Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 12:07 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,861,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Houston needs some better PR (though could say the same about my home city). When looking at the charts in the link it is amazing how different DFW appears to Hosuton, or is that Austin?

If Austin would love to see the ratings in general of those who have been and have not; overall with places like Seattle, Portland, Austin etc while nice (though I have to be honest Austin seems very over-rated to me but does have some great PR) I wonder if the perception would change?
I agree. Though I have never been to Austin from what I have seen it seems to be perceived as a mecca. I just get the feeling it is too good to be true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 12:10 PM

99 posts, read 254,509 times
I'm actually not a Seattle lover. I find the Space Needle overrated and the city to just feel kind of depressing. The setting isn't that impressive either.

Old 01-10-2012, 12:23 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,861,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsius View Post
I'm actually not a Seattle lover. I find the Space Needle overrated and the city to just feel kind of depressing. The setting isn't that impressive either.
Wow what settings do you find impressive?

Old 01-10-2012, 12:26 PM

99 posts, read 254,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Wow what settings do you find impressive?
San Francisco, Vancouver BC

Old 01-10-2012, 12:41 PM

3,121 posts, read 3,096,975 times
I believe The Atlantic caters to the kind of demographic that's just aching to move to those cities.

It's like Beef Lovers magazine announcing that their readers may want to move to Omaha.

Old 01-10-2012, 04:56 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,706,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Denver is not the west.
What do you mean its not the west? Its Not the midwest, Not the south, Not the West coast, Not the northeast, Not the Pacific Northwest. What could it possibly be besides just simply being in the west?

Old 01-10-2012, 07:56 PM

1,717 posts, read 4,651,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsius View Post
San Francisco, Vancouver BC
LOL. As if somehow they are really that different?

SF, Vancouver and Seattle are far more alike than different. Too funny. I'm betting some babe dumped you while you were at the Space Needle.

Old 01-10-2012, 08:32 PM

9,171 posts, read 13,253,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
This is very interesting.

Seattle ranks in the Top 5 of all 4 regions(Midwest, Northeast, South, West) as far as respondents reacting positively to the city when asked in The Atlantic's survey of how people perceive cities(The 50 largest cities to be exact)

Top 5 cities by region(In Alphabetical Order)by most positive reaction:
Midwest: Boston, Denver, Portland, San Diego, Seattle

Northeast: Boston, New York, San Diego, San Francisco, Seattle

South: Austin, Denver, Orlando, Portland, Seattle

West: Denver, Portland, San Diego, San Francisco, Seattle

Link to the Article: Do Rankings Affect Our Opinions of Cities? - Arts & Lifestyle - The Atlantic Cities
Alot of interesting things here. Take a look at "Top 5 cities by region" for example.

Midwest --- this is the most depressing of the 4 regions. Apparently Midwesterners like at least 5 cities outside the Midwest before some of their own.

Northeast --- The days of sailing ships are long over but apparently Yankees still need to live by the ocean or something.

South --- I can see Austin and Orlando, plus thumbs up to Denver. But I this is the first time I think I heard Southeners were that attracted to the Pacific Northwest??? Nothing wrong with that of course.

West --- the most postive of the 4 regions. At least the top 5 picks are in the West, maybe showing that Westeners are most happy with their region.

Old 01-10-2012, 09:36 PM

8,633 posts, read 10,152,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
This is very interesting.

Seattle ranks in the Top 5 of all 4 regions(Midwest, Northeast, South, West) as far as respondents reacting positively to the city when asked in The Atlantic's survey of how people perceive cities(The 50 largest cities to be exact)

Overall Top 10 cities by most positive reaction
1 Seattle
2 Denver
3 San Francisco
4 San Diego
5 Portland
6 New York
7 Boston
8 Orlando
9 Charlotte
10 Boston

Overall Top 10 cities by most negative reaction
1 Detroit
2 Birmingham
3 Cleveland
4 Oklahoma City
5 Cincinnati
6 St Louis
7 Jacksonville
8 Columbus
9 Milwaukee
10 Salt Lake City

Top 5 cities by region(In Alphabetical Order)by most positive reaction:
Midwest: Boston, Denver, Portland, San Diego, Seattle

Northeast: Boston, New York, San Diego, San Francisco, Seattle

South: Austin, Denver, Orlando, Portland, Seattle

West: Denver, Portland, San Diego, San Francisco, Seattle

Link to the Article: Do Rankings Affect Our Opinions of Cities? - Arts & Lifestyle - The Atlantic Cities
Boston is in the top 10 TWICE?

Old 01-10-2012, 09:43 PM

1,854 posts, read 4,923,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Alot of interesting things here. Take a look at "Top 5 cities by region" for example.

Midwest --- this is the most depressing of the 4 regions. Apparently Midwesterners like at least 5 cities outside the Midwest before some of their own.

Northeast --- The days of sailing ships are long over but apparently Yankees still need to live by the ocean or something.

South --- I can see Austin and Orlando, plus thumbs up to Denver. But I this is the first time I think I heard Southeners were that attracted to the Pacific Northwest??? Nothing wrong with that of course.

West --- the most postive of the 4 regions. At least the top 5 picks are in the West, maybe showing that Westeners are most happy with their region.
Duh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City