Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 10:37 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,772,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Houston needs some better PR (though could say the same about my home city). When looking at the charts in the link it is amazing how different DFW appears to Hosuton, or is that Austin?

If Austin would love to see the ratings in general of those who have been and have not; overall with places like Seattle, Portland, Austin etc while nice (though I have to be honest Austin seems very over-rated to me but does have some great PR) I wonder if the perception would change?
You think everyone who thinks Portland is awesome has been there? Doubtful, many of them have probably either read the latest Forbes list, read Stuff White People Like, or watched Portlandia on IFC.

I TOTALLY agree that Austin gets too much hype and the media tends to overlook its problems, but I don't buy that a larger number of people who react positively to Austin have never been there; keep in mind it barely cracked the Top 10; Portland & Seattle were 5th and 1st respectively.

The author pointed out that our initial perceptions of cities are grounded in statistical reality. Of course he also mentioned that respondents didn't seem to consider traffic in their reactions (major prob in Austin).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 11:56 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
Boston is in the top 10 TWICE?
He misquoted. Number ten is actually Austin, not Boston.

They should get married and have a kid in the middle. Maybe up in Appalachia.

OH I HOPE IT'S PITTSBURGH!

Old 01-11-2012, 01:09 AM

82 posts, read 128,310 times
Quote:
Before we get to the results, some notes on methodology: I found my survey respondents via Amazon Mechanical Turk, an online labor market designed to allow the completion of tasks that are hard for computers to do but easy for people. Have a lot of photos that need captions? There are respondents on hand, called Turkers, who will complete these tasks for very small amounts of money. Recently, social scientists have realized that MTurk can be an amazing testbed for social experiments, ranging from behavioral economics to network science. It can also be used for surveys.

That said, MTurk is by no means a representative sample, but it can at least give us a starting point for thinking about our questions. So on a scale from one to nine (very negative to very positive), I asked 310 Turkers how favorably they viewed the country's largest metro areas. We then gathered up their responses and looked for patterns.
Another dubious "list". Anyone could randomly poll 100 people and pass it off as an ranking too! Let's leave the polling to professional polling agencies.

Old 01-11-2012, 06:13 AM

139 posts, read 207,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsius View Post
San Francisco, Vancouver BC
Agreed. These are two of my favourites.

Old 01-11-2012, 08:43 AM

27,555 posts, read 28,641,455 times
I think people have a positive reaction to west coast cities mainly because of the scenery and weather. That's understandable.

Old 01-11-2012, 08:47 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I think people have a positive reaction to west coast cities mainly because of the scenery and weather. That's understandable.
I agree this plays in but some ie SF and Seattle are very nice in addition

Certain places will always have more of a lure and others not as much

Old 01-11-2012, 09:23 AM

5,462 posts, read 5,705,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Alot of interesting things here. Take a look at "Top 5 cities by region" for example.

Midwest --- this is the most depressing of the 4 regions. Apparently Midwesterners like at least 5 cities outside the Midwest before some of their own.

Northeast --- The days of sailing ships are long over but apparently Yankees still need to live by the ocean or something.

South --- I can see Austin and Orlando, plus thumbs up to Denver. But I this is the first time I think I heard Southeners were that attracted to the Pacific Northwest??? Nothing wrong with that of course.

West --- the most postive of the 4 regions. At least the top 5 picks are in the West, maybe showing that Westeners are most happy with their region.
You can spin the West answers negatively too. Its the Durf/San Jose homers effect.

Old 01-11-2012, 01:37 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,847,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_Born View Post
Yeah, you're right Montclair, Oakland doesn't have a high crime rate at all. LOL.

And spare us the same old pictures of the minority of Oakland that has mansions for rich people. We've seen you post them dozens of times before to prove that Oakland is not ghetto. But we all know that it is.

Old 01-11-2012, 06:35 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,732,946 times
The Midwest is the most self-loathing region, and the West is the most self-absorbed region.

Old 01-11-2012, 10:49 PM

1,495 posts, read 2,299,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
The Midwest is the most self-loathing region, and the West is the most self-absorbed region.
Yeah, the Midwest is kinda dumped on by everybody. It's a land with a populist heart, plodding along through an era that favors libertarianism, the opposite of populism. There's a great resurgence in the Plains, though, and who knows but what it could spread eastward?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City