Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2012, 07:16 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,214,312 times

Advertisements

Once you get on the 1-80 tollway your life is changed forever before you enter illinoise
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2012, 07:57 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,519,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Chicago suffers from an inferiority complex, so it needs to bash someone. Indianapolis is a convenient opponent.

Chicago lost "second city" status quite a while ago and, while NY and LA add population, their city population change is flat. The "chip on the shoulder" is among the biggest I've seen in North America, needing to compare themselves to NY and needing to bash LA.

I once had enough and told a group of "eww, LA" Chicago types: "Why do I know of people from the Chicago area who decided to make LA home and stayed, while I know of no one who VOLUNTARILY chose to move from LA to Chicago?" There was NO response.
lolol...good story.. albeit BS

Old 04-13-2012, 08:02 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,512,078 times
Quote:
Chicago suffers from an inferiority complex, so it needs to bash someone. Indianapolis is a convenient opponent.

Chicago lost "second city" status quite a while ago and, while NY and LA add population, their city population change is flat. The "chip on the shoulder" is among the biggest I've seen in North America, needing to compare themselves to NY and needing to bash LA.

I once had enough and told a group of "eww, LA" Chicago types: "Why do I know of people from the Chicago area who decided to make LA home and stayed, while I know of no one who VOLUNTARILY chose to move from LA to Chicago?" There was NO response.

great point.
Maybe Indy should just try harder to get CME group to move here
Build them a new Headquarter skyscraper downtown and offer them lots of tax breaks and CME group can come to Indy and we would welcome them here with open arms.
Along with any other smart Chicago Business that flees the corruption pit of America
Best of all Indiana has a balanced budget so we can afford massive tax breaks. ILLinois cant.

Old 04-13-2012, 08:11 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,366,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
lolol...good story.. albeit BS
I'm too lazy, but you can dig up the transplantation and retention stats for the two metro areas. I doubt the numbers would lie.

I know that transplantation stats between CA and the PNW were well documented, and quantified, when the PNW was on pins and needles about the Californians "californicating" their region.

Old 04-13-2012, 08:14 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,401,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
great point.
Maybe Indy should just try harder to get CME group to move here
Build them a new Headquarter skyscraper downtown and offer them lots of tax breaks and CME group can come to Indy and we would welcome them here with open arms.
Along with any other smart Chicago Business that flees the corruption pit of America
Best of all Indiana has a balanced budget so we can afford massive tax breaks. ILLinois cant.
The Chicago Mercantile Exchange will probably never relocate to Indianapolis. That thought is just a pipe dream. By the way, Indiana has over $38 billion in liabilities and could be facing a $1.3 billion deficit in FY2012...Some of the Republican legislatures like to cover problems with smokes and mirrors, but no state is immune. Indiana has enforced some pretty deep and drastic cuts to a number of services.

http://sunshinereview.org/index.php/...a_state_budget

Old 04-13-2012, 08:15 PM

Quote:
I'm too lazy, but you can dig up the transplantation and retention stats for the two metro areas. I doubt the numbers would lie.

I know that transplantation stats between CA and the PNW were well documented, and quantified, when the PNW was on pins and needles about the Californians "californicating" their region.
I'm glad you have the ability to speak for cities..I didn't know cities could speak and claim to have an "inferiority complex"...you must not be very well traveled, or know what natives actually talk about. I'll tell you now, nobody cares about NYC or LA. Nobody sits around talking about density and whether or not they are as "highly ranked" as LA. Get real..

Old 04-13-2012, 08:17 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,924,801 times
This is getting funny, guys. I have family in Chicago, and I've never ONCE heard them bash Indianapolis, not once. Nor, have I ever heard them mention it. Along with family in the area, come a LOT of acquaintances - never heard any of them bash Indianapolis, either. I think you're living in a dream world...

Another thing, I spend a lot of time in Chicago, and I've never witnessed this "chip on the shoulder." Really, where do you think there is talk about this?? I've been to a lot of parties, work conferences, called on DOZENS of accounts in Chicago, and I've never witnessed anyone bemoaning their lack of status, or comparing Chicago to New York City or LA. Never.

People who are writing this don't really have a clue. The world doesn't exist on the computer, and saying some of these things, doesn't make it true - no matter how much you might want everyone to believe it.

I went so far as to call my brother to ask him why he and his fellow Chicagoans hate Indianapolis, and why they always compare themselves to NYC. He was quite for a few seconds, and then he asked me what the heck I was talking about. I told him, and he started to laugh. Yes, he did.

Old 04-13-2012, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
This is getting funny, guys. I have family in Chicago, and I've never ONCE heard them bash Indianapolis, not once. Nor, have I ever heard them mention it. Along with family in the area, come a LOT of acquaintances - never heard any of them bash Indianapolis, either. I think you're living in a dream world...

Another thing, I spend a lot of time in Chicago, and I've never witnessed this "chip on the shoulder." Really, where do you think there is talk about this?? I've been to a lot of parties, work conferences, called on DOZENS of accounts in Chicago, and I've never witnessed anyone bemoaning their lack of status, or comparing Chicago to New York City or LA. Never.

People who are writing this don't really have a clue. The world doesn't exist on the computer, and saying some of these things, doesn't make it true - no matter how much you might want everyone to believe it.

I went so far as to call my brother to ask him why he and his fellow Chicagoans hate Indianapolis, and why they always compare themselves to NYC. He was quite for a few seconds, and then he asked me what the heck I was talking about. I told him, and he started to laugh. Yes, he did.
This... in the real world...NOBODY CARES...everyone lives their life. The End. Sorry rabble rousers

Old 04-13-2012, 08:46 PM

886 posts, read 1,563,745 times
I think my total visits to Chicago are about 4 that I can remember and I haven't met a soul in Chicago who cared for NYC let alone that suburb LA. I'm from LA and live in Brooklyn now and no Chicagoan cares enough to ask more than "how do you like it there?". People of LA move to Phoenix more than Phoenicians moving to LA, make what you will of this info and wise up. LOL

This site is silly sometimes

Old 04-14-2012, 08:30 PM

2,290 posts, read 3,826,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normcrok8 View Post
For someone not to call Indianapolis a 'city' is beyond foolish. The US Census Bureau defines a city of having at least 2,500 in the city proper. Although I consider a place that small to be a mere hamlet. Nontheless, Indy is definately a city. And if I am not mistaken, the 2010 Census said Indy was the 11th largest city in the country with a population of 829,718 in the city limits. If that dont that dont constitute a city, I dont know what does.
Indianapolis is really just a blob of anonymous sprawl in the middle of Indiana. I can see why Chicagoans are not interested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City