Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: unique?
Montreal 63 47.01%
New Orleans 71 52.99%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 08:24 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I disagree. New Orleans was a French city until the Louisiana Purchase in 1803, so it's French roots are deep. From the architecture, to the culinary influences, to the strong Cajun/Creole influence, especially via the West Indies in the music, food, customs (Mardi Gras). Those Cajun who still live there speak a distinct dialect which includes a lot of French. It's not as French as Montreal, of course, but it's still a pretty French city. More a colonial French city though than the France of today, which is the difference.

I'd say New Orleans is more unique as a city simply because Montreal still has Quebec City, whereas I can't think of a single city in North America that is like New Orleans. It's a mix of Dixie and the Caribbean.
New Orleans has much more Spanish influence actually. Most of the architecture is Spanish, especially the French Quarter. There aren't many Cajuns in the NO area, that's further south down in the bayous mentioned in my previous post. New Orleans has Creole culture, not much Cajun whatsoever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterExtraordinaire View Post
Mobile, Alabama

Old 09-17-2012, 08:27 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,662,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Actually it would be Cajun country starting south of Lafayette along Hwy 90 through the bayou parishes of Lafourche, Terrebone, Iberia, etc. There's also a decent amount of French speakers left in metro New Orleans in towns such as Chalmette. The towns along the river also have French speakers.
Majority of what? Certainly not NOLA, the metro, or southern Louisiana in general. Maybe in certain areas, but a fun fact for you is that Maine has more french speakers than all of Louisiana simply because of her proximity to Quebec.

Old 09-17-2012, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Majority of what? Certainly not NOLA, the metro, or southern Louisiana in general. Maybe in certain areas, but a fun fact for you is that Maine has more french speakers than all of Louisiana simply because of her proximity to Quebec.
How about re-read the post.

Old 09-17-2012, 08:44 PM

640 posts, read 1,226,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I know that, but at this point it's mostly for show. New Orleans probably has fewer French speakers than NYC, Boston or LA.

The only part of Louisiana where there are decent numbers of French speakers left is the Cajun country around Lafayette.
I'm a french-speaking New Orleanian. Many of my friends speak french as well....

Old 09-17-2012, 08:49 PM

Both Louisiana and Quebec had times when there were strong parties interested in making each fully English. New Orleans had MANY french speakers up until the 1920s when the hegemonic American government made it illegal to teach French in Louisiana schools thus forcing many Louisianans and New Orleanians to stop speaking French. The same almost happened in Montreal (which btw has A LOT of strictly English speakers) but the Quebecois found a way to make it not happen and French became an official language.

In fact, both cities went through very similar cases with different outcomes. Also, both cities have historically had similar layouts with one side of the city speaking English and the other French (which still exists in Montreal to this day).

Old 09-17-2012, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcp11889 View Post
In fact, both cities went through very similar cases with different outcomes. Also, both cities have historically had similar layouts with one side of the city speaking English and the other French (which still exists in Montreal to this day).
Was this a split between uptowners and downtowners?

Old 09-17-2012, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Was this a split between uptowners and downtowners?

Yep. That's why there are basically two "centers" of New Orleans, the French Quarter and the "American Sector" (CBD). Each population group had their own businesses and own languages of business.

Also, each group has their own elite residential district (St. Charles/Garden District for Americans, and Esplanade Avenue for Creoles.)

The interesting thing is that Montreal is very similar to this.

Old 09-17-2012, 08:57 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,662,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcp11889 View Post
What side would that be of Montreal? Outside some neighborhoods and maybe McGill and NDG I didn't find any. Some of the western suburbs are majority English speaking though.

As to NOLA, again which sides would that be. I never ran into any language division in NOLA but then I was always a tourist staying at my friend's place in central city.

Old 09-17-2012, 08:59 PM

Quote:
It's even ridiculous that this conversation is being had. NOLA is unique but not for her frenchness.

One city you have to ask the locals if they speak english to communicate. The other city you speak english to communicate. It's black and white like that.
The thing is though that being a French city in a majority French speaking province doesn't make it unique. Just because you don't speak French and only English doesn't make it "unique". That is kind of ridiculous. That would be like saying any city in the world that doesn't speak English is not unique. Even though places like Paris or Madrid are in fact, not that unique since they represent the culture of their entire countries. Just like Montreal represents Quebec.

Old 09-17-2012, 08:59 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,339,761 times
New Orleans, without a doubt. It's something that transcends the food, the history, and the architecture. It's something that's found in the spirit of the people and they're culture. It sounds corny, but New Orleanians seem to add a whole new twist to life itself.

Montreal is unique to North America, sure, but it doesn't stand out as much on the global stage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City