Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ?
Chicago 99 45.21%
Mexico City 72 32.88%
Toronto 48 21.92%
Voters: 219. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 06:11 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,742,172 times

Advertisements

Sweetie, I know you have a crush on Chicago, but Americans still feel safer in Chicago compared to Los Angeles. Even the LA residents don't feel as safe when asked about it

America's Favorite Cities 2011 - Quality of Life and Visitor Experience - Safety | Travel + Leisure

24 Chicago 3.73
25 Philadelphia 3.70
26 Houston 3.59
27 Memphis 3.54
28 Washington, D.C. 3.54
29 New York City 3.48
30 Los Angeles 3.39
31 New Orleans 3.35
32 Dallas/Fort Worth 3.23
33 Miami 3.23
34 Atlanta 2.99
35 Baltimore 2.92

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Chicago named "The Deadliest Global City" - BlackListedNews.com

If you can combat this with something other than "dude, no one reports murders in Mexico City" I'll revise my ranking. The truth is, DF has largely been spared from the Mexican drug wars. Not completely, but it isnt Sinaloa either. As such, the murder rate is less than half that of Chicago's.

Our weed is pretty damn good though. No doubt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2012, 06:36 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,414,249 times
The murder rate in Chicago is nearly 3x that of Los Angeles. Crime in Chicago is worse at all levels.

An idiotic T&L poll isn't going to change those startling FACTS.

Old 10-25-2012, 06:45 PM

Keep crying

American cities favorability poll

The Pacific Northwest has a good reputation nationwide--the two most popular of the 21 prominent cities we asked about in our national poll last weekend are Seattle and Portland, OR. 57% of American voters see Seattle favorably and only 14% unfavorably, edging out Portland (52-12) by three points on the margin.

The most unpopular is Detroit, which only 22% see positively and 49% negatively. Americans have net-negative impressions of only two other of these cities, and both are in California: Oakland (21-39) and Los Angeles (33-40). In February, PPP found California to be the least popular state in the union. It does have the 11th most popular city, though: San Francisco (48-29).

American cities favorability poll - Public Policy Polling

Quote:
Bwahahaha!

The murder rate in Chicago is nearly 3x that of Los Angeles. Crime in Chicago is worse at all levels.

An idiotic T&L poll isn't going to change those startling FACTS.

Old 10-25-2012, 07:11 PM

Keep crying? I'm not the one attempting to make myself feel better by posting opinion polls, including one that is completely unrelated to the subject of crime. That would be you, chief.

Old 10-25-2012, 07:41 PM

Blah blah...still it doesn't change the fact that Americans do feel less safe in Los Angeles than Chicago (according to the survey)

Quote:
Keep crying? I'm not the one attempting to make myself feel better by posting opinion polls, including one that is completely unrelated to the subject of crime. That would be you, chief.

Old 10-25-2012, 07:56 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,570,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post

you could say that about Chicago, and what does a lack of large homes have to do with anything?
https://www.city-data.com/top2/c3.html

There are a LOT more cities in this country with higher poverty rates than Chicago.

Old 10-25-2012, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown1 View Post
Blah blah...still it doesn't change the fact that Americans do feel less safe in Los Angeles than Chicago (according to the survey)
Facts > opinion polls

Old 10-25-2012, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Chicago named "The Deadliest Global City" - BlackListedNews.com

If you can combat this with something other than "dude, no one reports murders in Mexico City" I'll revise my ranking. The truth is, DF has largely been spared from the Mexican drug wars. Not completely, but it isnt Sinaloa either. As such, the murder rate is less than half that of Chicago's.
This was all over the Chicago news but thanks for posting the link anyway. It does seem odd to compare 222 square miles of Chicago to 1600 square miles of Sao Paulo or 600 square miles of Mexico City. Mexico City proper has almost as many people as Chicago's urbanized area. Chicago's crime is heavily concentrated in certain south and west side neighborhoods so those stats are a bit misleading in those cases. There's no doubt that those other cities are much safer than Chicago though.

Quote:
Our weed is pretty damn good though. No doubt.
I know because I've smoked plenty of it. I have friends in Los Angeles and they always have the best.

Old 10-25-2012, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollaztx View Post
Your taking facts from mostly around border towns and applying it to the whole. Mexico City hasn't seen much of that. I read a report not to long ago where some Mexico City citizens even believed that the whole war on drugs thing was probably made up by the government to pocket the money because they saw so little of the action. It's like if Mexicans took the Colorado shooting and all the bomb threats that happen and said that Chicago is unsafe because of it.
I think it's a pretty well-known fact that Mexico is flooding the US with meth, cocaine and other drugs. Something like 80% of the meth imported to the United States comes from Mexico. The drug cartels there are quite real and extremely violent. The corruption is overt and startling. You can't really compare the two. The economy of Mexico City is smaller than Chicago's depite being a much larger city. Where there is poverty there is crime. In terms of economic development, Mexico City has a LONG way to go before it can be compared to Chicago in that respect.

Old 10-25-2012, 08:36 PM

Well, as long as visitors/residents still feel safer in Chicago than Los Angeles, I am fine with that

Quote:
Facts > opinion polls
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City