Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which region is better?
Pacific Northwest 50 70.42%
Deep South 21 29.58%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 11:15 AM

635 posts, read 1,512,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
Lol. Okay. Atlanta is so much greater, and has so much more to do because it has a store that 99.99% of the people will NEVER shop at, nor ever want to shop at.

When did this thread turn into a Portland vs. Atlanta thread?
Ok, for one its not about the greater city...that is entirely up to the individual however this being a region vs. region thread. I'll present my two cents on the subject. Mountains and such obviously this goes to the pnw even though you can't see them through the haze a majority of the time. I used to live on the Kitsap peninsula and Marysville wa (just north of Everett wa). I was always happy to see the mountains, although it seemed like it was a rarity so you couldn't actually on the regular sit out on the porch and drink your coffee while enjoying them, I can easily do this almost anywhere in Appalachia. Beaches...once again scenic I'd give to pnw as for really enjoying them not so much...it was always too cold to enjoy them. With the south I'd have Jekyll island, tybee island, folly beach, isle of palms, myrtle beach and many, many more I could name that I could enjoy going for a swim or people watching or great atmosphere in the towns off those beaches...warm beachesand warm people. The people of the areas I was once snarled at for holding the door open for a woman she just looked at me, rolled her eyes and walked right on through like I was crazy, no thank you or even a head nod. Out here in the south that's a common thing to do. Cities...umm yes I love some things about Vancouver, Seattle and Portland, their both pretty walkable and both have a unique feel, but I have found that I do in fact have much more to do in almost every aspect in the south. Atlanta can only be even remotely challenged by either Vancouver or Seattle. The nightlife, the shopping, the events, the intense amount of history, the architecture (save for the space needle in Seattle) Atlanta has it all and much more it has too it's metro area is the 9th largest in the country. I get it bigger isn't always better, but I'm not going off of size as you can read and should noticed by some of the things I've listed. Portland is much more comparable to New Orleans both are smaller but very influential to their region, they both have a very eclectic feel to me only one has my heart and that's New Orleans. I don't think its fair to compare Boise with Charlotte so I won't, I think it's a little more comparable to Birmingham. Then what to do with Savannah, Mobile, Montgomery, Nashville, Memphis, Charlotte, Columbia...I'm sorry, but cities, that goes to the south easily imo.

So to recap on my post
Mountains- PNW just for the shear presence you feel when you see them.
Beaches- the south.
Cities- the south.

I'm definitely open to the opposing arguement as long as you back it up instead of just giving a blank statement.

Old 06-23-2013, 12:05 PM

635 posts, read 1,512,620 times
To kind of better follow with this thread though
I have to take away the cities of Charlotte, Nashville, and Memphis from my last post as per the criteria are not a part of the deep south.

Economy- about even
History- the deep south, the civil war, revolutionary war, trail of tears, civil rights...and so on.
Natural Scenery- even; Mountains- Appalachians < Cascades and Olympics only by once again sheer majesty; Beaches- Atlantic and Gulf Beaches > pnw beaches because of white sandy beaches and the ability to swim year round although I will give credit where its due the pnw has some beautiful views from their beaches; other (waterfalls, forests, islands, Lakes)- even.
Urbanness- New Orleans, Charleston, Savannah = Seattle, Portland (I'm basing this off of walkability).
Education- deep south only because of UGA, GT, South Carolina, Auburn, Alabama, Old Miss, LSU, Clemson.
Museums-even
Public Transportation- Atlanta > Seattle because of Marta however I do have to say that the PNW wins this one because we're mostly car oriented and there seem to be more cities up there with a better variety of PT.
Weather- this is completely based on preference and the weather in pnw made me feel very miserable, so because of this I say the deep south.
Food- deep south > PNW. There's everything the PNW has down here and more New Orleans, Savannah, Brunswick (shrimp capital of the world), Charleston win for seafood, and Atlanta has one of the most diverse food scenes in the country. For this combination I say deep south.
Proximity- deep south because of our proximity to the rest of the south, South Florida, Mid Atlantic...and so forth.

These are just my opinions so no ignorant statements as a result of the post.

Old 06-23-2013, 01:53 PM

10,766 posts, read 23,880,633 times
Hold on....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizurko View Post
Ok, for one its not about the greater city...that is entirely up to the individual however this being a region vs. region thread. I'll present my two cents on the subject. Mountains and such obviously this goes to the pnw even though you can't see them through the haze a majority of the time. I used to live on the Kitsap peninsula and Marysville wa (just north of Everett wa). I was always happy to see the mountains, although it seemed like it was a rarity so you couldn't actually on the regular sit out on the porch and drink your coffee while enjoying them,

I can easily do this almost anywhere in Appalachia. Beaches...once again scenic I'd give to pnw as for really enjoying them not so much...it was always too cold to enjoy them. With the south I'd have Jekyll island, tybee island, folly beach, isle of palms, myrtle beach and many, many more I could name that I could enjoy going for a swim or people watching or great atmosphere in the towns off those beaches...warm beachesand warm people. The people of the areas I was once snarled at for holding the door open for a woman she just looked at me, rolled her eyes and walked right on through like I was crazy, no thank you or even a head nod. Out here in the south that's a common thing to do.

Cities...umm yes I love some things about Vancouver, Seattle and Portland, their both pretty walkable and both have a unique feel, but I have found that I do in fact have much more to do in almost every aspect in the south. Atlanta can only be even remotely challenged by either Vancouver or Seattle. The nightlife, the shopping, the events, the intense amount of history, the architecture (save for the space needle in Seattle) Atlanta has it all and much more it has too it's metro area is the 9th largest in the country.

I get it bigger isn't always better, but I'm not going off of size as you can read and should noticed by some of the things I've listed. Portland is much more comparable to New Orleans both are smaller but very influential to their region, they both have a very eclectic feel to me only one has my heart and that's New Orleans. I don't think its fair to compare Boise with Charlotte so I won't, I think it's a little more comparable to Birmingham. Then what to do with Savannah, Mobile, Montgomery, Nashville, Memphis, Charlotte, Columbia...I'm sorry, but cities, that goes to the south easily imo.

So to recap on my post
Mountains- PNW just for the shear presence you feel when you see them.
Beaches- the south.
Cities- the south.

I'm definitely open to the opposing arguement as long as you back it up instead of just giving a blank statement.
OK That's better...

Old 06-23-2013, 02:44 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,824,425 times
Quote:
I'm sure it's intended as an insult ... but what the heck does this mean?
Meaning you are acting as if "shopping" is the ONLY main thing that is missing.That was just an examle of the difference in what a larger metro offers.I don't think you are ignorant or unaware that larger more established cities offer a more variety of amenities.A larger population dictates such amenities.Yet you honed in on what I said about Hermes and Neimans?

Just within the Atlanta metro there are counties that have there own convention enters,sports teams,orchestras,and town squares with unique points of interest.

Old 06-23-2013, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaboyd1 View Post
Some people were claiming the south was more geographically diverse. Obviously not. Seeing as how the word scenery is used in the thread title, I don't understand what's wrong with the pictures.
Obviously its not?How is it not?You know the South has Mountains,Plains,Swamps.Beaches,Rain forest etc...
If anything its just a difference.The PNW does not have swamps and the South does not have glaciers.

Old 06-23-2013, 04:36 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,163,966 times
It doesn't?

Here is a Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Here is a Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Certainly they're not as large as the swamps of the south, and the flora and fauna are different considering they're different parts of the country. But they exist. Just like you call what there are in the south "mountains." They're not exactly the same as the mountains of the PNW.

Are there deserts in the Deep South? There are in the PNW.

Last edited by Yac; 06-25-2013 at 06:30 AM..

Old 06-23-2013, 05:35 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,163,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
My point is thats no where the population lives. If people waned to live on a glacier then we would have cities there. Atlanta actually sits in the foothills of the Blueridge Mountains.
Notice how I posted pics with beautiful scennerey in urban areas.Those pics posted earlier of the PNW were great but how many of have actually visited those places first hand?Those places are remote.Im sure I am seeing those pics without ever having being there same as some of the people on here who actually live in the PNW that have never seen those areas.

The South incorporates the natural environment in with its built environment better than any other region of the U.S. in my opinion.
No, people don't live on glaciers. And yes, I've more-or-less been to all those places (not necessarily stood on the spot the photo was taken). Heck, one of the photos is about 20 miles from my home. My home in downtown Portland. But assessing the scenic nature of two regions is not only talking about the scenery in the heavily populated areas, now is it?

Notice how I post links (since posting copyrighted photos on C-D is against the TOS) to scenery in urban areas of the PNW.

Neighborhood in NW downtown Portland.

A street in the downtown business district of Portland.

Seattle cityscape.

Here's a house on Queen Anne Hill, Seattle.

English Bay Beach in Vancouver BC.

I'll just link to this page of thumbnails of Portland homes because I can't decide which one I like best.

Here's one of Oregon's lighthouses.

Here's Forest Park, in the West Hills that bound downtown Portland. It's the largest urban park in the U.S.

And perhaps next weekend, I'll be sitting on the balcony of our condominium at the beach looking at this view.

Is that enough scenery in urban areas? I know it's Portland heavy, but it's what I'm most familiar with. Trust me, the other cities are just as scenic. A local photographer has a great site with his photos of the area here. His interest is more in strictly architecture, but it's a pretty good overview.

Last edited by EnricoV; 06-23-2013 at 05:58 PM..

Old 06-23-2013, 05:50 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,469,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizurko View Post
To kind of better follow with this thread though
I have to take away the cities of Charlotte, Nashville, and Memphis from my last post as per the criteria are not a part of the deep south.

Economy- about even
History- the deep south, the civil war, revolutionary war, trail of tears, civil rights...and so on.
Natural Scenery- even; Mountains- Appalachians < Cascades and Olympics only by once again sheer majesty; Beaches- Atlantic and Gulf Beaches > pnw beaches because of white sandy beaches and the ability to swim year round although I will give credit where its due the pnw has some beautiful views from their beaches; other (waterfalls, forests, islands, Lakes)- even.
Urbanness- New Orleans, Charleston, Savannah = Seattle, Portland (I'm basing this off of walkability).
Education- deep south only because of UGA, GT, South Carolina, Auburn, Alabama, Old Miss, LSU, Clemson.
Museums-even
Public Transportation- Atlanta > Seattle because of Marta however I do have to say that the PNW wins this one because we're mostly car oriented and there seem to be more cities up there with a better variety of PT.
Weather- this is completely based on preference and the weather in pnw made me feel very miserable, so because of this I say the deep south.
Food- deep south > PNW. There's everything the PNW has down here and more New Orleans, Savannah, Brunswick (shrimp capital of the world), Charleston win for seafood, and Atlanta has one of the most diverse food scenes in the country. For this combination I say deep south.
Proximity- deep south because of our proximity to the rest of the south, South Florida, Mid Atlantic...and so forth.

These are just my opinions so no ignorant statements as a result of the post.
University of Washington and University of British Columbia are both ranked higher in the world by many publications then the deep south, not that the universities are bad. There is definitely more of a selection in the south but the Liberal Arts schools in Washington and Portland are very strong. Simon Fraser is a great institution as well. U of O, Ore st, and WSU are fair/good state universities that excel at certain programs. Cant give much of a preference on Idaho colleges. For me I would give a slight edge to the pacific northwest. Huge edge if your just talking about overall public education. For urbaness, ive found portland one of the most walkable cities in america, better the New Orleans many because crime is less up here. Seattle is fair, it's neighborhoods are more walk-able then parts of downtown. But ive never been to Charleston or savannah so I can't really give a rating off walkability. But i disagree with the food. Seattle has some of the best crab and oysters in the world. The freshest salmon you can find. Nice cod and halibut. I think the Seafood here is better and fresher. Plus we have great asian cuisine. The south definitely has good seafood and comfort food but I think the food here is fresher and better.

Old 06-23-2013, 06:00 PM

Quote:
No, people don't live on glaciers. And yes, I've more-or-less been to all those places (not necessarily stood on the spot the photo was taken). Heck, one of the photos is about 20 miles from my home. My home in downtown Portland. But assessing the scenic nature of two regions is not only talking about the scenery in the heavily populated areas, now is it?

Notice how I post links (since posting copyrighted photos on C-D is against the TOS) to scenery in urban areas of the PNW.

Neighborhood in NW downtown Portland.

A street in the downtown business district of Portland.

Seattle cityscape.

Here's a house on Queen Anne Hill, Seattle.

English Bay Beach in Vancouver BC.

I'll just link to this page of thumbnails of Portland homes because I can't decide which one I like best.

Here's one of Oregon's lighthouses.

Here's Forest Park, in the West Hills that bound downtown Portland. It's the largest urban park in the U.S.

And perhaps next weekend, I'll be sitting on the balcony of our condominium at the beach looking at this view.

Is that enough scenery in urban areas? I know it's Portland heavy, but it's what I'm most familiar with. Trust me, the other cities are just as scenic.
I posted my own pictures mainly(accept the one fromAmicola Falls.
You may have but most people have not been to those places.Why do you think the Blue ridge PKWY is one of the most traveled routes in America?Its nearer to where people live although its off the beatin path.
And no its not just about heavily populated areas versus access to scenic remote areas.I was not the one that suggested one is better than the other.I just made the comment that people who see areas that are closes to areas that are more populated.

Old 06-23-2013, 06:05 PM

Quote:
It doesn't?

Certainly they're not as large as the swamps of the south, and the flora and fauna are different considering they're different parts of the country. But they exist. Just like you call what there are in the south "mountains." They're not exactly the same as the mountains of the PNW.

Are there deserts in the Deep South? There are in the PNW.
Yes.Texas.And I stand corrected in swamps lacking in the PNW>i suppose its a technical definition of what people consider "swamp land".

Last edited by Yac; 06-25-2013 at 06:30 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City