quote:
You seem to have a rather irrational hatred of Indy yourself. I don't know if maybe you're from the States originally, or....? Does any city deserve this kind of ire?
I don't get where you think I have hatred for Indy...as I said in my first post in this thread, I just see it as a "nothing" city. There's nothing terrible about Indy, but I don't see much about it that would be considered great. That's why I think it's absurd to suggest that Chicagoans are in some way jealous of Indianapolis.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:28 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,398,088 times
Quote:

First, few major cities are much different in regards to relatively high crime (compared to rural areas), high prices, high taxes and poor schools. Second, Chicago the next Mississippi...? Whoever wrote that article has either a) never been to Chicago, b) never been to Mississippi or c) both.

Getting back to the original question: I think of Chicago and Indy as being two very different cities for different tastes; neither one is necessarily better than the other, but you get a different experience in each. Plus, Chicago is so much larger than Indy, it's hard to even make any sort of fair comparison between the two.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:29 AM

771 posts, read 1,395,103 times
I have lived in Chicago for 25 years and Indianapolis is rarely ever mentioned. To be honest, I think most Chicagoans are very indifferent to the city, they don't hate it or like it. I would say 90% of the Chicagoans I know have never even been there. I am not sure what you are talking about, but most Chicagoans I know really don't even think about Indianapolis.

With that being said, Chicago is very disconnected to Indianapolis. Chicago is very connected to Madison, Milwaukee and St. Louis, historically and culturally. You will hear people talk about those cities, they visit regularly and in the sports world they are mentioned a lot more. I always found that strange as Indianapolis is so close to Chicago. It's almost as if Indianapolis didn't exist to most Chicagoans (I don't mean that in an offensive way).

Old 11-29-2011, 08:25 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,949,764 times
I work with two guys who live in NW Indiana, and they despise Chicago, and most of the Chicagoans I know, look down on NW Indiana. I don't know most Chicagoans thoughts on Indianapolis, but I do think there is a habit of looking down on NW Indiana.

Old 11-29-2011, 08:31 AM

121 posts, read 132,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
Carmel is basically a well rounded version of suburban upper-middle class Hell. I have family that has been living in Noblesville for years, and even they cannot stand the place.
I can't help but laugh at this. If we returned to the Indy area Carmel would most likely be the first place we would look to put down roots. For all I heard about the JoCo burbs here in KC before we moved out here, Carmel sure puts them all to shame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City