Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 09:42 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times

Advertisements

Seriously an impressive list though am still amazed by some of the blue sky that exists in many companies

also Netflix is on its way out (probably to be replaced by whatever just went IPO; cant remember)

but am always amazed that companies have assets and revenues far greater than many techs will ever earn yet maintain these huge market caps; not nearly as bad as the 1990s but still wow

Apple also amazes me; would seem to start be a short soon

And ugh SFDC - hate that tool, but more for the amount of time this one takes out every one of my days

But stock prices are what the market bares

still these numbers amaze me
Revenue 4 Billion (profit less) and market cap of 20 Billion with few tangible assets (though some less tangible assets)

Tech is still the darling

Then a company like Chevron or even Mckesson - there parts are worth more than 20 years profit of these cos. Market price is an interesting dynamic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 10:00 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,689,925 times
Best long-term economic prospects? IMO it would go like this.

1. San Fran
2. Houston
3. Boston

In our life time at least. If Houston doesn't fall from grace (which it is prone to do like every city in the world) then I would say.

1. Houston
2. San Fran
3. Boston

It all depends how well Houston can weather the effects of time which no city has ever managed to do.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:12 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by couldntthinkofaclevername View Post
That's because the Sunbelt and West Coast were and still are the darlings of post-war, suburban oriented society. Boston isn't a fad and nobody's going to move there to get that Americana or that suburban, post-war aspect those cities that poached companies from the East Coast have. Therefore, when people's tastes change, Boston will be a lot better off because they did okay even when everybody wanted to move out West or to the Sunbelt.
You are like a broken record and you seem jealous that the sunbelt and west coast are growing. Newsflash, the northeast is not the only region that can see success im this cou.try. BTW, that fad about the sunbelt is going on six decades now. Seems like a pretty healthy fad.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:12 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Seriously an impressive list though am still amazed by some of the blue sky that exists in many companies

also Netflix is on its way out (probably to be replaced by whatever just went IPO; cant remember)

but am always amazed that companies have assets and revenues far greater than many techs will ever earn yet maintain these huge market caps; not nearly as bad as the 1990s but still wow

Apple also amazes me; would seem to start be a short soon

And ugh SFDC - hate that tool, but more for the amount of time this one takes out every one of my days

But stock prices are what the market bares

still these numbers amaze me
Revenue 4 Billion (profit less) and market cap of 20 Billion with few tangible assets (though some less tangible assets)

Tech is still the darling

Then a company like Chevron or even Mckesson - there parts are worth more than 20 years profit of these cos. Market price is an interesting dynamic
Yes, in the market one day your in, and the next day your all washed up.

Which is why I personally place a higher value in brick and mortar companies like the Wells Fargos and Chevrons of the world.

And your right, tech is the darling de jour. I think that what matters most tho is staying relevant.

Im just glad my parents listened to me when I told them to buy Apple stock in 1986 and they never got rid of it.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:20 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,933,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Yes, in the market one day your in, and the next day your all washed up.

Which is why I personally place a higher value in brick and mortar companies like the Wells Fargos and Chevrons of the world.
I agree. Those have been riding high for many years now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City