Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Gang Capital of the United States?
Chicago 157 50.97%
Los Angeles 151 49.03%
Voters: 308. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 01:42 PM

281 posts, read 473,017 times

Advertisements

LA is no longer the gang infested city it once was, thanks to tougher laws, It's actually the safest big city in the nation now, Chicago can have their high murder rate to brag about if they want.

Old 11-12-2013, 04:11 PM

1,564 posts, read 1,671,381 times
L.A is still gang infested its just the most gang controlled city in the nation......the laws have crippled a lot of the activity from gang injunctions to gang enhancements ,where you can get years for having a gang tattoo or standing on a certain block......NYC & L.A are the most advanced cities so what's happening in those two cities will hit the rest of the country soon......Chicago is a more of a mob city than gang city so the crime is hard to control with all the corruption taking place......

Old 11-12-2013, 04:58 PM

572 posts, read 709,035 times
I lived in Chicago. It's def a gang city. The Mob has nothing to do with street gangs. What the mob does with corruption makes no difference to a gang member out to kill.

Chicago is just a more violent city right now.

LA is one of the most safest cities in America. Gang infested? I live in Korea Town. I've been all over LA the past few weeks. Where are the gangs?

Old 11-12-2013, 05:08 PM

1,830 posts, read 2,151,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmsTown View Post
I lived in Chicago. It's def a gang city. The Mob has nothing to do with street gangs. What the mob does with corruption makes no difference to a gang member out to kill.

Chicago is just a more violent city right now.

LA is one of the most safest cities in America. Gang infested? I live in Korea Town. I've been all over LA the past few weeks. Where are the gangs?
There aren't very many in LA anymore and the ones that still exist aren't as blatant as they once were. Most are either locked up, dead, or have moved out to areas in the IE, Riverside, Bakersfield, Palmdale, Lancaster, Hemet, and the like, some even out of the state all together. I remeber in the 90's I use to see some gang activity around my area of Venice and other locations, nowdays, it's as if they have vanished into thin air. The only element that really remains are taggers, but that's another debate.

Old 11-12-2013, 05:16 PM

Yea. I'm really worried about those scary taggers.

Old 11-12-2013, 05:23 PM

1,830 posts, read 2,151,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmsTown View Post
Yea. I'm really worried about those scary taggers.
Seriously, the moment I see them in the alleys, they run like little cowards. LA has changed dramatically, The gang capital title was given up a long time ago.

Old 11-12-2013, 05:32 PM

I was just in Venice on Abbott Kinney. Great area. There's construction everywhere. It's awesome to see the change. I never personally saw gangs in Venice but I heard/read stories in the LA Times from time to time.

I'm still partial to that Main Street section in Santa Monica/Venice though. What a surprising cozy neighborhood that is.

Old 11-12-2013, 07:16 PM

1,564 posts, read 1,671,381 times
Like I just said its the most gang controlled city in the nation......of course LA is not bad as it was in the 90"s......after the riots a dramatic population shift happen in the black community where a lot of people left to the valley and back south......all you gotta do is look up the FBI gang assessment 2012/2013 and you'll see Los Angeles number 1 as city with most gangs and gang members in America ...Chicago is number 2 & San Bernardino is surprisingly number 3.......no need to be bias bro.......no city is even close to the influence and popularity of L.A gangs.....go to New York and Atlanta and see bloods everywhere .

And Korea town is not a dangerous place to see gangs.....all the action is in south central,where this year summer was very brutal,go to Compton and watts and you'll realize the gang presence ........no city is bad like it was in the 90"s,Chicago just still has a large black population where in LA the Hispanics are now majority......plus the laws in California are super tough compared to Illinois ..........the only Chicago gang in other states making noise is the gds .......but bloods,crips,hoovers,pirus and surenos are everywhere ,some are even in Illinois and I can post the Chicago police article about west coast gangs setting up shop serving a certain area.....

Old 11-12-2013, 07:45 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,886,156 times
In 20 more years, LA will be completely gentrified.

Old 11-12-2013, 07:58 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,563,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
In 20 more years, LA will be completely gentrified.
I'm a self-admitted LA homer, but even I wouldn't go that far. Way too much poverty here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City