Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Gang Capital of the United States?
Chicago 157 50.97%
Los Angeles 151 49.03%
Voters: 308. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 10:54 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mista G Nerd View Post
This more ore less what I thought as well due to all the movies.

You still don't seem to understand what i'm saying. Your key points.

1) It gets covered because the President is a former resident.
2) It is statistically more likely to be violent because it is non white, thus white neighborhoods get more coverage.
3) Everywhere in America it's black on black youth, so who really cares. It's nothing new. Nobody is burying their heads they just don't care.
4) The crime rate is covered enough.

My points i've been trying to get across.

1) Should be getting coverage regardless of the President's residency. Prior to Obama's election it was less publicized, but now it's being used to fuel political rivalries. The coverage is likely to die down drastically when Obama's term is over.
2) Throw statistics out the window. It's should be about the victims and the perpetrators. I bet you can throw statistics at me all day, but you don't know which gangs are involved in which shootings or who died. When a life is taken it's a tragedy, doesn't matter who it is.
3) Honestly I felt sorry when i read this. Who cares? They're just blacks. I'm not sure if you realize but Chicago is heavily segregated on account of it being an early American metropolis. Basically it is composed of ethnic enclaves. I can guarantee that is not just black on black. It's basically every man for himself.
4) Again, throw statistics out. I'm not talking about crime rate.

P.S. I don't expect there to be a biography on every life that is lost, on the news. A segment of that nature would run 24/7.
Around 75% to 80% of murder victims in the city have prior arrest records with the CPD. The ones that make the news are the relatively few innocent victims, not the young people who go around shooting each other for no reason and then every once in awhile one of them dies. They were a victim of that crime and more than likely the perpetrator of many more. One kid this week who got shot has been shot THREE times already this year.

When the people in the neighborhood won't say a word about who's doing the crime and when a majority of shooting victims who survive offer absolutely no help to the police about who shot them and are uncooperative then people start feeling as sorry as they do in "normal" society.

As far as the "I can guarantee that is not just black on black. It's basically every man for himself" I guess I don't know what you mean exactly. So far this year 80% of the murder victims are black, and almost without fail it was black on black crime. Whites are around 2% of the shooting victims and Hispanics around 18%.

Not trying to talk race in all this, but you brought it up so I'm just responding with some simple observations. This is 2013 - the segregation in Chicago is basically segregation based on violence in neighborhoods and economics/poverty. It's not 1950, I don't know people who really give a crap about the hue of someone's skin. These days the cultures that happen to run with races and the situation in certain groups/communities are being glossed over and we just stick with the good ole fashion "the city is segregated because whites are racist against blacks".

Old 11-15-2013, 03:41 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,920,736 times
I think Los Angeles probably has more international organized crime like the Mexican drug cartels, the Chinese Triads, and the Russian Mafia.

Chicago does have Obama's union thugs and various black gangs.

Old 11-15-2013, 03:47 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I think Los Angeles probably has more international organized crime like the Mexican drug cartels, the Chinese Triads, and the Russian Mafia.

What does that even mean? Obama never had any part in the Chicago machine/corruption. He's on a different level as far as who he works with.

Old 11-15-2013, 07:32 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,310,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post

truth is chicago is one of the Cartels Main hot spots in America.

Old 11-27-2013, 03:57 AM

3 posts, read 4,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VX-Nefarious View Post
It depends, there are many reasons

Just for fun
For protection
for the fame
to gain "family"
for the money
for the girls(guys if you're a girl)
for the drugs
because that is the thing to do
because the gang made you join
because your family is gang related
because the only roll models you have are gang members

I've known some that do it just for fun, guess most will never understand until they take that journey, a strange interesting journey, that can end very bad, or not.

The way it works is, people usually don't sit there and make the conscious decision to join a gang. It's a lot more suttle. Your kinda just born into it, since when you were a little kid, you had friends and your friends became your crew, some might have older brothers gang banging or even fathers and mothers. It's actually a very natural process of growing up to join a neighborhood gang, or like back in the 1950s and "club". Whats unnatural is the fact that these neighborhood "clubs" are no longer owned by the neighborhood itself but owned by prison gangs who in turn are money motivated and very inhuman, cold, selfish, and just all bad...On the east coast I always thought the OGs in ny understood more, they know what time it is and understand whats truly important, and genuinely try to guide the youngstas appropriately, tell them and teach them things that serve THEIR best interests and not yours. On the west coast or at least in CA, the only knowledge that's taught to the peewees is knowledge that will financially benefit the shot callers of that gang or the person telling the kids. That's not acceptable behavior coming from a so called "OG", there suppose to be our modern day philosophers or wise men, the ones we go to for advice and insight, but really there just little kids who managed to not get killed long enough to "get the keys" while in jail. Its like sick jacken said on 2 sides 2 every story "Inherit these wars and enemies without having a chance ta, really think about the beef, and if its something he stands for, the sickness is spreading like cancer, you can go to japan and see the gang bang style that we've mastered.

Old 11-27-2013, 04:06 AM

One last note regarding the California gang ****...Theres a lot of gangs in CA now that started as a street gang but are no longer a gang, they have evolved into organizations. More focused on the financial parts, and take orders from prison gangs so naturally the prison politics are leaking out into the streets, the prison way of doing business will become the street way of doing businesss, which means no standing on the corner no more throwing up gang signs and painting walls n ****, some even given up the concept of territory and turf and have followed the Asians form of gang banging, become completely non territorial and highly transient or mobile

Old 11-27-2013, 04:24 AM

2,341 posts, read 3,596,140 times
If this were the 80's or 90's, I'd say L.A., but it's been almost 14 years since the 90's ended and L.A. is a very different animal today, so I'm going to go with Chicago.

Just to be clear though, I'd say that these days cities like Memphis, Detroit, and possibly St. Louis are more deserving of the "gang capitol" reputation than L.A. or Chicago. At least in the traditional street gang sense.

Old 12-11-2013, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
If this were the 80's or 90's, I'd say L.A., but it's been almost 14 years since the 90's ended and L.A. is a very different animal today, so I'm going to go with Chicago.

Just to be clear though, I'd say that these days cities like Memphis, Detroit, and possibly St. Louis are more deserving of the "gang capitol" reputation than L.A. or Chicago. At least in the traditional street gang sense.
You can look at it from any angle you want, You can read off crime statistics, murder rates etc etc, fact is California will always hold the title for the gang ****, and that's because of Californias history and how every gang after the crips, born in America is influenced and to be honest every gang after the crips have adopted the style of gang banging we see today. Chicago will never evolve from the street corner, just the way it works out there, their a very neighborhood city so the fighting over little patches of turf, which we call baby gangster business, will be the only platform they'll operate on. Maybe a few individuals will graduate I know the chi west gang and c notes from what ive heard but im too sure about that..Anyway the rest of united states is so far behind than California on the gang tip, that don't mean cali is the toughest, who gives a **** that's something that will never be determined. All you can really say about the Chicago vs California thing is that every gang Chicago has sent to California goes to jail and they have to join a California prison gang in order to operate like the black p stones had to join the California blood car, and latin kings in LA had to join the La Eme car to continue living. In norcal where I happen to be from the satans disciples operate a very small portion of a very small town, whch is because the Nortenos allow them too, but once those SDs go to the pen, they are gonna have to choose. Keep in mind whe they join a car in prison there loyalty is not to there ogs in Chicago, they've been stolen from them and now belong to the califoria prison gangs. Chi town has people and folk but even that ****s all ****ed up, the ms13s the sur13s the nortenos they operate in chi, but I will admit there barley holding on by a thread, I think the nortes are coo wit the lk's but im not sure if theredown with any people folk ****, but im sure once in jail they will have to choose...anyway see wut I mean impossible to say but who gives a **** anyway, my advice to them "mobs" in chi town is eveolve my *****s, **** that street corner. You gonna kill loose loved ones do time in the pen all for what? a piece of land that's not really yours anyway? any white man with a suit and tie working for the bank, could come in cut you a check and tell you bounce or jack up the rent force everyone out, fence off the community beef up police patrols, change the name of the streets to rainbow love street, so all that noise you made, all that work u put in, all them homies u buried, NONE OF IT means **** all for nothing evolve

Old 12-12-2013, 12:42 AM

605 posts, read 1,165,537 times
I voted for Chicago. I live in Los Angeles. The national discourse over the past few years has been all about Chicago and their violence and gang issues. Los Angeles, like NYC, is having record low crime rates. I just feel like the gangs have grown weaker, and the "big business" has moved south of the border, or requires less street fighting, perhaps because certain gangs have reached a monopoly or a good enough strangle on the market.

Old 12-12-2013, 04:21 AM

148 posts, read 238,840 times
Default to gangbang in chicagoland

ohhh this topic. beaten to death... but ill just say, I feel its Chicago, not just because i live here and born n raised, but because i have been to LA, i have family there and friends. And they tell me overall gang related crime is decreasing. As for here in chicago, first its really really cyclical. As soon as the first warm weather comes, the murders rise. Not tyring to glorify this whatsover, but when the first lady comes to visit the family of Haidya Pendleton, thats high enough profile for me to take the hint , Chicago truly has a dyed in the wool, hard to treat, hard to spot, hardcore gang problem. Dates back to the orginal gangters in chicago of the roaring 20s with the most popular, glamorized by LA hollywood.

Miami 80s scarface... hold on. Al pacinos character was based upon a mercenary for hire that came over in the cuban boatlift, but really was a hardened hitman with ties to chicago Latino gangs.

Even the white, the educated, the buisness owners, the legitamate, here in chicago knew someone either in their family, their neighbor or a friend of a friend who either banged or had affiliation with a gang member at some point. I maybe overspeaking to that point, but once a friend downloaded this app so he could turn his smartphone into a police scanner just to see how bad it really is on a warm summer night. We went for a ride down through 290 the west side down the dan ryan. There was a call over the scanner for a burglary or tresspass every 15-20. Robbery or assault every 30. Shooting every 30 mins to an hour, and a capital crime every other hour. The tv news only reports 30% of the volume of reported crime. For those affected living in those communities their reality is a harsh one. Such a tough thing to accept in AMERICA, and in Chicago, one of the best cities in the nation to live middle class.

I had taken a secondary cash pay delivery job at night. Even though im on the northside deliveing in uptown, everytime i go out and deliever, i hear ambulances or police activity or hear the helicopter above. I ask the older people who have worked in the restaurant for a long time. I ask them if chicago has gotten better or worse with gangs. They all say worse. Much worse. My own family, my dad moved away from the city when our own house was robbed in 1990. The neighbor a couple of houses down said some gang members cased our house becuase it was the newest constructed one. They took all our electronic stuff, but eventually got caught burglarizing another residence.

My best friend in h.s. in the suburbs had gang ties with friends that banged in the city. He was loyal to four corner hustlers. My friend was white. From all places Northbrook, a rich suburb far away from any gang activity.

The younger black guys hate the steryotype of being uneducated and greedy. So they take it upon themselves to rob the white ppl on the northside redline cta riders of their smartphones. Or play knock 'em out. Or so it would seem that way. The prejudice a minority man faces is still apparent and like it or not plays a factor. As is the steryotypes of the angry black woman on the evening news condeming yet another shooting of one of her family members that was in retaliation for something else. guilt by assosciation. and they dont mess around. they retaliated with an ak47... All the while the white irish cops turn their noses, look the other way and figure that the gangmembers will just kill each other. Its like they dont care.

Its so hot the police are trying new techniques to reach out and contact friends or family of deceased victims on the anniversary of their death as to anticipate retaliation. Alot of the killings are over retaliation. and not neccessarily drug related.

Humans by nature when pushed to the limit, they will do what they must to survive. When youre living in the west and south sides and you know quite well your alderman/congressman is crooked as hell, theres a sense of lawlessness that prevails, that you must hustle for yourself. That you must do what you can to help your family becuase theres nobody else that will, or no money in the local government to enact real community change. To give those underpriveledged the opportunity to provide for themself.

Even the police themselves are targets of constituents ire, upset about the massive settlements over civil rights violation lawsuits. millions awarded, and then get this, funded by future bonds purchased by the city with high interest rates so that even more future generations can help foot the bill of past mistakes by the poilce. its like the gift that keeps on giving..

I knew an italian/canadian girl once that finally got straight, had kids and married and moved to west coast. I remember talking through some common friends between them and asked if theyd ever guess that my old gf banged, and she did. So did her brother, and her cousin. Crazy thing is shes totally a professional, an internet sales manager for a major transporation firm, she voulunteers at the local pet hospital, and has an incredible sense of fashion and style. Most of my other friends on fb in my car clubs are the same way. Their brother, their sister, or themself banged at one point or was sympathetic. Its got some local buzz in the media questioning exactly how pervasive gangs and gang life is in chicago. I had read the series in the tribune, and it was spot on. Without a family or means of protection, ganglife prevails, a virus of the community. My bff from hs now has 2 kids and a stay at home mom, running her internet custom jewelry buisness from home. I wish i could post her success story. But for sure, chicago girls are fighters. Its like they have to be tough or the neighborhood will swallow them.

what about the biker gangs? Chicago outlaws and LA hells angels? both also having deep roots in their own respective cities....

Ganglife is a hot lifestyle but usually ends up in a bad way. My ex gf's younger cousin danny boy, she called him "d baby" didnt make it out of the hood. he was just 21......

We both have reps comin from each city. If yer LA yer wild. If you stay CHI your dishonest and violent. I hope this changes. When i went to autralia to visit, first question they asked is if everyone really has access to a gun here.... That says so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City