Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 05:25 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,677,908 times

Advertisements

I used to really like trips into SF when I was young. I grew up in the suburbs and always liked going to be in the midst of the city with all the skyscrapers and stuff. My mom used to take me to Chinatown and all the bazaars.

We used to take a lot of trips to Honolulu because thats where we have family and that was probably my favorite city by far. Used to usually stay at my great-grandmother's condo in Waikiki just a short walk from the beach and Ala Moana Mall.

Last edited by sav858; 08-01-2012 at 06:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2012, 05:42 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,512,862 times
Wisconsin dells and Tokyo

Old 08-01-2012, 05:49 PM

934 posts, read 1,442,724 times
Minneapolis.
I had a childhood crush on Mary Tyler Moore.

San Francisco is special to me as well. I was obsessed the ocean, and being a kid in Kansas, it was mesmerizing to be in Fisherman's Wharf with all that maritime culture.

Chicago. Poltergeist III was the first film that ever scared the crap out of me. I remember it all took place inside the John Hancock Building. Now that I'm older, and enjoy scary movies, I consider it iconic building of my childhood.

Last edited by thefallensrvnge; 08-01-2012 at 06:38 PM..

Old 08-01-2012, 06:12 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,533,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I used to really like trips into SF when I was young. I grew up in the suburbs and always liked going to be in the midst of the city with all the skyscrapers and stuff. My used to take me to Chinatown and all the bazaars.

I grew up in Santa Cruz and on weekend trips to San Francisco as a little kid I felt the same way. It was always really exciting for me to walk around Union Square down to Chinatown or up to Nob Hill. And Golden Gate Park and the museums and Academy of Science seemed amazing to me as a kid(I loved the alligators at the Academy of Science). Chinatown especially though--I just remember walking around the little basement shops selling all the trinkets and the smells of all the restaurants--or the Chinese movie theatres with posters for Hong Kong action films--and imagining I was in China. And the restaurant we used to--Hunan Homes(which is still there and delicious) had a huge fish/seafood tank down by the basement that my dad would always remark that was what we'd be eating later.

Another couple of cities were Chicago and Milwaukee. I had family in Milwaukee on my mom's side, and I think it might have been one of the first places I ever travelled outside of California or Nevada as a kid. I just remember being amazed at all the huge skyscrapers in Chicago--I had a picture of Chicago's downtown on my wall as a kid for some reason, so I was excited to see this huge city and stare up at these giant buildings. And the Museum of Science and Industry seemed really cool as a kid, even though my mom got worried when she got lost somewhere on the South Side. Milwaukee was interesting to me, because it seemed so different from what I knew in California. My mom's family was all Polish-Americans and at that point in the mid-80s they still lived south of downtown in what was the traditional Polish neighborhoods(prior to moving the suburbs in the 90s). I just remember walking around these old houses and going to an old Polish Cathedral for mass and the Polish Festival on the lake(which seemed like an ocean to me). It just felt kind of old world--and I remember the hot summer weather and bugs and fireflies at night at my great grandparents house--who were Polish immigrants. I just remember having fond memories of both those cities as a kid.

Last edited by Deezus; 08-01-2012 at 06:27 PM..

Old 08-01-2012, 06:17 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,916,422 times
I used to LOVE Dallas when I was little.

Now that I'm older, I just see it as "that city to the east".

Old 08-01-2012, 06:22 PM

1,064 posts, read 1,905,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefallensrvnge View Post
Minneapolis.
I had a childhood crush on Mary Tyler Moore.
San Francisco is special to me as well. I was obsessed the ocean, and being a kid in Kansas, it was mesmerizing to be in Fisherman's Wharf with all that maritime culture.

Chicago. Poltergeist III was the first film that ever scared the crap out of me. I remember it all took place inside the John Hancock Building. Now that I'm older, and enjoy scary movies, I consider it iconic building of my childhood.
I love the Mary Tyler Moore show!

Old 08-01-2012, 07:09 PM

2,171 posts, read 1,461,062 times
Cincinnati, Atlanta, Chicago, Tulsa, and Phoenix.

Old 08-01-2012, 10:44 PM

979 posts, read 2,095,247 times
For me it was San Francisco and New York.

Growing up in Sacramento, San Francisco was the New York of the West Coast. I grew up watching Full House, Ms. Doubtfire, and seeing the city in TV and film. Also I was fascinated with the Golden Gate Bridge. I didnt realize how close it was from Sacramento. My parents would always take day trips to SF. Who knew years later I would live there.

I was also obsessed with New York City. Again seeing it in the big and small screen made me realized I needed to check it out, which I did when I graduated from high school. It was everything I expected.

Old 08-02-2012, 04:01 PM

2,342 posts, read 3,992,746 times
San Diego, San Francisco, LA, Seattle, Las Vegas, Sacramento.

Made my dreams come true. Lived in San Diego, the bay, and Glendale already and still love Las Vegas, Sacramento, and Seattle.

Old 08-02-2012, 05:25 PM

934 posts, read 1,442,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dee936 View Post
I love the Mary Tyler Moore show!
Same here! I still want to have my picture taken next to the MTM statue in the downtown lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City