Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Gang Capital of the United States?
Chicago 157 50.97%
Los Angeles 151 49.03%
Voters: 308. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 07:33 AM

1,512 posts, read 2,363,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mista G Nerd View Post
It's crazy how the city just sweeps everything under the rug. Besides the weekly 25 people wounded by gunshot on the south side this weekend. You probably wouldn't ever hear about it outside chicago. They literally take an active role to limit the media attention. Chicago has alot of native supergangs operating nationally. I grew up thinking oh this gang runs pilsen, little village, englewood, lawndale, etc. It's like a little bubble, and nothing else exists. I would have never known it was as large of a nationwide problem without research.

Most of this is because media shows us that outside it's mostly L.A gangs, which is far from the truth. So many movies about the bloods and crips. I thought that's all there was. We did get some attention from the Chicago Code, but of the many stipulations they were forced to use fake gang and street names. Outside of this all I hear about is statistics.

I feel the attitude is to keep media attention as low as possible and let them kill each other, it'll be gentrified soon. Of course i'm probably biased.
The media does focus on Chicago's crime problem. Chicago is used as a way to attack the president since Obama was affiliated with Chicago. People would say something like "Chicago is a gang-infested Obamaville. Therefore, he's not fit for president." Something along those lines. I believe Texas got the same attention when Bush was president.

Old 11-14-2013, 12:24 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHomunculus View Post
The media does focus on Chicago's crime problem. Chicago is used as a way to attack the president since Obama was affiliated with Chicago. People would say something like "Chicago is a gang-infested Obamaville. Therefore, he's not fit for president." Something along those lines. I believe Texas got the same attention when Bush was president.
Yes, since Obama has been president and especially in the past two years Chicago has gotten a great deal of attention for violence. Pound for pound it seems to get more media time than most other cities if you take incidents and population. I always see "highest murder rate in the country" and "record murder rate", both of which are very very far from the truth. There hasn't been a record anything with Chicago crime in about 20 years. Shootings and murders are their lowest levels in many decades, since the 60's, but you'd never think that.

Old 11-14-2013, 01:55 PM

12 posts, read 21,310 times
Quote:
That's not what i'm talking about, that's mudslinging. I'm talking about the 700+ schoolchildren shot in Chicago 2010, but Sandy Hook gets national attention because it's a white neighborhood. I'm talking about the many bystanders that get shot when a gang member targets another, but Hadiya Pendleton gets national attention because she performed for the President.

I'm talking about this Englewood gas station shooting: 1 dead, 1 wounded near 59th, Halsted | abc7chicago.com

Names not released, gang related but we don't know which ones, and statistics on other shootings. Really? I can understand the names not being released, but really? Wow they got a whole 1:12 minute segment.

When we do see gangs outside of the news, it's in movies and lets be honest it's mostly Californian gangs. The only time Chicago is covered is if it's prohibition era.

That is what I meant by media not being focused on the crime problem. When a life is taken it's tragedy. I'm not saying make it the focus of all media, but burying your head in the sand and stating the occasional statistics casually isn't good either. Which is why I feel there is a deliberate attempt at keeping quiet.

Old 11-14-2013, 09:17 PM

Quote:
That's not what i'm talking about, that's mudslinging. I'm talking about the 700+ schoolchildren shot in Chicago 2010, but Sandy Hook gets national attention because it's a white neighborhood. I'm talking about the many bystanders that get shot when a gang member targets another, but Hadiya Pendleton gets national attention because she performed for the President.

I'm talking about this Englewood gas station shooting: 1 dead, 1 wounded near 59th, Halsted | abc7chicago.com

Names not released, gang related but we don't know which ones, and statistics on other shootings. Really? I can understand the names not being released, but really? Wow they got a whole 1:12 minute segment.

When we do see gangs outside of the news, it's in movies and lets be honest it's mostly Californian gangs. The only time Chicago is covered is if it's prohibition era.

That is what I meant by media not being focused on the crime problem. When a life is taken it's tragedy. I'm not saying make it the focus of all media, but burying your head in the sand and stating the occasional statistics casually isn't good either. Which is why I feel there is a deliberate attempt at keeping quiet.
But I'm saying that Chicago DOES get covered when it comes to shootings and even more so because Obama's previous relationship with the city. You think the media hasn't talked about the +500 murders in 2012? Also, this might sound harsh, but the reason that a shooting in a white neighborhood might get more coverage is because statistically, it doesn't happen as often compared to a black neighborhood. It's not only Chicago, but in every city in America there is young black kids on the hunt for other young black kids. Basically, people look at shootings in black neighborhood as "what else is new?" Nobody is burying their heads. The media has provided enough coverage on it and I'm surprised that you think Chicago's crime rate is somehow covered up.

Old 11-14-2013, 09:53 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,480,960 times
I know this sounds stupid but I always thought of L.A as gang capital due to all the movies taking place there, in South Central L.A. I thought L.A was full of gangs all over the place.. lol...I never heard of Chicago and gangs just about how AL Capone ruled the streets once.

I used to picture L.A on hot summer days with Latin or black guys wearing white tank tops and arms full of tattoos and too big pants with a gun tucked in thier back pocket..haha Thanks Hollywood.

Last edited by glass_of_merlot; 11-14-2013 at 10:04 PM..

Old 11-14-2013, 11:27 PM

281 posts, read 472,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I know this sounds stupid but I always thought of L.A as gang capital due to all the movies taking place there, in South Central L.A. I thought L.A was full of gangs all over the place.. lol...I never heard of Chicago and gangs just about how AL Capone ruled the streets once.

I used to picture L.A on hot summer days with Latin or black guys wearing white tank tops and arms full of tattoos and too big pants with a gun tucked in thier back pocket..haha Thanks Hollywood.
Those days are long gone

Old 11-15-2013, 02:56 AM

12 posts, read 21,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post

This more ore less what I thought as well due to all the movies.

Quote:
But I'm saying that Chicago DOES get covered when it comes to shootings and even more so because Obama's previous relationship with the city. You think the media hasn't talked about the +500 murders in 2012? Also, this might sound harsh, but the reason that a shooting in a white neighborhood might get more coverage is because statistically, it doesn't happen as often compared to a black neighborhood. It's not only Chicago, but in every city in America there is young black kids on the hunt for other young black kids. Basically, people look at shootings in black neighborhood as "what else is new?" Nobody is burying their heads. The media has provided enough coverage on it and I'm surprised that you think Chicago's crime rate is somehow covered up.
You still don't seem to understand what i'm saying. Your key points.

1) It gets covered because the President is a former resident.
2) It is statistically more likely to be violent because it is non white, thus white neighborhoods get more coverage.
3) Everywhere in America it's black on black youth, so who really cares. It's nothing new. Nobody is burying their heads they just don't care.
4) The crime rate is covered enough.

My points i've been trying to get across.

1) Should be getting coverage regardless of the President's residency. Prior to Obama's election it was less publicized, but now it's being used to fuel political rivalries. The coverage is likely to die down drastically when Obama's term is over.
2) Throw statistics out the window. It's should be about the victims and the perpetrators. I bet you can throw statistics at me all day, but you don't know which gangs are involved in which shootings or who died. When a life is taken it's a tragedy, doesn't matter who it is.
3) Honestly I felt sorry when i read this. Who cares? They're just blacks. I'm not sure if you realize but Chicago is heavily segregated on account of it being an early American metropolis. Basically it is composed of ethnic enclaves. I can guarantee that is not just black on black. It's basically every man for himself.
4) Again, throw statistics out. I'm not talking about crime rate.

P.S. I don't expect there to be a biography on every life that is lost, on the news. A segment of that nature would run 24/7.

Old 11-15-2013, 09:01 AM

Quote:
This more ore less what I thought as well due to all the movies.

You still don't seem to understand what i'm saying. Your key points.

1) It gets covered because the President is a former resident.
2) It is statistically more likely to be violent because it is non white, thus white neighborhoods get more coverage.
3) Everywhere in America it's black on black youth, so who really cares. It's nothing new. Nobody is burying their heads they just don't care.
4) The crime rate is covered enough.
You probably wouldn't ever hear about it outside chicago.
My points i've been trying to get across.

1) Should be getting coverage regardless of the President's residency. Prior to Obama's election it was less publicized, but now it's being used to fuel political rivalries. The coverage is likely to die down drastically when Obama's term is over.
2) Throw statistics out the window. It's should be about the victims and the perpetrators. I bet you can throw statistics at me all day, but you don't know which gangs are involved in which shootings or who died. When a life is taken it's a tragedy, doesn't matter who it is.
3) Honestly I felt sorry when i read this. Who cares? They're just blacks. I'm not sure if you realize but Chicago is heavily segregated on account of it being an early American metropolis. Basically it is composed of ethnic enclaves. I can guarantee that is not just black on black. It's basically every man for himself.
4) Again, throw statistics out. I'm not talking about crime rate.

P.S. I don't expect there to be a biography on every life that is lost, on the news. A segment of that nature would run 24/7.
1.) It seems you're still not getting it. You said "You probably wouldn't ever hear about it outside chicago." I'm saying that people do and even more so because of Obama's presidency. I'm not saying anything about how it should be covered less or more. I'm just pointing out that you were wrong in that Chicago doesn't get covered, especially compared to other cities. But now I will tell you whether it should continue to get coverage or not and say, who cares if it gets coverage or not? If you cover Chicago, you'll need to cover a bunch of other cities and metros that have worse crime rates. Not even Mexican border cities get that much coverage and they fuel a lot of America's drugs (supposedly, El Chapo is Chicago's public enemy #1). Actually, there are people that already believe Chicago is even worse than Detroit lol.

2.) Why should I throw statistics out of the window? The point was that violence in the black community is common, therefore, it is going to be looked at less shockingly. I'm not saying that a life taken is not a tragedy, but it happens so often that you would think that a lot of young gang members don't believe taking a life away is tragedy. Also, you think the baby getting killed or the girl in the park being killed mistakenly wasn't covered by the media? Everyone knows that their can be innocent lives being taken.

3.) It is what it is. It's desensitization. I'm not saying there is no value in an African American's life, but that it happens too often in the black community that it's literally nothing new. Also, you said "I can guarantee that is not just black on black. It's basically every man for himself." I'll agree that it's not only black on black and that there are some white and hispanic victims. BUT, the vast majority of victims are black. I also doubt it's every man for himself. That's just exaggerated.

List of races - Tracking homicides in Chicago - Tracking homicides in Chicago | RedeyeChicago.com

...and that is why statistics shouldn't be thrown out the window. You'll end up overlooking a lot of things.

4.) You said: "Besides the weekly 25 people wounded by gunshot on the south side this weekend. You probably wouldn't ever hear about it outside chicago." and "I'm talking about the 700+ schoolchildren shot in Chicago 2010". All that falls under crime rate. The media also brings up gangs being some of the main problems. It's not like the news media is going to start naming every gang in Chicago.

From what I can tell, you want a Hollywood movie about Chicago's modern street gangs.

Old 11-15-2013, 09:06 AM

1,564 posts, read 1,670,588 times
People on the outside think LA gangs are more popular and spread around due to Hollywood movies and gangsta rap but in reality it was the due to crack distribution ....LA and Miami were both the cocaine capitals in the 80"s and LA gangs start hitting other cities setting up shop and that's how bloods and crips are in almost every city in America .......there was a documentary on banging in little rock and how LA gangs came to the Midwest and south and took over like a wildfire that kept spreading......

The LA we see today is the aftermath of having the worst riots in u.s history back in 92 when the military had to be called in to stop the madness.....so of course LA isn't as bad anymore,that riot caused a dramatic population shift where blacks left the city and gang membership started to dropped because of the 3 strike laws and gang injunctions.....no placein the world has tougher laws than California when it comes to gangs because its not just LA,the whole damn so cal is gang infested.......

The swat team started in LA and we have the sheriffs working Compton because things are so bad.....idk if the laws are working in Chicago but I do know every city ain't as bad as the 90"s.....

Old 11-15-2013, 09:41 AM

391 posts, read 753,737 times
Gangs...psh, what a bunch of jerk-offs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City