Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ?
Chicago 99 45.21%
Mexico City 72 32.88%
Toronto 48 21.92%
Voters: 219. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2017, 05:56 PM

12,600 posts, read 9,396,045 times

Advertisements

Mexico City should have a -60 in the poll. What a **it hole IMO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2017, 06:05 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,898,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWestDude View Post
I don't know if i'd want to live there but as a place to visit it is WAY more fun than either Toronto or Chicago imo. So much life in the streets - just feels alive but this is much more typical in the developing world.

Old 05-07-2017, 06:06 PM
PDF

11,396 posts, read 13,433,721 times
Quote:
Have you been there? It's a pretty good city.

Old 05-07-2017, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Have you been there? It's a pretty good city.
Yes, the urban sprawl and hills after hills of shacks can't be made up with anything that's good in the city not to mention the spread out crime and the pollution

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81MBaQ4DG34

Old 05-07-2017, 06:37 PM
PDF

Quote:
Yes, the urban sprawl and hills after hills of shacks can't be made up with anything that's good in the city not to mention the spread out crime and the pollution

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81MBaQ4DG34
Sounds like Vegas and LA. As mentioned, Mexico City is a terrific place to visit.

Old 05-07-2017, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Sounds like Vegas and LA. As mentioned, Mexico City is a terrific place to visit.
unfair comparison if you just saying they (LV and LA) are only a place to visit along with MC ( which might be true) but their correlation with Mexico City with its miles and miles and miles of shacks just doesn't add up. MC is way below in comparison with the other two world class cities.

Last edited by WildWestDude; 05-07-2017 at 07:42 PM..

Old 05-07-2017, 07:25 PM

Of course Mexico city has its miles and miles of shacks - it has a metro area population of 20 million people. No city that size is going to have perfect urbanity. So yeah, MC is a mix of everything but at its core is incredibly vibrancy and liveliness on the streets that Toronto and Chicago will probably never match. The history and culture of the city is layers deeper and more interesting as well. There's impressive older architecture that dates back hundreds and hundreds of years. This is what a megacity with 20 million people looks like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuEr30lMlaQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yhv6eg-lG8

I definitely think Chicago and Toronto have their own pros so they're all great cities. I love the diversity of my city for example and I think Chicago has incredibly skyscraper architecture and great museums/arts and I'd probably prefer living in both over M.C - but in terms of excitement M.C is tough to beat. The only city in N.A that can really match it is NYC.

Last edited by fusion2; 05-07-2017 at 07:38 PM..

Old 05-07-2017, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Of course Mexico city has its miles and miles of shacks - it has a metro area population of 20 million people. No city that size is going to have perfect urbanity. So yeah, MC is a mix of everything but at its core is incredibly vibrancy and liveliness on the streets that Toronto and Chicago will probably never match. The history and culture of the city is layers deeper and more interesting as well. There's impressive older architecture that dates back hundreds and hundreds of years. This is what a megacity with 20 million people looks like.
liveliness and history still does not make up for the lopsided amount of shacks in that huge city.

Also, it is a known fact that cities with more temperate climates are more lively. Those northern cities can't be lively for a good eight months out of the year can they?

Old 05-07-2017, 07:39 PM
PDF

Quote:
unfair comparison if you just saying they (LV and LA) are only a place to visit along with MC ( which might be true) but the correlation of Mexico City with its miles and miles and miles of shacks just doesn't add up. MC is way below in comparison with the other two world class cities.
No there's no shacks in LA or Vegas but the rest of your criteria fits.

Old 05-07-2017, 07:43 PM

Quote:
liveliness and history still does not make up for the lopsided amount of shacks in that huge city.
Well i guess it depends on who you are and what you're looking for. I mean M.C is quite a bit poorer than Chicago and Toronto on a per capita basis. We are talking about a massive city in a developing country instead of two large cities in first world 'orderly' countries. I would most certainly prefer living and working in Chicago or Toronto for sure - but M.C is tough to beat on the excitement and adrenaline scale. I guess for me it isn't so black and white.

Quote:
Also, it is a known fact that cities with more temperate climates are more lively. Those northern cities can't be lively for a good eight months out of the year can they?
MC crushes Toronto and Chicago in liveliness all day, any day, any month and any year. Just because summer rolls around doesn't give Toronto or Chicago a chance at greater liveliness or vibrancy in this vs against M.C

Last edited by fusion2; 05-07-2017 at 08:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City