Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 04:38 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
Mississippi has no big cities. Alabama has Mobile and Birmingham.
If you consider Mobile to be a "big city" for Alabama, then that makes Jackson a big city for Mississippi.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2012, 04:49 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,967,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
If you consider Mobile to be a "big city" for Alabama, then that makes Jackson a big city for Mississippi.
This ^

Jackson's metro population is actually over 100,000 people more than Mobile's. Jackson is at 535,000 and Mobile is at 412,000.

Old 11-02-2012, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
Mississippi has Courtney Roxanne!!!! (the new Miss Ole Miss). She's a very nice girl, and everybody likes her. But what's important is that enough of the student body HATE the sick Football Machine/Semi-pro athletic disease ruining the academic experience for most students in the South, that they were willing to vote her in over the usual array of Simpering Sorority Suzies vying for the honor.

Ole Miss crowns first African-American homecoming queen - 50 years after the university ended segregation | Mail Online

In other words, the new generation at that formerly detestable school for conformists is a lot cooler than those preceding it. Wow! I think it says wonderful things about the future of the state, that the kids at Mississippi's most gung-ho-conformist school were willing to make such a statement with their votes. They were voting AGAINST the whole sick system in the South, which overvalues dumb jocks and purdy lil'ol' gals, and undervalues brainy 'Eggheads' and free-thinkers.

When Courtney was elected, my kids called slightly younger kids they knew were at Ole Miss, and asked about it. The consensus was (condensed and paraphrased by YT): "We showed them what we thought of their whole sick system of rewarding stupidity, violence and the objectification of women. We genuinely like Courtney, but most important: we are fed up with the emphasis placed on athletic ability and 'beauty', at an institution whose purpose is to educate. We like Courtney way more than those vapid Sorority Suzies. This is revenge for all the time we were forced to waste, from gradeschool on, at compulsory pep rallies, and all the other sports-related garbage that ruins schools in the South."

The minds of Mississippians were formerly tied into tight little knots. For the middle and upper classes, most of their mental energy was spent in trying to deny reality: to not see or say the truth...to only see and say that which was seemly (seemly, according to a long set of unspoken rules). But those knots are gradually coming undone ...loosening... unraveling, bit by bit. Recently, I've heard of two big groups of middle-aged swingers, in my old town. One was among members of the Yacht Club. Another was at a pricey planned community. Formerly, swinging in Mississippi was for the very young, for Trailer Trash, and for the Bodybuilding Community. And now it's for middle-aged SOCIALITES? Wow!

The thought of car keys in a bowl makes my skin crawl. But at the same time, how wonderful that a social set who once were not allowed to say 'hell' and 'damn' (or even say 'pregnant' in mixed company) can now have wife-swapping parties is mind-boggling.

Conformity and Surrender of Intelligence were Mississippi's greatest problems (well, other than the climate and the vast ineducable Underclass). Now, apparently, people are able to buck the dogma and do as they please. Mirabile dictu!

But otherwise comparing the two states:
Mississippi has the Delta. Alabama has the equally aristocratic Black Belt.

Mississippi has Madison. Alabama has the bigger and richer, but possibly less brainy, Mountain Brook.

Mississippi has a Mob-dominated coast that looks like a giant sewage lagoon. Alabama has a pretty wonderful coast.

Alabama has a lot of true blonds. Mississippi's only big pocket of true, down-to-the-roots-&-eyelashes-too blonds is around Hattiesburg.

Mississippi has no big cities. Alabama has Mobile and Birmingham.

Alabama is close to Pensacola's fabulous beaches. Mississippi is close to hellholes like Memphis and New Orleans.

Alabama has the Fairhope beach community. Mississippi has Ocean Springs.

Mississippi has Tupelo. Alabama has the Golden Triangle.

Both states have new business opportunities. Both have some nice communities, and a lot of pitiful ones. Mississippi's voters tend to vote heavier FOR hate-legislation (anti-woman, anti-Gay). Mississippi has the lowest collective IQ. Mississippi tends to lead the nation in all negative quality-of-life indicia.

Alabama is, at present, a better place to live (on average) than is Mississippi. But things seem to be changing (as indicated by the election of Courtney, and the emergence of upper-middle-class swing groups).

Both states share a wonderful asset: HORRIBLE REPUTATIONS. These, hopefully, will deter an influx of the kinds of people who are ruining North Carolina, South Carolina, and Georgia. The more one can paint the two states as being the scenes of never-ending, border-to-border KKK lynch mobs, the brighter their futures will be.
WONDERFUL POST! This is exactly what I was looking for!

Old 11-02-2012, 07:30 PM

2,488 posts, read 4,320,786 times
I wouldn't mind living in either states but I'd prefer Alabama as it's closer to Florida. My fiancee and I are even thinking about relocating to Alabama. They're both nice states though.

Old 11-02-2012, 10:32 PM

1,186 posts, read 1,510,526 times
Alabama by a 5 miles and 3 decades.

Auburn is a true college town, as is Tuscaloosa.

Birmingham is definitely an asset to Alabama, and Huntsville, Mobile, and Montgomery pull their own weight too.

Alabama as a whole is more progressive than Mississippi. I have my issues with Alabama as well, but if I had to, I could definitely live in Birmingham, or Huntsville. They wouldn't be my first choices if I had to ever leave Georgia, but there is no way in Heaven or Hell that you'd get me to live anywhere in Mississippi.

In recent years Mississippi has taken great strides to try and show that they've moved beyond the mid-1900's but I've been to that state on 3 different occasions, the last being 2008, and I said then that that time was the LAST time I'd make a trip there. The racism, close mindedness, and political ignorance is still there and probably more widespread than in any other state in the US. Yeah, I said it.

Old 11-03-2012, 12:04 AM

How about this little fact. Abortion is still legal in Mississippi, and it's outlawed in Alabama. Hmm.

Old 11-03-2012, 12:07 AM

4,999 posts, read 9,143,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
This ^

Jackson's metro population is actually over 100,000 people more than Mobile's. Jackson is at 535,000 and Mobile is at 412,000.
Mobile`s Metro of 412,000 is just Mobile County only while Jackson`s metro consist of 5 counties.Mobile`s 2 county CSA is over 600,000 which is larger than Jacksons CSA. Mobile `s CSA is on track to gain 2 more counties so we will see around 2013. I think Hinds County(Jackson) has 280,00.

Old 11-03-2012, 12:09 AM

Oh, it's also illegal to smoke in a bar/restaurant in Mississippi. Is that a law in Alabama? Not sure.

South Haven in northern Mississippi is turning out to be a budding suburb of Memphis, one of the wealthier towns in the state.

Old 11-03-2012, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
Mobile`s Metro of 412,000 is just Mobile County only while Jackson`s metro consist of 5 counties.Mobile`s 2 county CSA is over 600,000 which is larger than Jacksons CSA. Mobile `s CSA is on track to gain 2 more counties so we will see around 2013. I think Hinds County(Jackson) has 280,00.
Good point!

Old 11-03-2012, 12:23 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isawooty View Post
Auburn is a true college town, as is Tuscaloosa.
Oxford is a true college town; not sure about Starkville though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City