Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Gang Capital of the United States?
Chicago 157 50.97%
Los Angeles 151 49.03%
Voters: 308. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 06:10 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,935,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
About a few months ago GD's were coming at the rapper rick ross, making videos on youtube and what not. And the funny part about that was, None of the GD's who were threatening him were from Chicago or even the Midwest. They were all from the South and they even had some from Cali.

GD's outnumber bloods and crips in alot of places in the South Too. Only reason why bloods are so big is b/c of hollywood and Lil wayne and Waka Flocka and other rappers.
In regards 2 the Rick Ross shooting, what happened 2 him was a rarity in South Florida. Black Disciples and Gangsta Disciples aren't prominent in black South Florida neighborhoods. Hispanic neighborhoods/gangs in South Florida are more influenced by Chicago gangs than the black neighborhoods, esp. because of gangs like Latin Kings, YLO, ect. Most VIOLENT(keyword) black gangs in South Florida are homegrown neighborhood cliques, some of which have become nationally known(Zoe Pound). Some suspect the Rick Ross shooting might have even been staged. 50 cent threw that accusation.

Old 07-08-2013, 08:37 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,310,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by git45 View Post
LA's crime is the lowest since the 50's. It just has to deal with its smog and homelessness obstacles. Chicago seems worse than it was when I grew up near there in the 90's.
Chicago as a whole has gotten better since the 90's....

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
In regards 2 the Rick Ross shooting, what happened 2 him was a rarity in South Florida. Black Disciples and Gangsta Disciples aren't prominent in black South Florida neighborhoods. Hispanic neighborhoods/gangs in South Florida are more influenced by Chicago gangs than the black neighborhoods, esp. because of gangs like Latin Kings, YLO, ect. Most VIOLENT(keyword) black gangs in South Florida are homegrown neighborhood cliques, some of which have become nationally known(Zoe Pound). Some suspect the Rick Ross shooting might have even been staged. 50 cent threw that accusation.
I was mostly talking about the videos that they were posting on all over youtube talking about how he needed to "cut the check" lol. THey're all over youtube.

As far as the shooting, I dont think GD's had anything to do with that shooting. Don't know if it was staged or not, thats hard to tell but I dont think he got hit at all which seems fishy (not that thats a bad thing)

Old 07-08-2013, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
Chicago as a whole has gotten better since the 90's....

I was mostly talking about the videos that they were posting on all over youtube talking about how he needed to "cut the check" lol. THey're all over youtube.

As far as the shooting, I dont think GD's had anything to do with that shooting. Don't know if it was staged or not, thats hard to tell but I dont think he got hit at all which seems fishy (not that thats a bad thing)
OH YEAH, I've seen many of those vids. And they do mostly come from the south.

Old 07-10-2013, 01:42 AM

96 posts, read 245,447 times
Los Angeles isn't pretty, but Chicago is one scary city (South & West sides especially). I think your odds of making it out of Chicago hoods alive are far less favorable than in LA or even Detroit or St. Louis. There are so many crews who have the blocks locked down, it's terrifying...Even the Chicago PD is far beyond crooked, and probably the biggest gang out there. I think there was a new survey of the 20 most dangerous neighborhoods in the country, and Chicago had like 5 in the Top 10...My vote goes to Tha Go. Their gangs seem more well-organized and have a bit of a longer reach. They just aren't famous.

Old 07-10-2013, 01:46 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,557,244 times
IDK - but when I was in Vegas and meeting people from everywhere, LA peeps were the coolest :-)

Old 07-10-2013, 01:47 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,557,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIBЄ View Post
Los Angeles isn't pretty, but Chicago is one scary city (South & West sides especially). I think your odds of making it out of Chicago hoods alive are far less favorable than in LA or even Detroit or St. Louis. There are so many crews who have the blocks locked down, it's terrifying...Even the Chicago PD is far beyond crooked, and probably the biggest gang out there. I think there was a new survey of the 20 most dangerous neighborhoods in the country, and Chicago had like 5 in the Top 10...My vote goes to Tha Go. Their gangs seem more well-organized and have a bit of a longer reach. They just aren't famous.
LAPD is horribly corrupt and has been for decades...........

Old 07-14-2013, 10:48 AM

6 posts, read 12,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATUMRE75 View Post
I think Chicago and L.A are well known through out the entire united states. Chicago game culture being watered down is a joke. L.A game culture has been watered down to mainly hispanics only. L.A is only more recognized because of Hollywood. Go to Memphis, Little Rock, or Birmingham AL and you will see GDs and Vice Lords everywhere.
Yea I worded that wrong, not watered down, just appears that way when compared to LA.

Old 07-14-2013, 02:25 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shEqn_6UfQ8

Old 11-12-2013, 08:58 AM

1,564 posts, read 1,670,379 times
Both cities are ran by gangs ,but Cali gangs have more of a presence nationwide including countries around the world like Europe,Africa & china emulating bloods & crips......

Far as gangs go today Chicago is going through a situation L.A gangs did in the 90"s......the population of blacks out west is not the same back east that's why there's more crime......back in the war years when blacks had a big population LA was the worst and the influence can even be seen in Chicago today with a few blood sets and sureno placing a foot down in certain areas in Illinois .....

And the gds out west don't have a hood,they're under the order of the crips or they're working as community peace makers.....gds don't bang at all in Cali......

Give Chicago credit for staying true to their roots but the FBI still has LA as gang capital ,it's just the action has spread to the prisons because a lot of blacks moved out after the LA riots......

Old 11-12-2013, 09:08 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,189,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIBЄ View Post
Well if you take out the west/south areas with the crime than Chicago is the last thing from "scary". If you're not in a gang you can easily make it out of the hood alive, just like the 85% of people living in those areas who aren't in a gang do every day when they go to work and the store. I know a lot of people working in the worst hit areas at schools, community programs and senior centers. They're all normal people like anyone else and although they're careful down there, they're hardly AFRAID. 80% of the crime is young black on black, "gang" vs "gang" crime. They don't really care about your average joe most of the time - although things certainly do happen to the innocent.

I say "gang" cause it's gotten to the point where the authorities have taken out so much of the leadership of the old school gangs that you're looking now at what's become hundreds of little factions of youngsters who are trying for "power" and have no leadership. They're just kids running from block to block at night shooting "rival" gangmembers who really just happen to be kids living on a different block. I've seen enough documentaries with these kids where they all kinda say they don't know they they're doing it or what the end game is. They're all just paranoid and hiding behind this mask of standing up for yourself. They know at any moment another "rival" gang member might shoot them, so they try to shoot first.

Aside all the attention it gets, it's certainly gotten better overall. Shootings and murders are down 50% from the bad 90's, and even 25% from just the past 1-5 years. Until they get all these stupid kids in line who are shooting each other for no reason then they can't have peace in these areas. Of the 200,000 population drop in the city though, almost all of it was in these areas, with well over half of it being black people aged 0-19. It's interesting to see how the dynamics are going to change. I would hope in the next 5 years or so we can weed through this new mess of leaderless "gangs" that have gone from 50 factions to 150 neigbhorhood block factions and have things quiet down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City