Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 05:25 PM

515 posts, read 986,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
One quick question...isn't HP based out of the Bay Area?
Yeah, Hewlett Packard is an iconic Silicon Valley company with a deep rooted history in the development of the area as a tech hub. Bill and Dave started building electronic equipment in a garage in 1939, and the rest is history. Their headquarters is still in Palo Alto, and their entire executive team is located there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 05:32 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,949,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Well that's why I was talking about how changes made by high-tax states could adversely affect the Houston's growth. That could potentially be a near-future event which prevents Houston from convincing companies/talent to relocating to the area.

Do you possibly have a link talking about the companies which relocated to Houston? I'd like to see if there were a significant amount of movement from high-tax states.

I have links but it doesn't have what you are looking for. LOL, I was looking for the same myself. And I used incorrect wording it wasn't all relocations it counted relocation and start ups.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Wouldnt global HQs be the HQ to the US HQ. I know Philly has the US HQ for 5 gloabl 100 Cos and numerous global 500/1000s but on here that typically gets po poohed.
The Global Head quarters usually mean the head of operations or where their main corporate offices are. The US head quarters usually means where the US operations are run from. Operations not offices.

I am a bit confused as to what you are asking so I dunno if I answered right.

I hope you are not asking if global head quarters are headquarters to global companies

anywhere US head quarters should not be poo pooed, It is usually where most of the runnings in the US are controlled from. The Global head quarters are where the execs hang out.

Dunno why companies like having two or three headquarters in one country, but for some reason they do.

If you can understand the hierarchy of BBVA Compass please explain it to me.

Old 03-05-2012, 05:32 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,540,085 times
HP's "US Headquarters" are not in Houston, because there is no such thing as a "US headquarters" at HP.

HP has a large operation in Houston at the old Compaq site. It is the "Personal Systems Group" headquarters, if you will. The PSG group is the computer/laptop group. Just like the Enterprise Services group (old EDS) is based in Plano, and the Imaging/Printing group is based in San Diego.

But speaking as a former employee, I can tell you for certain that there is no such thing as a "US headquarters" at HP.

The global HQ is in Palo Alto, and that is where every single top executive (CEO direct reports) sits, with the exception of the lead of the Printers division who is in San Diego.

Old 03-05-2012, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoLA View Post
HP's "US Headquarters" are not in Houston, because there is no such thing as a "US headquarters" at HP.

HP has a large operation in Houston at the old Compaq site. It is the "Personal Systems Group" headquarters, if you will. The PSG group is the computer/laptop group. Just like the Enterprise Services group (old EDS) is based in Plano, and the Imaging/Printing group is based in San Diego.

But speaking as a former employee, I can tell you for certain that there is no such thing as a "US headquarters" at HP.

The global HQ is in Palo Alto, and that is where every single top executive (CEO direct reports) sits, with the exception of the lead of the Printers division who is in San Diego.
Yeah my dad was an employee there for 30 years, there is no "US Headquarters," only the Global Headquarters in Palo Alto - the heart of the company.

Old 03-05-2012, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoLA View Post

you can call it what you want their company profile says their US headquarters are in Harris County.

Hewlett-Packard (NYSE: HPQ) Company Profile | TheFreeResource.com

Compaq - YouTube

Free Games at ROBLOX.com

Watch Compaq Free Online

Workers fall ill at Hewlett-Packard's headquarter facility | abc13.com

Quote:
Hewlett-Packard USA
20555 SH 249
Houston, TX 77070 USA

Phone: (281) 370-0670
Fax: (281) 514-1740

Open 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Central Time, Monday - Friday.
http://welcome.hp.com/country/lameri...dquarters.html

And from Wikipedia:
Quote:
HP's global operations are directed from its headquarters in Palo Alto, California, USA. Its U.S. operations are directed from its facility in unincorporated Harris County, Texas, near Houston. Its Latin America offices in unincorporated Miami-Dade County, Florida, U.S., near Miami and in Medellín Colombia. Its Europe offices are in Meyrin, Switzerland, near Geneva.

Old 03-05-2012, 05:51 PM

Can we get back to the economic prospects now??? Without arguing over stupid terminology from people who thinks things don't exist because they don't know about them.

Old 03-05-2012, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
I don't quite understand your point. The fact is that Hewlett Packard is a Bay Area company, that is where the CEO and executive team is located as well as a significant number of employees.

Old 03-05-2012, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarn View Post
I don't quite understand your point. The fact is that Hewlett Packard is a Bay Area company, that is where the CEO and executive team is located as well as a significant number of employees.
you always disagree just to agree. If you even read my reply to Tmac and Kidphilly you would see that I said the execs are in The Bay area. What exactly are you disagreeing about? The company SAYS the US operations Headquarters are from Harris County Multiple sources also say that. Tell me why do you have to take over thread to disagree over something that is not in dispute?

You just can't stand the fact that Houston also shares a head quarters? Is that it? Did you enjoyed taking up the last page to argue about something that was not in dispute?

My God what would you have done if I had actually said the Corporate Headquarters were in Houston? You would probably send Ninjas after me.

Read sssllllloooowww, before you disagree:
Quote:
The Global Head quarters usually mean the head of operations or where their main corporate offices are. The US head quarters usually means where the US operations are run from. Operations not offices.

Old 03-05-2012, 06:04 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,540,085 times
There is nothing from an HP employee perspective that is run from Houston except for the place that employee laptops are sent to when you get a new one. Seriously.

Old 03-05-2012, 06:07 PM

Quote:
you always disagree just to agree. If you even read my reply to Tmac and Kidphilly you would see that I said the execs are in The Bay area. What exactly are you disagreeing about? The company SAYS the US operations Headquarters are from Harris County Multiple sources also say that. Tell me why do you have to take over thread to disagree over something that is not in dispute?

You just can't stand the fact that Houston also shares a head quarters? Is that it? Did you enjoyed taking up the last page to argue about something that was not in dispute?

My God what would you have done if I had actually said the Corporate Headquarters were in Houston? You would probably send Ninjas after me
That's fine, I understand US Operations are based in Houston. But to suggest that there are "shared headquarters" is not correct. The company's headquarters is in Palo Alto, that is where the decisions are made, not Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City