Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ?
Chicago 99 45.21%
Mexico City 72 32.88%
Toronto 48 21.92%
Voters: 219. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 11:50 AM

979 posts, read 2,093,797 times

Advertisements

Here are my 2 cents. Chicago and Toronto are great cities, no doubt. Mexico City is great too but the place gets a bad rap because its in a third world nation. The smog, altitude and crime would drive away tourist. The perception is that there are a lot of kidnappings, the water is dirty, and just seems like a very dangerous place to visit and live in.

And it can be. There are a lot of poor people living in slums, barrios. The police can be corrupt. But who could blame them. They are way underpaid compared to American police officers. But perception isn't always the reality. Mexico City isn't any different from say Buenos Aires, Santiago, Chile, or Chicago and Detroit.

My grandparents live in Mexico City, so I've been to DF numerous times. Yes, Mexico City certainly has its problems but Chicago is a dump, crime ridden city too. Mexico City is an energetic, flamboyant metropolis with some amazing neighborhoods such as Chapultepec Park, Polanco, Interlomas, Roma, Condesa, San Angel, Coyoacan, Reforma.

I love the open street markets (or Tianquis) that happen pretty much in every neighborhood. You can get any kind of fruit, food, or clothing. I love it when street performers do their acts inside a Mexico City subway train or bus. The Zocalo, the main public square, is the center of activity for protest, major concerts, presidential and religious events, etc...

Chicago is home to the skyscraper, but Mexico City preserves its history quite well. From the Centro Historico, where most of the 5-10 story buildings, date back to the colonial era to the 500 year old Cathedral Metropolitana, built by the Spaniards on top of the great Aztec temple.

Mexico City is also the mecca for museums, theaters, and other cultural and intellectual attractions -- Museo de Anthropologia, Museo de Frida Kahlo, Bellas Artes, UNAM...

As for as diversity go, Mexico City does have an ethnic population. It isn't just a bunch of Mexicans. With being the capital of Mexico, there are over 200 embassies, most of them on Reforma Ave. Most of those diplomats and representatives have raised their children in Mexico. It's common to see Mexicans of Asian, European and American descent anywhere in the city. But we see much of that diversity in the downtown core, in Condesa, Roma, and Insurgentes, and in the suburbs. There is a strong Jew population in DF. (
Jewish neighborhoods of Mexico City - YouTube )

The gastronomy scene is quite good. Obviously, ethnic food (Chinese, Italian, Japanese...) taste better in San Francisco, New York, LA,, but Mexico City's restaurant scene is well regard as the best of Latin America. Still ethnic restaurants are aplenty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2012, 12:12 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,513,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pistola916 View Post
but Mexico City's restaurant scene is well regard as the best of Latin America. Still ethnic restaurants are aplenty.
While I am not sure, I have heard Sao Paolo wins this.

Old 10-25-2012, 12:36 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,571,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Safety: Toronto, Mexico City, Chicago
They must really have good drugs out there in California. There is no way that Chicago is a more dangerous city than Mexico City. Most folks in Mexico City don't even bother report crime because they don't trust the cops. The drug cartels pretty much control the police department. I read somwhere that only 1 out of 10 people report crimes to the police. Hell, the cartels have sent cops to do hits dressed in uniform(lol).

If you compare the whole region of Mexico City (19 million) to Chicago proper it MAY be safer statistically. I'm 100% sure than you can find a large part of that region that's more dangerous than the city proper of Chicago. Come on, you have to be smarter than that.

Old 10-25-2012, 02:32 PM

934 posts, read 1,441,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pistola916 View Post
Chicago and Toronto are great cities, no doubt...Chicago is a dump, crime ridden city...
Um...which one is it?

I could see an argument for either city. Mexico City is a huge, powerful metropolis with many amazing artifacts that date all the way back to the Aztecs, and the city also has some surprisingly progressive aspects like legalized gay marriage.

However, Chicago is no lightweight either. I think because it's in the Midwest, some people are dismissive about the cultural offerings of Chicago. It's home to many top museums, theaters, and restaurants. There are many areas where these two can compete. I think Mexico City wins in history, but Chicago ftw in education/universities.

Old 10-25-2012, 02:54 PM

443 posts, read 877,819 times
Anyone who doesn't vote for Mexico City has never been there. It's denser, more bustling, and more vibrant than either Chicago or Toronto by a lot. Of course, it has a lot of negatives in comparison to those cities as well - but if the question is on vibrancy, urbanoty, public transit, etc. - it's not even close.

Old 10-25-2012, 02:57 PM

443 posts, read 877,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOOK MA NO HANDS View Post
Well here is mine .......

vibrancy-Chicago/Mexico city/ Toronto
culture-Mexico city/ Chicago/ Toronto
size- Mexico City/ Chicago/ Toronto
amenities- Chicago/ Mexico city/ Toronto
scenery-Toronto/ Mexico city/ Chicago
international influence-Chicago/Mexico City/Toronto
food-Chicago/ Mexico city/ Toronto
more urban-Mexico City/Chicago/Toronto
history-Mexico City/Chicago/Toronto
architecture-Chicago/Mexico city/ Toronto
public transit-Toronto/ Chicago/Mexico City
Also, Mexico City has a great subway system with nearly 4 million daily riders. It has better public transit than both Toronto and Chicago.

Old 10-25-2012, 03:30 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,416,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
They must really have good drugs out there in California. There is no way that Chicago is a more dangerous city than Mexico City. Most folks in Mexico City don't even bother report crime because they don't trust the cops. The drug cartels pretty much control the police department. I read somwhere that only 1 out of 10 people report crimes to the police. Hell, the cartels have sent cops to do hits dressed in uniform(lol).

If you compare the whole region of Mexico City (19 million) to Chicago proper it MAY be safer statistically. I'm 100% sure than you can find a large part of that region that's more dangerous than the city proper of Chicago. Come on, you have to be smarter than that.
Chicago named "The Deadliest Global City" - BlackListedNews.com

If you can combat this with something other than "dude, no one reports murders in Mexico City" I'll revise my ranking. The truth is, DF has largely been spared from the Mexican drug wars. Not completely, but it isnt Sinaloa either. As such, the murder rate is less than half that of Chicago's.

Our weed is pretty damn good though. No doubt.

Old 10-25-2012, 03:49 PM

979 posts, read 2,093,797 times
[quote=thefallensrvnge;26666782]Um...which one is it?

I mean Chicago isn't paradise either despite the fact that it is in the USA. Great city but it faces many challenges regarding crime and poverty like Mexico City.

I'm not saying Mexico City is better than Chicago, in fact on the contrary. Chicago has a lot going for it. I'm saying people shouldn't dismiss Mexico City because it lies in a third world country.

Old 10-25-2012, 05:15 PM

362 posts, read 665,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relegate View Post
Also, Mexico City has a great subway system with nearly 4 million daily riders. It has better public transit than both Toronto and Chicago.
you cant change someone's opinion to better suit your own..I travelled to the city twice in three years, so I can say that its decent but certainly not were it should be for an area of 21 million(in my opinion).

Old 10-25-2012, 05:38 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,790,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post

Your taking facts from mostly around border towns and applying it to the whole. Mexico City hasn't seen much of that. I read a report not to long ago where some Mexico City citizens even believed that the whole war on drugs thing was probably made up by the government to pocket the money because they saw so little of the action. It's like if Mexicans took the Colorado shooting and all the bomb threats that happen and said that Chicago is unsafe because of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City