Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: unique?
Montreal 63 47.01%
New Orleans 71 52.99%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 07:30 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,244,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I've been to both. New Orleans is a unique twist on American culture not found anywhere else. However, Montreal is a completely different culture - different language, different currency, different measurement system, etc. Montreal and Quebec feel like a foreign country within Canada. So, I would call that more unique.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
How are those two things unique? All of Canada has a different currenty and measurement system than the US.
This is exactly how I feel as an American toward Montreal, although point taken for Sav858. This is an extremely tough one for me and I could easily voted the other way.

Old 09-17-2012, 07:48 PM

14,679 posts, read 14,639,000 times
Has Louisiana sought to secede as an independent entity from the rest of the US? That should provide your answer.

Old 09-17-2012, 07:54 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,979,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
It seems you've blown this way out of proportion.
Some how he or she just missed the boat.

Old 09-17-2012, 08:00 PM

26,875 posts, read 38,019,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
There are done natives who still speak French and many street names are labeled rue, instead of street.

I know that, but at this point it's mostly for show. New Orleans probably has fewer French speakers than NYC, Boston or LA.

The only part of Louisiana where there are decent numbers of French speakers left is the Cajun country around Lafayette.

Old 09-17-2012, 08:07 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,661,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
Some how he or she just missed the boat.
Pat yourself on the back, you made a great post back there. And now Annie is playing footsie with you.

I'd say something else, a little bit more my style but .... I'm on a short leash here and I kinda like posting here

Old 09-17-2012, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I know that, but at this point it's mostly for show. New Orleans probably has fewer French speakers than NYC, Boston or LA.

The only part of Louisiana where there are decent numbers of French speakers left is the Cajun country around Lafayette.
It's even ridiculous that this conversation is being had. NOLA is unique but not for her frenchness.

One city you have to ask the locals if they speak english to communicate. The other city you speak english to communicate. It's black and white like that.

Old 09-17-2012, 08:14 PM

2,342 posts, read 3,989,126 times
I made this thread? LOL

Old 09-17-2012, 08:17 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,047,835 times
Quote:
I don't understand the constant comparisons between the two.

New Orleans is a unique and fascinating city, but there isn't really much that is French about it. Not its language, not its inhabitants (for the most part), not its architecture, not its music.

Some people seem to be under the mistaken impression that the uniqueness of New Orleans is due to some type of "Frenchness", but this is a false impression.

What makes New Orleans what it is, is New Orleans. Not French.

If anything, the most French place in the United States is probably Madawaska in northern Maine!
I disagree. New Orleans was a French city until the Louisiana Purchase in 1803, so it's French roots are deep. From the architecture, to the culinary influences, to the strong Cajun/Creole influence, especially via the West Indies in the music, food, customs (Mardi Gras). Those Cajun who still live there speak a distinct dialect which includes a lot of French. It's not as French as Montreal, of course, but it's still a pretty French city. More a colonial French city though than the France of today, which is the difference.

I'd say New Orleans is more unique as a city simply because Montreal still has Quebec City, whereas I can't think of a single city in North America that is like New Orleans. It's a mix of Dixie and the Caribbean.

Old 09-17-2012, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I'd say New Orleans is more unique as a city simply because Montreal still has Quebec City, whereas I can't think of a single city in North America that is like New Orleans. It's a mix of Dixie and the Caribbean.
Mobile, Alabama

Old 09-17-2012, 08:20 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,297,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Has Louisiana sought to secede as an independent entity from the rest of the US? That should provide your answer.
Certain groups have tried to rally enough followers. One group even posted frequently in the Louisiana forum.
Quote:

No it not for show, majority are native French speakers. Who learns a foreign language in and American, English speaking city, just for "show"?
Actually it would be Cajun country starting south of Lafayette along Hwy 90 through the bayou parishes of Lafourche, Terrebone, Iberia, etc. There's also a decent amount of French speakers left in metro New Orleans in towns such as Chalmette. The towns along the river also have French speakers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City