Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ?
Chicago 99 45.21%
Mexico City 72 32.88%
Toronto 48 21.92%
Voters: 219. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 06:15 PM

1,669 posts, read 4,239,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
Even if that were true (which it isn't), one third of Chicago is about 80 sq miles. That's double the size of Paris proper and 4 times the size of Manhattan. How much city do you need?

As for Toronto teeming with vibrancy, this is the kind of streetscapes you have not even one mile from Yonge street:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Toron...,160.87,,0,4.4

Downtown Toronto may be booming but the drop in density is staggeringly precipitous by big city standards. That, I suspect, is why people who have been to both cities say that Toronto feels much more small-scale and provincial by comparison.
The neighbourhoods just outside the downtown core (such as the one shown in your link) have densities in excess of 20,000 people per square mile, and the street you linked to might seem quiet, but it's mere steps away from Spadina Ave. which is an extremely busy and solidly built-up urban thoroughfare and the heart of the city's main Chinatown. Kensington market and Baldwin village are also just minutes away on foot. The whole area around that street is full of life and activity.

You go one mile West of the Loop in Chicago and you'll find desolate streets full of boarded up buildings and empty lots, how is that more urban or big city? Ok, not all of the areas outside the loop or the North side are desolate and crime ridden, but much of the West and South sides of Chicago definitely do fit that description.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2012, 06:46 PM

2,545 posts, read 3,294,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticman View Post
The neighbourhoods just outside the downtown core (such as the one shown in your link) have densities in excess of 20,000 people per square mile, and the street you linked to might seem quiet, but it's mere steps away from Spadina Ave. which is an extremely busy and solidly built-up urban thoroughfare and the heart of the city's main Chinatown. Kensington market and Baldwin village are also just minutes away on foot. The whole area around that street is full of life and activity.

You go one mile West of the Loop in Chicago and you'll find desolate streets full of boarded up buildings and empty lots, how is that more urban or big city?
You and Chandler must have been separated at birth. I show a typical streetscape in toronto within minutes walk of your Main Street that looks like hicksville and you hit me with density figures.

Go ahead, show me something less than a mile from Michigan Avenue that looks like Alabama. I'd love to see it.

Quote:
Ok, not all of the areas outside the loop or the North side are desolate and crime ridden, but much of the West and South sides of Chicago definitely do fit that description.
Oh not all now... So why did you say all in the prior post? Mindless bluster?

Old 10-22-2012, 07:11 PM

You can't get a feel for those streets from looking at them on street view. Walking along them is a totally different experience, and not for a second do they seem like Alabama hicksville.

Old 10-22-2012, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
You and Chandler must have been separated at birth. I show a typical streetscape in toronto within minutes walk of your Main Street that looks like hicksville and you hit me with density figures.

Go ahead, show me something less than a mile from Michigan Avenue that looks like Alabama. I'd love to see it.

Oh not all now... So why did you say all in the prior post? Mindless bluster?
Simple arithmetic. Chicago is divided into three sectors, North side, West side, and South side. West side + South side = two thirds.

Old 10-22-2012, 07:27 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,498,822 times
Quote:

You go one mile West of the Loop in Chicago and you'll find desolate streets full of boarded up buildings and empty lots, how is that more urban or big city? Ok, not all of the areas outside the loop or the North side are desolate and crime ridden, but much of the West and South sides of Chicago definitely do fit that description.
one mile west of the loop would be in the west loop or greek town, which is full of expensive lofts and some of the best restaurants in the city off Randolph...It might have been like that 20 years ago... not now.
south of that is little italy and uic... so still fine there...
Past that is the RUSH and the Medical District, which is also fine.
if you move over south west off roosevelt and canal you'll find whole foods, dsw, Pet Smart.
South Michigan and Indiana down to 18th are lined with high rise condos

The west side doesn't get bad until past the united center around Damen, which is 2000 W 2.4 miles west of state/madison. But just north of there is Ukranian Village

The "west side" of Chicago is technically quite small and half of that is technically the "north side" ... so no, not 2/3 of the city.

chicago is a north/south city.

Last edited by grapico; 10-22-2012 at 07:43 PM..

Old 10-22-2012, 07:36 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,410,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
one mile west of the loop would be in the west loop, which is full of expensive lofts and some of the best restaurants in the city off Randolph...It might have been like that 20 years ago... not now.
Still, it seems pretty clear that Fitzrovian was cherry-picking yet again. This street scape is less than one mile from the Willis Tower: 1027 south canal street chicago - Google Maps

Accurate representation of Chicago? Probably not.

Anyway, I was "wandering" around that neighborhood in Toronto--I must admit, it looks damn nice. Reminds me of a few outer San Francisco nabes, sans hills and way leafer. Coral Gables clearly searched out the least structurally dense street he could find, and passed it off as a "typical" Toronto street. The guy is shameless.

Old 10-22-2012, 07:39 PM

Here's a recent pic of downtown Toronto, Fitzrovian. The street you linked to on streetview is hidden in the trees just above the cluster of buildings immediately to the right of the CN Tower.

By Christina Karchevskaya on Flickr

Old 10-22-2012, 07:40 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,398,088 times
Quote:
Simple arithmetic. Chicago is divided into three sectors, North side, West side, and South side. West side + South side = two thirds.
And the entirety of the West side and the South side aren't bad, desolate or boarded up, and the West side is a relatively small part of the city, so it's not "two thirds" as you claim. Besides, most of the sensationalized crime is located to small pockets in different parts of the West and South sides.

Old 10-22-2012, 07:48 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,498,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Still, it seems pretty clear that Fitzrovian was cherry-picking yet again. This street scape is less than one mile from the Willis Tower: 1027 south canal street chicago - Google Maps

Anyway, I was "wandering" around that neighborhood in Toronto--I must admit, it looks damn nice. Reminds me of a few outer San Francisco nabes, sans hills and way leafer. Coral Gables clearly searched out the least structurally dense street he could find, and passed it off as a "typical" Toronto street. The guy is shameless.
Definitely not accurate you are about to enter the rail road yards at that point and a power plant. But there is a whole foods 1 block away, so certainly not terrible, it just isn't residential, it's industrial with commercial districts to serve the west and south loop communities with big box stores.
There is also a gigantic abandoned post office near there. As is the main new post office facilities.
That area is actually extremely packed on the weekends do the shopping and they close down the street for Maxwell Street market.
This is that same area on the weekend...
http://www.explorechicago.org/city/e...et_market.html
Chicago has a massive urban/industrial area near the cbd which brings in food/trains/etc, similar to LA.

Last edited by grapico; 10-22-2012 at 07:59 PM..

Old 10-22-2012, 07:51 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,398,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post

It's actually pretty interesting how different of a feeling even Google street view has if the pictures are taken during winter/early spring (like the Chicago picture) or during summer (like the Toronto picture). Interestingly, I don't see much wrong with that Chicago picture you posted, especially given that it is sandwiched by a huge rail yard just to its East and 90/94 to its West.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City