Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which region is better?
Pacific Northwest 50 70.42%
Deep South 21 29.58%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 07:50 AM

37,273 posts, read 39,596,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
True.I was just showing that depending on what rankings are used the poster who stated should not have made a blanket statement about the schools in PNW out rank everything in the South.Simply not true.
Well, within what was actually asked in this topic, the statement was about right overall. Difference isn't huge though.

Old 06-24-2013, 09:23 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,155,651 times
Scenery: PNW destroys the South. The Apps are pretty lame IMO and the tree cover can get boring after a while.

Cities: Seattle and Atlanta are about the same to me....Portland is overrated, but beats pretty much any other city in the South that isn't Atlanta. Keep in mind, this is not including Texas or Florida. If those were added, the South destroys,

Old 06-24-2013, 10:17 AM

635 posts, read 1,512,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Scenery: PNW destroys the South. The Apps are pretty lame IMO and the tree cover can get boring after a while.

Cities: Seattle and Atlanta are about the same to me....Portland is overrated, but beats pretty much any other city in the South that isn't Atlanta. Keep in mind, this is not including Texas or Florida. If those were added, the South destroys,
You are aware that scenery includes more than just mountains right, and its perfectly cool that you don't like the Appalachians, that's your preference whatever, but I do believe that this scenery comparison is anything far from being one-sided I mean of course the Appalachians aren't as large their the oldest mountain range in the world and have been eroded away over many millions of years. That doesn't mean that the south gets destroyed by pnw in terms of scenery. We have many things and factors that can tips that scale in either direction, but yes the pnw does have things you won't find here like deserts, but does that really make it capable of destroying the south in terms of scenery...no not in my opinion. I maintain that its relatively even. Cities wise you can say that Seattle is about even with Atlanta, but I am sorry no Portland does not even come close to beatting pretty much anything else that meets the criteria and to believe so either shows a lack of knowledge and experiences or a refusal to compare the other cities in a proper manner. Just my opinion of your post but I do believe your giving an all or nothing type of post. I do agree with you on the point that were Texas and Florida to meet this criteria it wouldn't even be a fair comparison by any means.

Old 06-24-2013, 10:23 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,155,651 times
I honestly don't see what city beats Portland outside of Atlanta that doesn't include Texas or Florida....Charlotte? Nah, Portland is better. Nashville, Memphis, Birmingham, or any of the NC cities? Nah. Savannah is a great city, but its a city mainly for tourism these days and not for living so its one sided. Same for Charleston.

New Orleans is still recovering so no it doesn't beat Portland.

Old 06-24-2013, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
I honestly don't see what city beats Portland outside of Atlanta that doesn't include Texas or Florida....Charlotte? Nah, Portland is better. Nashville, Memphis, Birmingham, or any of the NC cities? Nah. Savannah is a great city, but its a city mainly for tourism these days and not for living so its one sided. Same for Charleston.

New Orleans is still recovering so no it doesn't beat Portland.
I can definitely see where your coming from, but having lived in Charleston, I loved it. Yes there are a lot of tourists, and yes thats what the economy is mostly built on, but I had nothing but wonderful times there and I personally disagree with the New Orleans statement, yes it still isn't to its former glory, but it's still in my opinion on a level Portland hasn't been able to reach yet.

Old 06-24-2013, 10:40 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,555,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizurko View Post
Cities wise you can say that Seattle is about even with Atlanta, but I am sorry no Portland does not even come close to beatting pretty much anything else that meets the criteria and to believe so either shows a lack of knowledge and experiences or a refusal to compare the other cities in a proper manner. Just my opinion of your post but I do believe your giving an all or nothing type of post. I do agree with you on the point that were Texas and Florida to meet this criteria it wouldn't even be a fair comparison by any means.
If you want to include Texas and Florida go ahead, but at the same time you might as well start your own thread and compare it to an area of comparable size and just include the entire West Coast(and maybe Arizona and Nevada as well). The distance from Charlotte to Houston is farther than driving from Portland to Los Angeles. The distance from Miami to Dallas is like driving from Seattle to San Diego.

So I mean, sure you can include a entire swath of the Southeastern US and compare it to just the Northwest coast(a much smaller chunk of the West) and not surprisingly the bigger area is going have more large cities.

Old 06-24-2013, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
If you want to include Texas and Florida go ahead, but at the same time you might as well start your own thread and compare it to an area of comparable size and just include the entire West Coast(and maybe Arizona and Nevada as well). The distance from Charlotte to Houston is farther than driving from Portland to Los Angeles. The distance from Miami to Dallas is like driving from Seattle to San Diego.

So I mean, sure you can include a entire swath of the Southeastern US and compare it to just the Northwest coast(a much smaller chunk of the West) and not surprisingly the bigger area is going have more large cities.
whoa, calm down there buddy, I was acknowledging what he said concerning the Texas and Florida statement he made, don't misunderstand my posts though and I already presented my opinions in my first two posts here...which I felt were more than enough including just the specified criteria sooo in my opinion the two aren't really needed to win this anyways. I don't really care if they were or not so your incredibly jumping-to-conclusions post wasn't necessary.

Old 06-24-2013, 11:21 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,555,356 times
Quote:
whoa, calm down there buddy, I was acknowledging what he said concerning the Texas and Florida statement he made, don't misunderstand my posts though and I already presented my opinions in my first two posts here...which I felt were more than enough including just the specified criteria sooo in my opinion the two aren't really needed to win this anyways. I don't really care if they were or not so your incredibly jumping-to-conclusions post wasn't necessary.
Okay... Nothing un-calm about my post. Just posting a response to what you wrote. Don't get all worked up there, pardner...

Just curious though, what other amazing cities(besides Atlanta or New Orleans possibly) in the the region specified by the OP truly surpass Portland or Vancouver BC in anything. Birmingham, Alabama? Jackson, Mississippi? Columbia, South Carolina?

Old 06-24-2013, 11:47 AM

1,312 posts, read 2,174,141 times
Quote:
You are aware that scenery includes more than just mountains right, and its perfectly cool that you don't like the Appalachians, that's your preference whatever, but I do believe that this scenery comparison is anything far from being one-sided I mean of course the Appalachians aren't as large their the oldest mountain range in the world and have been eroded away over many millions of years.
There are many mountain ranges older, including the Penokees of northern WI/Upper MI - just thought this was an important distinction. But yes, it's irritating when someone who lives near a great mountain range uses that as the sole criteria for "beauty," or when someone next to the ocean uses that as the trump, or whatever their area specifically excels at.

Old 06-24-2013, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Okay... Nothing un-calm about my post. Just posting a response to what you wrote. Don't get all worked up there, pardner...

Just curious though, what other amazing cities(besides Atlanta or New Orleans possibly) in the the region specified by the OP truly surpass Portland or Vancouver BC in anything. Birmingham, Alabama? Jackson, Mississippi? Columbia, South Carolina?
Mhmmm, not jumping to conclusions was exactly how your post was intended...anyways so why do we have to omit two cities to compare to cities that were already compared with the exception of Vancouver. So yes Atlanta to Seattle, New Orleans to Portland, but the oddball here is Vancouver. Vancouver is a beautiful city and in the specified criteria can not be challenged by a city not already stated. I'm sorry we don't have only 3 enclaves to which our populace concentrate themselves, but we have unique cities that nothing left in the PNW could not compare...Huntsville (rocket city), Mobile, Biloxi, Savannah, Charleston, Montgomery, Myrtle beach, Augusta, Columbus, Greenville area, and yes Columbia, Jackson, and Birmingham. All of these cities are wonderful, amazing cities in their own rights. As I said these cities can't compare to Vancouver in a lot of ways, but they don't need to, yes you've got one more big city in your region specified perameters, but we have many wonderful mid sized to large cities in ours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City