Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 12:16 AM

422 posts, read 815,722 times

Advertisements

Great point!

By 2015, over 40k jobs paying $100k plus will be created I the Bay Area. More than 60% will be occupied by someone outside of the US. The level of education/skill set needed to occupy the majority of jobs doesn't exist in the US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
The way the world is going faster and faster towards a knowledge based economy and technology becoming and often replacing many facets of our lives, I'd have to say the Bay Area... and not necessarily by anything home grown. People often say that tech/innovation can be outsourced... well not with such control, and not if H1B visa status remains in place and they are still able to attract foreign PhD's to work at the likes of Google and Apple. It's kind of a double edged sword.
That is why you see stats like the Bay Area having all these extremely rich 200k+ tax bracket ethnic groups.
There are nerds sitting around coding in China and Ukraine dreaming of moving to Silicon Valley.
It has even shifted many law students interests into Patent Law...when that seemed for many extremely boring just a couple decades ago, now it's quite lucrative especially for those with an MS Eng/JD or other combinations. MBA programs are targeting VC based business practices as well.
/end post sounding like a Bay Area booster, but I'm afraid it's quite true folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 06:43 AM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I wouldn't go by CSA either unless you go by CSA for everything else as well--the CSA includes too much, but the MSA designation separates the South Bay from SF and East Bay which is ridiculous. Santa Cruz especially is a stretch since it's the only MSA in your list that doesn't actually touch the bay (that bay being the whole reason it's called the Bay Area).

I think people think the Bay Area is pretty much just SF, South Bay, and East Bay (and often North Bay to complete the ring and since it's a bit like the affluent countryside for the rest of the Bay) is because a lot of these people have lived or currently live there. The Bay Area is a very tangible entity to them even if the census bureau has a CSA that overstretches it or a MSA that cuts it up.

Anyhow, for the purposes of this thread, I think it's reasonable to consider the integral parts of the Bay Area as one and to chuck the relatively small and lesser connected MSAs out.
'Often' the North Bay?

The North Bay is just as much a part of the Bay Area as the South Bay or East Bay or Peninsula. The fact that their population is scarce by comparison is totally irrelevant.

Old 03-05-2012, 06:47 AM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 75 South View Post
Great point!
The level of education/skill set needed to occupy the majority of jobs doesn't exist in the US.
Ive often heard this and don't buy it for one second.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:36 AM

515 posts, read 986,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
I NEVER said SF and SJ are not in the same media market. I said the BAY is NOT one media Market. And like I said YOU don't know what you are talking about because YOU seem to think the Bay is two metro areas. Last I checked it was 6.

shows you how much you know.

all of these are in the BAY area:
Santa Rosa-Petaluma, CA MSA
Vallejo-Fairfield, CA MSA
Santa Cruz-Watsonville, CA MSA
Napa, CA MSA

what do you have to say for yourself now Mr Know it all? You don't even know what people are talking about yet want to jump down peoples throats telling them they don't know anything but just showing your ignorance instead.

Edit: I see he got quiet. He Didn't realize that Part of the Bay area is in the Monterrey/Salinas Media Market and the Sacramento Markets. I dunno why people think the Bay are is just SJ and SF?? The Bay area is a lot ore than just that.
I think you can tone down the hostility, and frankly I am well aware that the Bay Area is highly fragmented by the census bureau's MSA classification. That said, I maintain that the Bay Area is one media market. No part of the Bay Area is in the Sacramento media market. Perhaps some exurban areas around Fairfield may pick up some Sacramento stations, however, Fairfield is included in the Bay Area media market.

San Francisco-Oakland-Fremont, CA MSA - SF/ SJ Bay Area media market
San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara, CA MSA - SF/ SJ Bay Area media market
Santa Rosa-Petaluma, CA MSA - SF/ SJ Bay Area media market
Vallejo-Fairfield, CA MSA - SF/ SJ Bay Area media market
Napa, CA MSA - SF/ SJ Bay Area media market
Santa Cruz-Watsonville, CA MSA - Central Coast media market - and most people outside of the census bureau don't really consider these areas part of the Bay Area, particularly those that live in Santa Cruz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler
I wouldn't go by CSA either unless you go by CSA for everything else as well--the CSA includes too much, but the MSA designation separates the South Bay from SF and East Bay which is ridiculous. Santa Cruz especially is a stretch since it's the only MSA in your list that doesn't actually touch the bay (that bay being the whole reason it's called the Bay Area).

I think people think the Bay Area is pretty much just SF, South Bay, and East Bay (and often North Bay to complete the ring and since it's a bit like the affluent countryside for the rest of the Bay) is because a lot of these people have lived or currently live there. The Bay Area is a very tangible entity to them even if the census bureau has a CSA that overstretches it or a MSA that cuts it up.
^^ I think this is a fairly accurate description.

The point I'm making is that with the media markets, is that for all intents and purposes the Bay Area functions as a contiguous, interconnected urban region - dare I say, metropolitan area.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:44 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarn View Post
+
That said, I maintain that the Bay Area is one media market. No part of the Bay Area is in the Sacramento media market. .
You can go on disagreeing for as long as you like, even though you are wrong, because it doesn't really matter. It has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:51 AM

515 posts, read 986,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
You can go on disagreeing for as long as you like, even though you are wrong, because it doesn't really matter. It has nothing to do with the topic at hand.
How am I wrong? What parts of the Bay Area are not served by the San Francisco / San Jose media market? Aside from Santa Cruz, can you name specific places?

Edit: The map below corroborates my statement that the Bay Area is a single media market (Bay Area counties shown in ivory color on the west coast):

Last edited by sbarn; 03-05-2012 at 11:26 AM..

Old 03-05-2012, 12:44 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
^ That map also shows Northern Maine as a Canadian Market, Does that mean Northern maine is in Canada?

Old 03-05-2012, 12:52 PM

90 posts, read 94,885 times
Ok, enough with this talk. It's pretty clear that San Jose is part of the Bay Area because the freakin' FEDERAL GOVERNMENT defined it that way through the CSA designation. I've actually only seen a few posters argue against it. If you don't like it, that's fine, but please, this has little bearing to do with the topic at hand because it speaks NOTHING about the status of the economies of these three urban regions as a whole.

If San Jose wasn't part of the Bay Area, it still wouldn't change the fact that the SF region as a whole still has a huge chunk of the technology in the US. It's really indisputable. Arguing over something as petty as borders when it's been established what is what already means that there really is no argument.

Old 03-05-2012, 12:59 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Ive often heard this and don't buy it for one second.
The level of education is just as high in the U.S. but they can pay relatively less to somebody on H1B with the same credentials. The U.S. tech workers often move into management positions to compensate as it pays more than software engineering once you hit a certain threshold. The management positions for foreigners however, are more elusive than the engineering jobs.

Old 03-05-2012, 01:40 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,891,246 times
San Jose is definitely part of a single urban area focused around the San Francisco bay. This nonsense about census bureau peculiarities is a distraction.

As to the question, I think all three cities will continue to excel. Houston has successfully made the jump from a resource extraction dominated economy to a diverse, knowledge economy, Boston is on the verge of something that will rival the great Route 128 days of Wang and DEC, only this time it's pharmaceuticals rather than mini computers, and San Francisco will continue to be the center of consumer technologies. All will thrive, though each has potential difficulties to manage:
  • Houston: a significant source of growth derives from in-migration. If this slows or stops, there will be some speed bumps
  • Boston: something needs to be done about college tuition and health care costs increasing at a radically higher pace than general inflation. Both represent large elements of the economy, disruption to the current status quo will bring with it some hiccoughs.
  • SF Bay: the poster child for Silicone Valley succeeds by wrapping existing technology in pretty packages. This works for Apple, but ultimately it is not real innovation. If the region tilts more in the direction of product design and marketing and away from the core research and engineering, off shoring becomes a real possibility, especially if we don't straighten out our ridiculous immigration laws.

I expect all will whether these potential issues, because all three are dedicated to doing what it takes to maintain a certain level of success, and all three have a critical mass of gray matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City